Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo vs. Mono question

prudenjim

I posted this on TGP but did not receive a reply and thought I’d check in here as well.

I have a WDW-like preset and my wet signal follows along path 2. That path splits in two (via a Split-Y block) balanced hard left and hard right. Delay, reverb and limiter blocks on each of those two paths to control timing, mix, etc.

To save DSP I am using Mono blocks.  My thinking being the paths are  panned 100% in each direction so what would a stereo block do for me?

Does the spread and scale parameters have an effect to a single speaker?

After the split, each path has a stereo delay, stereo reverb and stereo compressor, so it should all be stereo from the delay on.

The mono copy of the same patch has all mono and both copies are pained hard right for one path and hard left for the other..  I’m wondering when I play out if there will be a difference in sound using the stereo blocks.  I don’t hear much a difference but that is with studio monitors.

16 hours ago, brue58ski said:

I would say if you don't hear it in the studio, you won't hear it live.

Heck, I'd even say if you hear it in the studio it's entirely likely you won't hear it live given the position of the audience that don't favor equal hearing of both stereo channels, and lousy acoustics creating acoustic reflections of most places you're likely to play.

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Heck, I'd even say if you hear it in the studio it's entirely likely you won't hear it live given the position of the audience that don't favor equal hearing of both stereo channels, and lousy acoustics creating acoustic reflections of most places you're likely to play.

This is also absolutely true, but you definitely won't hear it in the field if you don't hear it in the studio. He said "  I don’t hear much a difference but that is with studio monitors." and that was what I was speaking to.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

This is also absolutely true, but you definitely won't hear it in the field if you don't hear it in the studio. He said "  I don’t hear much a difference but that is with studio monitors." and that was what I was speaking to.

Totally agree here! I have tried stereo live and it just does not seem to work. I sounds great on headphones but stereo reverbs and delays sounded terrible when I used them live. Note that it could simply be user error on my part and could be reflective of my complete inability to set up a good sounding stereo patch.