Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick Q Concerning Guitar In-Z & Input Sources

Topaz

Apologies. Haven't been to the forum in a long time and haven't used my HD500X in quite a while and having to slog thru those dense guides......

Firstly, in short. Recently come to understand the importance of using a DI box/buffer between guitar and ones audio interface. Plan on getting the new IK multimedia Z-Tone thing.... however....  I was wondering if plugging my guitar into the HD, trying the various impedance settings and outputting to my interface, might that accomplish something similar. Don't want to use any of the amp models, cabs or anything... just the straight thru put guitar signal. So my question is,  does whatever impedance choices I make also affect the thru signal?

Second. I remember setting the input sources to get optimum sound was (and probably still is)  a real big bone of contention as the default didn't sound as good. Being too brittle/ harsh/noisy or something as I recall. What would be optimum?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Topaz said:

does whatever impedance choices I make also affect the thru signal?

yes, absolutely if you connect to the Guitar Input, not if you connect to AUX or MIC..

so.. no need to buy the Z-Tone thing

24 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Being too brittle/ harsh/noisy or something as I recall. What would be optimum?

It depends, everyone has their preferences.. you should decide with your ears..

Just for the record, most guitar amps have 1 megaohm impedance so if you are going to use amp models plugins this value is probably the most appropriate to get the most faithful or intended responses.

Moreover the most transparent dry bypass signal is achieved by using 1 mehaohm or more impedance value.

All the other impedance values lower than 1 megaohm make the signal progressively darker and weaker, which could be a way to cut some harshness.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Great,  thanks for the info fellas! Just what I'm looking for.

Topic of choice of software modeler came up on some other forum. Expressed my displeasure at the sound so I barely use the two I have. (GR & Amplitube). Have successive versions for a dogs age on my system(s) but hated using them. Always sounding brittle and harsh... especially the modeled pedals. Some folks advised me about DI boxes, the Z-Tone as well as to try using a buffered pedal in front of my interface. Plugged in one of my Boss pedals the other day and the difference was very noticeable but still sounded bad to me.

Right after I posted this thread though, out of curiosity, I tried hooking up 2 boss pedals together.... not turned on, just being powered. And I'll be darned if there wasn't a big improvement. I don't know why.... a boosting or lowering impedance I guess... but for the first time I actually was liking what I was hearing. Even pedals sounded much better. Played around for a couple hours rather than the usual giving up after 5 minutes, heh.

I'll try the HD tomorrow and see