Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the HX Effects as a Midi Controller for external gear

Boyter

I'm new to the Helix party!  So far I"m loving it.  I've been primarily an analog guy  until now, because I despise bad user-interfaces.  IMO, the UI in the Helix universe is second-to-none.  I'm shocked by how well thought out the system is.  I am having 1 issue that I haven't figured out.

I want to control my Gibson Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro (EDP) through Midi using the HX Effects.  I have it all attached and was able to go into the Command Center and assign a footswitch to send the correct CC command to the device, so I know it is working. 

Is it possible to have a preset where all 6 footswitches *ONLY* send CC notes and another preset where I have HX Effects turned on.  For example, I would like to get a delay and reverb going, switch presets, control my EDP and record a loop with the delay and reverb, and switch back to the previous preset and turn on/off the effects?  

3 hours ago, Boyter said:

Is it possible to have a preset where all 6 footswitches *ONLY* send CC notes and another preset where I have HX Effects turned on.  For example, I would like to get a delay and reverb going, switch presets, control my EDP and record a loop with the delay and reverb, and switch back to the previous preset and turn on/off the effects?  

Sure. It’s very simple to do that. You don’t have to have any blocks in a preset. Go to a blank preset, open the Command Center, and assign the MIDI commands you want to each footswitch.

5 hours ago, phil_m said:

Sure. It’s very simple to do that. You don’t have to have any blocks in a preset. Go to a blank preset, open the Command Center, and assign the MIDI commands you want to each footswitch.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the feedback.  That didn't seem to work, as when I changed presets to my "Midi Preset", all the effects in my "Effect Preset" turned off.  Let me describe a little more what I want to do:

• Go to a preset and turn on some effects, like delay and reverb.
  • Go to another preset/screen where all 6 buttons send CC to my looper.
  • Loop the delayed and reverb tone while running the looper through the 6 footswitches on the HX Effects.  
  • Go back to first preset and continue playing. 

I found a suitable workaround using the Instant values in Snapshots.  The Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro (EDP) has its own 7 button footswitch.  The behavior of those buttons can be modified by the EDPs front-panel and saved as a preset on the device.  The presets can be switched via midi.  So, I have setup the instant midi command to call a preset for each of my Snapshots.  

• 3 years later...