Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clapton Bluesbreaker Tone

randrewrussell

HI Guys

I am trying to learn about Clapton's famous Bluesbreaker Album tone.

I am aware that he used a 1960? Les Paul and that he played through a dimed custom

built JTM-45. (I think)  Does anyone hear know if a patch for such tone has been 

created?  Thank you.

RAR

I think the only thing custom about the JTM45 was that he wanted something he could throw in the trunk of his car so Jim Marshall made him a 2x12 model. 

For that tone I would just dial up a JTM45 on the Helix, get the gain level right and dial in a usable tone.  It's not possible to give exact settings, as it will be different for every guitar.

IMO.... there is more magic in how EC used his guitar than the amp. During that era he stayed on the bridge pickup a lot, but rolled back the tone a fair bit... by half or even more. That changes the peak resonance of the pickup which cannot be simulated by amp - the tone needs to start at the guitar. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, soundog said:

It mentions rolling back the tone controls on his Les Paul, as @codamedia suggests. Makes me want to experiment a little more (though I play a Strat).

It applies to single coil pickups as well.

The peak resonance of a pickup makes a big difference to the tone and reaction from an amp. This is why an old school "fuzz" is debated so much... when first in line & engaged the impedance completely changes the peak resonance of the pickups on the guitar. 

The tone control does something very similar. You can dial in some really magical sweet spots with a little experimenting. 

• Upvote 1

Gentlemen

Thanks for the helpful posts.  I checked out that article and it was great but then oddly enough he didn't really get close to the sound at all.

There is YT post where the amp tech mods a modern Marshall Bluesbreaker and he gets pretty close. 

RAR

Those tones are not hiding in modded gear.... if you are discounting the "guitar tone" mentioned just because that guy doesn't "nail" the tone (I haven't seen/heard that article by the way) then you are discounting the most important part of the puzzle of getting Clapton's tone. 

Send me a link to one song you are wanting the tone for.... I will try to help you out. 

(with all the variations and remixes out there I will only work from the LINK you send me)

It would also help if I knew what kind of guitar you were planning to use, which helix product you own, and how you plan to monitor it? 

30 minutes ago, randrewrussell said:

No please don't misunderstand he modded a modern PTP BB back to 60's specs and KT66 tubes and he got pretty close.

Fair enough.... without a link to the video I would have never known that is what you meant by modded :)