Jump to content

Can't launch HX Edit 2.92 in Windows 10


HeathDaddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

 

Just updated to 2.92.  HX Edit isn't launching in Windows 10.

 

Checked to ensure it wasn't blocked. 

Checked all permissions.

Click, spinning circle for a half second and then disappears.

Start task manager and see that nothing is started.  

Complete uninstall/reinstall, nothing.  

Uninstalled, reinstalled 2.90 and it starts immediately.  Try to "upgrade" and still won't start.

Tried a fresh install, still won't start.

 

Checked "eventvwr" and got this error message about HX Edit:

 

image.thumb.png.c758a8c225f8d6ab5ddb4d62a3ea2571.png

 

Any ideas?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi.

 

No solution here yet, but just thought I'd let you know I'm dealing with  the same problem and also on a surface pro (4), windows 10 latest update build 2004 (same error was happening on the previous build - 1908 i think).

 

I've tried all sorts of admin rights, compatability settings etc, but nothing yet. worked previously and like you 2.90 did/does work. The updater does work so I managed to update my HX stomps firmware, but can't use HX Edit now.

 

Any other surface pro users out there having a problem with this?

 

D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, HeathDaddy said:

Hey all,

 

Just updated to 2.92.  HX Edit isn't launching in Windows 10.

 

Checked to ensure it wasn't blocked. 

Checked all permissions.

Click, spinning circle for a half second and then disappears.

Start task manager and see that nothing is started.  

Complete uninstall/reinstall, nothing.  

Uninstalled, reinstalled 2.90 and it starts immediately.  Try to "upgrade" and still won't start.

Tried a fresh install, still won't start.

 

Checked "eventvwr" and got this error message about HX Edit:

 

image.thumb.png.c758a8c225f8d6ab5ddb4d62a3ea2571.png

 

Any ideas?

 

 

 

 

 

What firmware version are you on?

 

Might be unrelated but worth looking at the topic below if you haven't already and in particular Camelot_One's fix if it applies to you.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, make sure you right click on HX Edit and select 'Run as Administrator' to see if that fixes it.  If not you may have some inconsistencies in you underlying files so there is a process you can go through to fix that which is outlined in the following video.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similar issue with 2.92 after doing the Win 10 2004 update. I had no issues on another PC that wasn't updated. I tried running as admin, uninstalling and reinstalling 2.92. No dice. I didn't try the scannow thing, though.

 

So I uninstalled and installed 2.90. That works. I'd prefer to not be "out of sync" with my LT, but it seems to be working fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm a new customer. I have exactly the same issue. HX Edit 2.92 refuses to start. I tried it on two different PCs. On a third one it worked, but that's not my PC.  

 

I've read about re-ordering the disks in your system might help, but, how crazy is this?!? Come on...

I created a support ticket. 

 

I can still return the device, but that would feel like giving up.

 

Let's hope...

ehkl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, ehkl said:

Hello,

I'm a new customer. I have exactly the same issue. HX Edit 2.92 refuses to start. I tried it on two different PCs. On a third one it worked, but that's not my PC.  

 

I've read about re-ordering the disks in your system might help, but, how crazy is this?!? Come on...

I created a support ticket. 

 

Let's hope...

ehkl

 

The 'Disk 0' issue is real, and Frank Ritchotte of Line 6 personally checked & confirmed to me on the TGP forums that their software engineers are aware and it'll be fixed in the next release. For now, even though it may be annoying, fixing the disk numbering in your system is likely to be your only fix until 3.0 comes out. If there's no Disk 0 present, then it won't launch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

 

The 'Disk 0' issue is real, and Frank Ritchotte of Line 6 personally checked & confirmed to me on the TGP forums that their software engineers are aware and it'll be fixed in the next release. For now, even though it may be annoying, fixing the disk numbering in your system is likely to be your only fix until 3.0 comes out. If there's no Disk 0 present, then it won't launch.

Thanks for the info qwerty42, much appreciated.  Do you mean that the C: drive has to be Drive 0 for this to work?  Or whatever drive you install the software to has to be Drive 0?  I have a laptop that I can get the software working on and its Drive 0 is the C: drive.  My workstation that I cannot get the software to run on has Drive 0 as my D: drive.

