Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp to replace 2 amps rig

kalaleo

Hi everyone! first time posting here :) 
I've done some research but I found contradictory statements online, so I wanted to ask you guys. If what I ask is an obvious known thing, I'm very sorry in advance!

I play in a 2 pieces band (guitar and drums) and to make the sound "fuller" I play with 2 amps at the same time: a fender hot rod deluxe and a fender bass amp (can't recall the name atm)
As you can imagine it's heavy to bring both amps to gigs (on top of my massive pedalboard) so I was thinking to get a a Helix Stomp to replace the amplifiers and go straight, stereo, to the PA.

So, is the little guy strong enough to do that?
I would just use it to emulate a guitar amp and a bass amp (both with cabinets) simultaneously in stereo parallel and, if there is still enough power, I'd use some of its effects as well, especially EQs.

If so, would it also be possible to insert my whole pedalboard in the helix digital chain? so that I can occasionally put helix effects before the board or after (while still working as dual amplifiers).

thank you in advance!
leo

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kalaleo said:

Hi everyone! first time posting here :) 
I've done some research but I found contradictory statements online, so I wanted to ask you guys. If what I ask is an obvious known thing, I'm very sorry in advance!

I play in a 2 pieces band (guitar and drums) and to make the sound "fuller" I play with 2 amps at the same time: a fender hot rod deluxe and a fender bass amp (can't recall the name atm)
As you can imagine it's heavy to bring both amps to gigs (on top of my massive pedalboard) so I was thinking to get a a Helix Stomp to replace the amplifiers and go straight, stereo, to the PA.

So, is the little guy strong enough to do that?
I would just use it to emulate a guitar amp and a bass amp (both with cabinets) simultaneously in stereo parallel and, if there is still enough power, I'd use some of its effects as well, especially EQs.

If so, would it also be possible to insert my whole pedalboard in the helix digital chain? so that I can occasionally put helix effects before the board or after (while still working as dual amplifiers).

thank you in advance!
leo

You totally can do, it I'll snap a couple photos and show you how I do it

Capture.thumb.JPG.cd23020389fffb844c7145443515137d.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.d2fad97d49371dfcacee47abba5c4608.JPG

This how you separate the amps main L/R to pa and send L/R to pa, because there are two amps it takes up quite a bit of dsp but if you stick with mono effects you should be able to have an effects loop before the amps and some effects. stereo amps are nice but it takes up a ton of dsp and you won't be able to have reverb or delay after unless you have two analog/digital delay pedals with midi controlling so you can control bpm.

• Like 1

Man you’re amazing! Thank you for the pictures and clear explanation! 
gonna order the pedal even today then :)

Here is a shot of my board, gonna try to squeeze the stomp somewhere 
Thanks a lot!!

8ADE6DF7-B66C-4CF0-BB44-C892F6808A63.jpeg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nylander88 said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.cd23020389fffb844c7145443515137d.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.d2fad97d49371dfcacee47abba5c4608.JPG

This how you separate the amps main L/R to pa and send L/R to pa, because there are two amps it takes up quite a bit of dsp but if you stick with mono effects you should be able to have an effects loop before the amps and some effects. stereo amps are nice but it takes up a ton of dsp and you won't be able to have reverb or delay after unless you have two analog/digital delay pedals with midi controlling so you can control bpm.

Is this a screenshot from HX Edit?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, optofonik said:

Is this a screenshot from HX Edit?

Yes, only a portion of the screen though @optofonic. glad to help @kalaleo! you'll be able to do a lot of stuff within HX Stomp and your board, tapping into the midi on the stomp will be fun for you as i see a couple of fun pedals on your board!

8 hours ago, kalaleo said:

I play in a 2 pieces band (guitar and drums

If your band ever gets another guitarist and you can't bring your entire board to a gig you can use a midi controller to make a mini board and use the stomp only, at some point in future firmware updates the stomp is going to have up to 8 blocks. so you could run a mono board and have:

1. Dist

2. Dist

3. mod

4. mod

5. Mod

6. Amp+Cab

7. Delay

8. Verb

I recommend getting the morning star MC8,  it will be fun to have and work when you just want to use the stomp

The HX Stomp is a great little box. Even with the current 6 block limit, the two amp patch is doable. If your effect needs aren’t that great, you can pan each amp and add a slight delay before one of them to get a really nice, full sound. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot guys! 
Awesome advices, but we will stay as a 2 piece band, we’re pretty established already :) (if you’re curious, check Socks and Ballerinas )

Any advice on some speakers for the practice room that would work well with this setup?
We don’t have one as we never needed them... I heard lots of good things about EV ZLX12P, although they seem pricey

• Upvote 1

Hi! I finally received the HX stomp, but when I tried to make the stereo sound, it comes only form one speaker while the other doesn't (not a problem with the speakers, I tried them both.)

What did I do wrong?
here is my path, I split the end in two separate outs as you can see and I would want the first amp to go to R and the second to L. But, seems to me that the second one is going into send instead of main L? 

I have a gig next weekend and it would be nice to solve it by then... Thank you in advance!

path 1.jpg

path 2.jpg

Hi,

I don't use the editor but here are two screenshots that show how to set it up from the front panel.

Note the tiny white circle that is selected ("Mixer"). It has two pages, one picture per page. You can drag it around like a block with the "Action" button.

IMG_20200705_223053.thumb.jpg.a4381de8f9f3267297147ab33948a9d7.jpgIMG_20200705_223105.thumb.jpg.cb24a473f1c508f57a070fe113d1e585.jpg

So we pan one path hard left, the other hard right, levels at 0 dB. This leaves send / return free for the pedalboard.

My example uses "Cali Texas Ch1" and "Ch2" as "amp with cab", therefore there are only two blocks.

You can use both output pairs if you like - it enables stereo on both (if you'd have a stereo effect) but you'd sacrifice the send / return ports to insert a pedalboard.

From the front panel, you'd move the cursor over said tiny white "Mixer" circle, press the Action button and change "Path A" to route to the "send" port.

Even if you don't need an insert, using the L/R-panned version may be still more convenient on a pedalboard because all the plugs are on the back panel and the sides are left free, further you have one volume button for both amps.

PS: completely OT: if you're now plugging the guitar into the HX stomp input, note that there is an "input impedance" setting hidden on the 2nd page of the input circle ("In-Z"). Just pointing out that it exists. If in doubt, leave at default but if for some reason you find the overall sound too harsh, 230k or 136k may work better.

So you are sending the top path out the Main L/R panned all of the way to the Right and the bottom path out the Send panned fully to the Left. Are you connected to the Main L/Mono and Main R Output jacks on the back of the unit? Because with this setup, only the Main R output has any audio comin from it.  The other output is currently going out of your Send jack on the side of the unit. Not your Main Left output jack. You have NO audio coming out of your Main Left output jack. It's going to the Send jack which is a Stereo jack on the side, so in order to use it with it panned all the way to the right, you need a stereo/TRS cable that will split into two different mono cables. OR, you just need to change the bottom path's output the Main as well and pan it to all the way to the left. this will get you a signal out of both the Main L & R. which is what I think you want.