Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about Classic & Full Range

clfnole123

Excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of questions about FR vs Classic modes:

1) if you switch to Classic Mode (in the cabinet section if using the App) does that effectively negate whatever cabinet was chosen so you don’t need to worry about it or the mic position?

2) when trying to get close to an artists tone (this will likely be subjective I am guessing) but would FR be better for that or Classic (in your opinions)?

Thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, clfnole123 said:

Excuse my ignorance but I have a couple of questions about FR vs Classic modes:

1) if you switch to Classic Mode (in the cabinet section if using the App) does that effectively negate whatever cabinet was chosen so you don’t need to worry about it or the mic position?

2) when trying to get close to an artists tone (this will likely be subjective I am guessing) but would FR be better for that or Classic (in your opinions)?

Thanks in advance. 

Classic mode will turn off the cab and mic model. You will be playing through the amp model and using the physical cab. 

I like to think of FR vs Classic as Recorded tone vs Amp in the Room. In FR mode you have an amp model + cab model + mic model. Whenever you are listening to a record you are hearing the recorded tone of that amp, which means you're hearing the amp, microphone, and anything post that. In classic mode you are using the physical cab instead of a modeled cab, so there is no microphone model. This is closer to the sound of sitting in the room with your favorite amp, rather than hearing one played back on a record or mic'd up and played back through studio monitors.