 

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time to share the info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, qwerty42 said:

 

The 'Disk 0' issue is real, and Frank Ritchotte of Line 6 personally checked & confirmed to me on the TGP forums that their software engineers are aware and it'll be fixed in the next release. For now, even though it may be annoying, fixing the disk numbering in your system is likely to be your only fix until 3.0 comes out. If there's no Disk 0 present, then it won't launch.

 

11 minutes ago, VanguardSAK said:

Thanks for the info qwerty42, much appreciated.  Do you mean that the C: drive has to be Drive 0 for this to work?  Or whatever drive you install the software to has to be Drive 0?  I have a laptop that I can get the software working on and its Drive 0 is the C: drive.  My workstation that I cannot get the software to run on has Drive 0 as my D: drive.

 

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time to share the info. 

 

Wanted to repost this link I posted above as it will actually walk you step by step through how to resolve this issue if it is a "disk 0" problem. Actually a fairly painless way to resolve this. Of course there are other reasons it may not be working but this one is easy to check for. Here are the relevant parts of the fix provided by Camelot_One's excellent troubleshooting.

 

"And this is really easy to check: open a command prompt as Administrator and type the following commands:
DiskPart

List Disk

You should get a list of the drives in your system. Look on the left for the Disk number and make sure the list starts at Disk 0. It doesn't have to be the drive your OS is on, it just needs to show up as Disk 0 and show a status of Online. When my Storage Spaces drives are detected first, my drive numbers start at 1 or above, Drive 0 isn't listed at all, and HX Edit/Native won't work. I am able to consistently reproduce both the problem and the fix by shifting the bios drive detection order. I think what is happening is that the software does some sort of quick hardware detection at startup, and gets hung up if Disk 0 isn't online. (The emulated Storage Space drive will show up as a separate, higher Disk number) I suspect the same problem might occur when the first disk is part of a RAID.

So if DiskPart doesn't show a Disk 0 with a status of Online,  go into the bios and try to re-order your drives. On my ASRock Z390, I was able to do this by just disabling both SATA controllers, restarting, then turning them back on. That shifted the NVME drives to the front of the line, with the SATA storage spaces drives at the end. (Note: this is the drive detection order, NOT the boot order) You could also try changing the physical port your drives are connected to. Or if all of your drives are part of a storage space or RAID, you could try adding another drive to the mix."

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the expanded information.  It is a bummer because my workstation where the software doesn't run does have a Drive 0 that shows "Online" in diskpart.  The instructions you reposted from Camelot_One state "It doesn't have to be the drive your OS is on, it just needs to show up as Disk 0 and show a status of Online".  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for me at least, my Disk 0 is my D: drive, so not my OS drive, and it is online, but HX Edit won't run for me.  Hopefully they will figure out the issue for those of us that aren't in the Drive 0 fix camp... 

 

If it isn't too much trouble, I may try to map my C: (OS) drive to Drive 0 and see if it helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, VanguardSAK said:

Do you mean that the C: drive has to be Drive 0 for this to work?  Or whatever drive you install the software to has to be Drive 0?  I have a laptop that I can get the software working on and its Drive 0 is the C: drive.  My workstation that I cannot get the software to run on has Drive 0 as my D: drive.

Hi, I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to this specific question, unfortunately. Some have reported that simply having a Disk 0 which shows up as 'online' in the disk listing is enough, without it being the drive that the OS is installed on. I haven't actually had this problem on my own systems, so I can only speak via the information that others have provided.

If the disk 0 fix doesn't work, near the end of the thread that @HonestOpinion linked, there's a different fix someone posted which might help: https://line6.com/support/topic/49342-hx-edit-281-and-helix-native-starting-with-with-a-blank-screen-and-crash/?do=findComment&comment=331452

Edit: quick question -- it is HX Edit you're having issues with, right? Not Helix Native? If it's the trial of Helix Native and that won't start, I've seen that issue too and that's one I can help with. It's a different fix.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, VanguardSAK said:

Thanks for the expanded information.  It is a bummer because my workstation where the software doesn't run does have a Drive 0 that shows "Online" in diskpart.  The instructions you reposted from Camelot_One state "It doesn't have to be the drive your OS is on, it just needs to show up as Disk 0 and show a status of Online".  Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for me at least, my Disk 0 is my D: drive, so not my OS drive, and it is online, but HX Edit won't run for me.  Hopefully they will figure out the issue for those of us that aren't in the Drive 0 fix camp... 

