Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High Gain Amps

Wondo100

So, still relatively new to Helix. I got a great Plexi sound based on a Custom Tone download with some Greenbacks IRS and some Vintage 30 IRS from Celestion. What I am noticing is there is a lot of line noise in this patch. I know that High Gain amps have higher line noise, but this is a lot. Even more than my actual H&K Grandmeister on a high gain sound. I have all new cables. Not sure if this is normal and if so, where is a good place to put noise gate in the signal path for Helix without squashing tone?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Wondo100 said:

So, still relatively new to Helix. I got a great Plexi sound based on a Custom Tone download with some Greenbacks IRS and some Vintage 30 IRS from Celestion. What I am noticing is there is a lot of line noise in this patch. I know that High Gain amps have higher line noise, but this is a lot. Even more than my actual H&K Grandmeister on a high gain sound. I have all new cables. Not sure if this is normal and if so, where is a good place to put noise gate in the signal path for Helix without squashing tone?

Thanks.

If the preset was made for a humbucker, and you're playing with single coils, that'll happen.

Best place to start with a Noise Gate is the Input Block.

For specific questions about custom presets, it's a lot easier to help you if you attach the preset.

It's also good, in addition to the kind of guitar you're playing, to know what you're playing it through - FRFR, Studio Monitors, amp FX return into 412, computer speakers.....