Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 150 And Fbv Express Mkii

herkness

Just picked up the 150 on Friday, and am trying to decide if it will meet my needs. In general, it sounds like a great idea, but may not be ready for prime time yet. Hopefully the limitation of a single preset bank on board can be updated through a future firmware update, to make it more gig-friendly. A couple of questions for you guys who may have more hands-on experience with it than I...

1) When I plug in a FPV Express MKII, I hear a low hum. Has anyone else noticed this?

2) With the app docked, only the volume on the pedal works. To be able to select presets, you must undock the app. Is this correct?

On #1, yes, I have the same issue. Unplugging the FBV completely removes the hum. On #2, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "undock the app". However, I have the same issue. I've noticed that if you change a preset/patch and save it, the ABCD buttons on the FBV quit working.

• Upvote 1

Wanted to look a little further into the hum issue, to see if I wanted to keep this amp. Went to the local GC to do some comparison testing with my MKII, the store's MKII, Shortboard, 150 and 75.  

In summary, there appears to be a design issue with the Express/150 combination that shows itself as a light hum when the pedal is connected.  It is not present with the Shortboard/150, nor is it present on the 75 with either pedalboard.

In general, the 150 sounded great, but I just get the feeling that it's not ready for primetime yet.  Returned it yesterday and picked up a Fender Mustang III.  After having the Spider III and the Amplifi, the Fender is a breath of fresh air.  For the price point, it seems a much more serious piece of gear.  And they have an actual manual! ;-)

It seems that way ... not quite ready for prime time, but hey, like SNL it's great in its own way.  It's fun for early adopters willing to accept some early kinks or those expecting more of a Bluetooth Boombox with benefits.  That said, the launch seems to have enough gaps to frustrate those hoping for something more polished and gig-proof.

Glad you found the right gear in the Mustang III.  I've been very happy with my Fender products (circa early and mid 90s). 

I'll likely keep the 75 as a way to contribute to the tone community.  If the experiment fails and that Line 6 drops support, so be it.    If it succeeds, hopefully, those tones can be migrated to an Amplifi HD (or whatever marketing decides to call it... hopefully, something more searchable).

Wanted to look a little further into the hum issue, to see if I wanted to keep this amp. Went to the local GC to do some comparison testing with my MKII, the store's MKII, Shortboard, 150 and 75.  

In summary, there appears to be a design issue with the Express/150 combination that shows itself as a light hum when the pedal is connected.  It is not present with the Shortboard/150, nor is it present on the 75 with either pedalboard.

Do you think this is consistent across the board?  That there is a hum present when using the express with the 150?  I was considering purchasing one to use with my 150, but if there is a hum…then it's a no go.  I would go for the Shortboard, but, as I understand it, the Shortboard can't turn the individual effects on/off, correct?  So, I really can't justify the Shortboard.  

Would a future update allow for the Shortboard to turn the effects on/off?  Is that even possible?

There is something going on between the FBV jack and midi. I sure would like to know what it is and if we can make an adapter to use a midi board with the Amplifi.

I didn;t have the hum with a 150 and Express, don't have access to a shortboard.

• 2 weeks later...

So someone here took their Express, used the stores, tried out and seemed to indicate the hum exists with the 150.

Someone else here replied that they don't have a hum with their Express used with the 150.

This seems inconclusive, which is it?   Is ths express to be avoided or is this a take your chances, you may have a hum or you may not situation?

I am interested in the Express for the wah.  Comments indicate made out of plastic or not built the greatest perhaps but I don't want a huge massive board on the floor, just enough to use the wah and switch between 4 presets upward/downward.

So is a flawed combination or not Express + 150?  Anybody call Line 6 Support about it and if so did they confirm this as a problem?

Not having even looked at this Express in the box does it come with the connection cable for the amp?