 

If it isn't too much trouble, I may try to map my C: (OS) drive to Drive 0 and see if it helps.

 

Good luck with this and good on ya for running the test. At least you have eliminated one possible cause which is what troubleshooting is all about.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, HeathDaddy said:

Hey all,

 

Just updated to 2.92.  HX Edit isn't launching in Windows 10.

 

Checked to ensure it wasn't blocked. 

Checked all permissions.

Click, spinning circle for a half second and then disappears.

Start task manager and see that nothing is started.  

Complete uninstall/reinstall, nothing.  

Uninstalled, reinstalled 2.90 and it starts immediately.  Try to "upgrade" and still won't start.

Tried a fresh install, still won't start.

 

Checked "eventvwr" and got this error message about HX Edit:

 

image.thumb.png.c758a8c225f8d6ab5ddb4d62a3ea2571.png

 

Any ideas?

 

 

 

Btw, here is a page on how to fix the exception code you were getting in the Windows log excerpt you posted.

 

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-error-code-0xc0000005-in-windows/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

If the disk 0 fix doesn't work, near the end of the thread that @HonestOpinion linked, there's a different fix someone posted which might help: https://line6.com/support/topic/49342-hx-edit-281-and-helix-native-starting-with-with-a-blank-screen-and-crash/?do=findComment&comment=331452

 

I confirmed, that I have my system disk at index 0. Furthermore my "repository" is "consistent" as well.

That is far too strange for me. I am a professional software developer and I have never experienced any software that has dependencies on the order of the disks in your system.

Having too many dependencies leads to fragility. By the way, any non-admin user out there, who got the desktop shortcut created for HX Edit? No? Me not either...

 

I will return the HX Stomp and wait for an update of HX Edit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi @HeathDaddy and others on this thread...

 

TLDR: possible solution: take out any SD card you might have in the Surface Pro's built-in reader.

 

I've had exactly the same problem as you, same fault offset in the event log and been trying to fix. I am also on a surface pro that has worked with HX Edit fine until this upgrade

I was talking to support at Line6 who asked me to check the Disk 0 thing that has been mentioned in this thread. I had already checked that and hx edit was correctly on disk 0, but I went ahead and checked it anyway. 

 

On mine there was a second disk listed which is because I use a micro SD card in the Surface Pros built-in memory card reader. I decided to pop that out to make sure that i only had a single disk 0 and then HX Edit magically opened up! popped the card back in and HX Edit crashed on start up again before any dialog appeared.

 

I've also noted that if I take the same SD card and add it to the system through a USB card reader (on the same drive letter) it lists exactly the same in the system and in disk partition utilities but HX edit opens just fine, so there's something specific about the way that Microsoft mount the inbuilt card reader that is mucking HX edits start up code (in my case)

 

There's obviously something wrong with they way they go through the disks at start-up, maybe they were trying to fix disk 0 and they've caused something else? I don't know, but at least I can open it again! I've written back to line 6 to tell them that the SD card reader was causing it to crash and to reiterate that this was working fine before the upgrade (even with an SD card in), but hopefully any SP users out there struggling can get on with editing their presets now!

 

 

 

Dave

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, iamdavehart said:

Hi @HeathDaddy and others on this thread...

 

TLDR: possible solution: take out any SD card you might have in the Surface Pro's built-in reader.

 

I've had exactly the same problem as you, same fault offset in the event log and been trying to fix. I am also on a surface pro that has worked with HX Edit fine until this upgrade

I was talking to support at Line6 who asked me to check the Disk 0 thing that has been mentioned in this thread. I had already checked that and hx edit was correctly on disk 0, but I went ahead and checked it anyway. 

