Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DL4 or HD500?

eenymason

Hi guys - any that are still using these dinosaurs! :)

I have two HD500 modellers, and haven't been using either of them with any regularity for quite a while now.

I'm considering buying a DL4 (delay modeller), and after watching Bill Frisell showing how he still gets great use out of that piece of gear after years of going through other failing pedals, I wonder if the Pod HD500 can be set up to loop, etc in the same way that the DL4 does, to be brought in and out of play. I'm sure I could do hours of research, and still not really know what I want to know, without actually buying a DL4, to ascertain whether I actually need it or not, to do that kind of usage of time/pitch change, loop reversal kind of stuff. I love it, but wouldn't know how to go about it on the HD500.

Does anybody use their HD500 in the same kind of way that Bill Frisell does here? Is it possible, or does DL4 have different capabilities?

Hi, I'm still using the "dinosaur" and I play also jazz, but nothig similar to the Bill Frisell style, and honestly I haven't tried much to find types of sound similar to the ones in the video clip.

But what I know is that all the delay models which are in the DL4 are also in the HD500 (with the advantage in the POD of having an expression pedal already incorporated), so unless you need to use a smaller unit I wouldn't suggest to buy the DL4.

Moreover, based on what I hear in the video clip I would say that with the POD it should be possible to get those sound effects (time/pitch change, loop reversal kind of stuff) quite easily. The tools are there if you want to use them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Like 1

This is the looper mode from the HD500: 

maxresdefault.jpg

You can:

undo,

play once or loop infinitely,

place the looper at the beginning of the path(s) --> PRE,

place the looper at the end of the path(s) --> POST,

record and overdub,

stop and play,

record full speed/force playback half as fast (half speed plays back one octave down),

record half speed/force playback twice as fast (double speed plays back one octave up),

and lastly, force reverse playback.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies - I guess I should have said that I have used the looper a few times on the HD, but I'm wondering if the DL4 has specific functions that the HD doesn't?

Maybe I need to post this question on the other effects forum page?
I guess I figured someone here may have spent intimate time using the looper and all it's associated functionality on both units.....

Maybe I just need to get all jiggy with the HD today, and see what I can do with it!

33 minutes ago, eenymason said:

Maybe I need to post this question on the other effects forum page?

Why not?

34 minutes ago, eenymason said:

I'm wondering if the DL4 has specific functions that the HD doesn't

I think they have exactly the same features with regards to Delay effects and Looper.

Actually the POD Looper compared to the DL4 offers more: up to 24 seconds recording time (48 seconds at half speed)..
the DL4: up to 14 seconds recording time (28 seconds at half speed).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips