Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[HELP] Variax 700 old/factory firmware versions

I don't know what possessed me to update my Variax 700, but all the acoustic and 12-string sounds are now broken and distorted beyond repair. I tried to find the old version of the firmware, but it's nowhere to be found. Why is this the case?! I mean, it's not like they take thousands of gigabytes of memory (more like few hundred kilobytes really).

I would appreciate your help--both from Line6 and from other users. Could you please let me know where can I find the factory version (and other versions) of Variax 700 guitar firmware, or if someone has not updated their guitar, can you please upload the file somewhere?

I would really appreciate it. Please help, I have to record and now my guitar is broken!

Regards

It's not clear if you are speaking about the 700 electric or acoustic..

In regard to the 700 electric (the one I own) there are 2 available firmwares: 3.05 released in 2005, and 3.10 released in 2006.

(For the record, I have the last one 3.10 installed in my 700 and it works perfectly, so maybe your first attempt to update your 700 didn't go well, and a 2nd try could be worth the effort)

For some unknown reasons you can see both of them listed in the selection menu of the download page only if you select the windows xp OS. That's the trick.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Hi man, and thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was talking about the Variax 700 electric, but somehow missed to mention it explicitly. The old/original firmware version was 1.31, the new ones are the ones you mentioned: 3.05 and 3.10 which both have the identical problem.

The thing is that the update process itself went well—on a MacOS through Pod HD. It was a 'success' as a process, but definitely not as a result.

Just for notice, I am using a significantly-dropped tuning from A: a e a d e a. But it was the same tuning before the update as well, and there was no muffling or distortion whatsoever. Now all 12-string patches are broken, regardless if I choose one from the factory ones or make one myself from scratch. I think the chime sounds are also broken a bit.

Can anyone help with the original firmware version please?! I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hey psarkissian,

I already did that 2 times. I first went to 3.10, then to 3.05, and then back to 3.10. It was a success every time, but the sound is broken nonetheless unfortunately. Any other ideas? I cannot see anything that would solve the problem except finding the original/old firmware, or tuning up the strings for 2-3 steps (which is a non-option).

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure you're not getting confused with the POD firmwares?
I have used the 700 for years and I have a habit of saving the most important files in case I need them, including the various firmware versions of the devices I use, and I have never seen a version 1.31 for the Variax, while I know that it exists for the POD.

As suggested by psarkissian maybe you should check with the workbench if all the settings are as they were in the past (before the reset) because maybe that's the real reason of your problem.

For example, it could be that in the past through the workbench you had decreased the amount of (default) detuning between the pairs of strings in the 12-string models to obtain a less emphasized and more natural effect, but with the reset that customization was lost. (Before resetting it is always good to save the presets so that they can be reloaded quickly later).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips