Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impulse Responses

andymguitar

I known this has been covered before, but I can't see a post recently so...

I'm mainly happy with stock cabs. Haven't been more impressed by the free IRs I've tried, but want to give it another go. Which IRs do you swear by?

I'm playing a fairly broad mix of stuff, nothing really heavy. My go to 'real' amp is a Fender Hotrod deville 112 if that helps..

I pretty much exclusively use IRs in all of my presets, mostly due to convenience.  Like yourself I play a wide range of genres and styles.  I depend on three vendors which are Ownhammer, Celestion and Redwirez, each for different reasons which I'll get into in a moment.

The thing is, I can get pretty much the same effect I get from IRs using stock cabinets, it just takes longer to implement due to all the twiddling around with them.  Since I have well over 200 presets, that's a lot of twiddling.  So it's much easier for me to simply select an IR and drop it into a preset and be done with it.  It's also much easier to audition them to see what best fits the preset.  Although there are some differences in the three IR vendors, I have to say that once you determine what type of setup (mic, mic combinations and mic placements) tends to work best for you, the difference between vendors is fairly minimal.

I only have about 70 IRs actually loaded which I choose from.  The Ownhammer IRs tend to have the widest and most exotic selection of mic setups such as the Massively Multi Mic Collections which can use up to six mics and mic positions.  The Celestions tend to be very accurate and have a bit more in the way of available mics.  Redwirez are useful in that they have the widest most exotic collection of speaker cabinets such as the HiWatt Fanes or Uberkabs which can easily be mixed together using their MixIR tool if you purchase their Big Box collection to create your own customized setup.

• Like 1

I'm very happy with the OwnHammer (r)Evolution bundle. Gives you a wide range of speaker cabs with (for me) more than enough variations/ mixes. Well worth the money as far as I'm concerned. https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449 

I tried some 4x12 Cabs from Celestion with V30's; these also sound very good, yet different. Need to admit that I'm currently not using them.

My favourite at the moment is the OwnHammer 412 MRBW GNR M25 MMMC. Those files work great with the Plexi and JCM models in the Helix to get that classic Marshall sound, but when combined with the HiWatt or Placater models (or whatever these are called exactly) it can give very nice clean and breakup tones as well. Not yet sure if I like this cab with more modern hi gain sounds (like the RevvGen) but usually the gain provided by the Plexi and JCM models is sufficient for my needs anyhow.

Hope this helps ...

• Like 1

I"ve used some different companies as mentioned above as well, all sounded good.  My latest preset iterations are using the York Audio IR's.  They are more full range than lots of the other ones I've used, so you need to utilize low/high cuts properly, but the punch/character of them works best for me (right now, lol).

• Like 1

Thank everyone! Good advice. I think part of the problem was I dived in when I first bought the helix and had 8 free ones, I found the stock cabs more realistic! they were Allure and Cenzo, but I didn't do any cutting of eq, which I now do in most patches automatically!

Maybe I'll invest in a set, (own hammer seem popular) and have a good play through!

8 hours ago, andymguitar said:

Ok! I've bought the Ownhammer bundle. there are loads of files, do I have to import each one individually?

You can import from HX Edit and highlight multiple IRs in your file system. If you prefer you can drag and drop them from your file system into consecutive slot(s) starting with the IR slot you select(hover over) in HX Edit's 'Impulses' tab.

I put one in at random last night on my go to sound and it was much better than the stock cab which I was more or less happy with! I'll import all the summary's and go from there. I think that's part of the problem (in a way with modelling as a whole.) You can spend hours changing sounds and go round in circles! So many files in the bundle..