 

On mine there was a second disk listed which is because I use a micro SD card in the Surface Pros built-in memory card reader. I decided to pop that out to make sure that i only had a single disk 0 and then HX Edit magically opened up! popped the card back in and HX Edit crashed on start up again before any dialog appeared.

 

I've also noted that if I take the same SD card and add it to the system through a USB card reader (on the same drive letter) it lists exactly the same in the system and in disk partition utilities but HX edit opens just fine, so there's something specific about the way that Microsoft mount the inbuilt card reader that is mucking HX edits start up code (in my case)

 

There's obviously something wrong with they way they go through the disks at start-up, maybe they were trying to fix disk 0 and they've caused something else? I don't know, but at least I can open it again! I've written back to line 6 to tell them that the SD card reader was causing it to crash and to reiterate that this was working fine before the upgrade (even with an SD card in), but hopefully any SP users out there struggling can get on with editing their presets now!

 

 

 

Dave

 

 

 

 

Nice job of troubleshooting! Thanks for following up with L6. Hopefully they will sort out these conflicts in the next firmware revision.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dave Hart,

Jeeeesus christ man - the MicroSD card was it!! I'm running an HP Spectre x360 laptop, didn't have the Drive 0 problem or any other mentioned here or anywhere, just bought Native and couldn't load it - would crash Ableton and Reaper wouldn't recognize - and through the troubleshooting process I realized I couldn't open HX Edit anymore either.... removed the damn SD card, everything worked. MAN!! So much uninstalling, reinstalling, time wasted. Thank you! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me none of these "workarounds" helped. I tried several older versions of HX Edit. I installed 2.70 and it started! Then I tried 2.71 and it does NOT start! I switched between 2.70 and 2.71 several times and so I am sure, that there was something introduced with 2.71 that prevents HX Edit to start on my PC(s)!

 

I set up a Windows machine for Line 6 support and gave them access to that machine. So they can see the issue with their own eyes.

 

I also installed similar tool from Digitech and Fractal Audio. All of them start.

 

By the way, Pod Go Edit also does not start. I did not try Helix Native.

 

So let's cross fingers that my efforts help to bring some insights into this issue...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Wow - that was scary. Exactly the same failure to start HX Edit, tried re-installing, then tried internet search and found this page....

 

Got as far as the first mention of disk 0 and realised I had the microSD card from my Zoom H1 in the card slot. Took it out and the software started immediately.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good grief there are some whiny people in this world. It'll get fixed. This wasn't 'software design,' obviously it's an unintentional bug, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's the consequence of some outside package they use in the build of their code, which caused it without their awareness. If people like @sebastopolcp like Fractal so much more, then maybe do us a favor and stay with them. And if you think Fractal doesn't have bugs, well, the FM3 would sure like to have a word with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, iamdavehart said:

Hi @HeathDaddy and others on this thread...

 

TLDR: possible solution: take out any SD card you might have in the Surface Pro's built-in reader.

 

I've had exactly the same problem as you, same fault offset in the event log and been trying to fix. I am also on a surface pro that has worked with HX Edit fine until this upgrade

I was talking to support at Line6 who asked me to check the Disk 0 thing that has been mentioned in this thread. I had already checked that and hx edit was correctly on disk 0, but I went ahead and checked it anyway. 

 

On mine there was a second disk listed which is because I use a micro SD card in the Surface Pros built-in memory card reader. I decided to pop that out to make sure that i only had a single disk 0 and then HX Edit magically opened up! popped the card back in and HX Edit crashed on start up again before any dialog appeared.

 

I've also noted that if I take the same SD card and add it to the system through a USB card reader (on the same drive letter) it lists exactly the same in the system and in disk partition utilities but HX edit opens just fine, so there's something specific about the way that Microsoft mount the inbuilt card reader that is mucking HX edits start up code (in my case)

 

There's obviously something wrong with they way they go through the disks at start-up, maybe they were trying to fix disk 0 and they've caused something else? I don't know, but at least I can open it again! I've written back to line 6 to tell them that the SD card reader was causing it to crash and to reiterate that this was working fine before the upgrade (even with an SD card in), but hopefully any SP users out there struggling can get on with editing their presets now!