Picked up an Express MKii floor unit.  With the 150 there is a hum I would say no worse than a large tube head sitting there idling type hum.  Worked great for A,B,C,D presets and the tuner and as Volume Pedal.  Volume Pedal seems to be the default,  midi CC settings are right for Wah but can't seem to get it to become a Wah, even with a tone preset on via Ampliiy App that has a Wah turned on and Volume turned off and then that preset selected.   Wah can't be moved in position like others can in the app.  Does this App my tones preset have to be stored to the amp before the Wah will work?   What is the trick to get the Express to go into Wah mode with Wah LED on and all?

To solve hum via 75 is not a solution unless you like the smaller cab and smaller speaker.  Playing high gain enough the hum is not bad but not being able to seem to get Wah to work is a problem.  Any help on how to get Wah to work/get Express to act in Wah mode?   I might keep and not return the Express floor unit if if the wah would work...

Found this, why this info is so buried, I just do not get it, should be easist info to find! 

There is a switch under the front of the expression pedal.  I have pressed on it but I guess it requires massive downward pressure to activate.

Oh joy I can try out the wah now, which is why I wanted the Express in the first place.  The hum is no big deal, just like having a tube amp sitting there, I know it should not hum but its something I can accept if the wah works.

Just reporting that I decided to return the FBV Express MKii and ordered a shortboard instead.  It sounds like a ground loop hum to me but not knowing any techincal details I don't want to risk my 150.   I have found a few Spider amp posts that also talk about hum as soon as the Express is plugged in, but no resolution for them either.  Seems when the complainer doesn't respond in time they close the support case.  Since no one opened a case for the Express, me too in that... I will go the route of least resistance.  I don't like a big plus size floor board and preferred the Express size board, hopefully the shortboard in the flesh won't be all that big.  None in the stores, had to order it on line.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up an FBV Express MkII and plugged it into my Amplifi 150. I have the same problem with hum :-(. It is very annoying and I will have to return the FBV if the problem persists. Alternatively, return the 150 and get the Amplifi 75 in stead, since other users indicate that the FBV Express works without hum on the 75.

Still, Line6 should address this as soon as possible - In my opinion this is a serious  problem, because I can not use the 150 for gigging without the foot-controller.

Hello, all. We are sorry to see some of you run into this issue. This is an issue that we recently were made aware of on some early AMPLIFi 150 units, and we have implemented a solution for it. Our authorized service centers can perform the repair. Alternatively, Line 6 can perform the repair if an RMA is generated. As both scenarios offer the repair under our one-year warranty, please ensure you can furnish a copy of your proof of purchase, a requirement for warranty service. Please see our Service Page for repair process details.

Thanks for your patience and your patronage.

Dear Tony, thanks for answer. Is it generic error for a batch of the product? I mean is it possible to predict via serial number whether a particular device might have this issue before trying it with FBV?

I would open a support ticket and include your serial number in the information, or call Line 6 directly (see Contact Us below). It this issue is specific to certain serial numbers they will be able to tell you if yours is affected. Then you will know whether you need to bring it to a service center.

Line6Tony ~ Guitar Center gives me 30 days to swap out for dissatisfaction.  Rather than have my week-old Amplifi 150 repaired, I would just as well swap it out.  If you could provide the Serial Number break to know if they have another one "post fix", that would be much easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I just received express MKII and I can confirm that there is no any noise or humming (even with high gain patches). I bof ought mine in Turkey and probably it's not one of the units of earlier batches.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have the latest firmware for Amplifi and it still does not work with a brand new FBV Express pedal when the app is open. I can't seem to get a straight answer thru the Line 6 help tickets on whether the issue was/is/should have been addressed. Frustrating !  

• 11 months later...

I just bought a Amplifi 150 used.  It's really in perfect condition and works beautiful.  HOWEVER, I plugged in a FBV Express MK2 and I'm getting the hum you guys talk about here.  Is there a solution a user can do?  Warranty's not an option for me since I bought it 2nd hand I suppose, but this "is" a manufacturing issue as I understand it.  Any suggestions?