 

 

 

Dave

 

 

 



Hi guys, first post here, just want to let you know that I had the same issue and after removing my camera SD, Helix Edit worked immediatly.
Thanks for the help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just updating here to confirm that this is still a problem in HX Edit 3.0 (for me at least), so if you're trying to get that Command Center into your HX Stomp and 2 extra slots to play with remember to take your SD Cards out people! 

 

(my HX stomp updated just fine though!)

 

Dave

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, iamdavehart said:

Hi @HeathDaddy and others on this thread...

 

TLDR: possible solution: take out any SD card you might have in the Surface Pro's built-in reader.

 

Hi, thanks, that was the reason in my case either.

Just removing sd card made the hx edit work - pc is Dell xps 9365

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, my first post here.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH

Just came across the same problem.

SD-Card removing fixed my launching problem with 3.0 HX Edit.

So, 

.

..

...

PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS

 

HX Effects is such a wonderful thing,

best wishes,

Thorsten

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

I think, there is too many "thank you" in this thread. This is an annoying bug for some and for me it's even a blocker. Removing the SD card is not a fix, it's just a workaround!

 

This is what I have done so far:

- I created a support ticket in July (and returned the HX Stomp)

- I tried every version of HX Edit and reported them that the bug was introduced in HX Edit 2.71. HX Edit 2.70 starts fine!

- I prepared a screen capture (unlisted on youtube) that shows the bug

- I setup a machine(!) and provided them access to it to see it with their own eyes

- I sometimes asked for updates on this issue

- I waited months for 3.0, hoping that it has a fix.

 

That was quite some effort for me, but I got no (proper) reply or any reaction.

 

I am usually very patient and in no way known as a "rant guy". But sorry, that is really too much (or too less?)

 

I'll go with a competitor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Is this issue still being investigated?

I've tried all the suggested solutions but with zero results.

Issue: Unable to start the most recent version of HX edit.

There are 2 different Windows 10 computers in my Home environment and both have the same issue (right after starting, HX Edit crashes)

Running: Windows 10 Pro version 1909

List of things I tried:

-Run Installation as a Administrator
-There's no SD card or SD card reader connected to the Pc
-Boot drive is Drive 0

-Uninstalled all Line6 / Helix related software, rebooted and installed the latest HX edit + drivers again.

-Uninstalled all Helix + related software , cleaned any left-over folders on the hard drive, rebooted and installed HX edit + drivers again.

 

I'm open to hearing any other possible suggestions.

Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

i dont know if this might help anyone but...
I followed all above lines, then desperation led me to win10 control panel and then in Bluetooth and other devices.

I removed all old stuff i had and then HX edit started.
I had connected once my tv to the pc, an xbox and a USB storage device. 
Hope this can help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So I have been having this issue for quite some time now, read through all the over complicated computer expert recommendations until I saw this simple rec....   solution: take out any SD card you might have in the Surface Pro's built-in reader.    My best guess is if you have any PC with a touch screen, the SD card is the problem.  I can't believe how many full uninstalls and crap I tried on my HP ENVY20 touch screen until I pulled out the SD card and eureka!  My Power cab edit worked fine, my Variax apps worked fine as well as the updater app, but never HX edit....  On my non-touch screen PC same Windows10 operating system, HX edit and everything else worked fine.  KISS  (Keep it simple stupid)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU!

After fighting with Helix Native for about 5 hours your solution helped me figure it out! In my case it wasn't and SD card in a reader, but rather the reader itfself being visible to the system as an empty drive. I only had to remove it - and voila, Native and Edit are working!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(Google translate)
I specified using Hx Edit in a virtual machine (VMware Player). I can't start after updating from 2.70 to 3.0.

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro
Guest OS: Windows 10 Pro

By the way, when I tried it with Hyper-V, the same result was obtained.

Is there anyone with the same symptoms?

Thanks
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, oktronic said:

Hi, is there any timeline on when this will be fixed? I can't launch hxedit or hx native with an sd card and I need the sd card for samples on it, so removing it isn't really an option. 

 
I believe you can re-insert the card after HX Edit loads as a workaround, if that helps.

 

No one here is going to be able tell when or if it’s something that will be fixed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...