Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Midi out and Expression out?

ChrisBurns2014

Hello! 

I've had my stomp for about 6 months and I am in LOVE! Right now, I use it for my modulations, delays, reverbs and amp/cab sim. But I really want to make It to where its the only thing I take to gigs. I don't play the same set everywhere I go, so snapshots are out of the question. 

My main question it: Can I use the Expression out as footswitch 4/5 (which I already do), and use the midi out with a midi controller to back up and down through my presets?

If I can do this, then I am 100% all set! 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

10 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You certainly can do that.

You can send a specific Program Change# (000-127), and if you're in Scroll Mode you can use CC#49/50 to emulate FS1/FS2, but there's no specific MIDI commands for Preset Previous/Next. So, you'd need to first send CC#71 with a Value of 1 to switch to Scroll Mode, then send CC#49 Value 127 (FS1 - Previous) or CC#71 Value 127 (FS2 - Next).

I just tried sending 071 followed by 049 and 071 followed by 050 using a single pedal press. It didn't work. Either Stomp can only process one CC# at a time or there's a timing issue - a beat required between messages (my FCB1010 can't do that).

Using two discrete pedal presses it works fine.

13 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

You can send a specific Program Change# (000-127), and if you're in Scroll Mode you can use CC#49/50 to emulate FS1/FS2, but there's no specific MIDI commands for Preset Previous/Next. So, you'd need to first send CC#71 with a Value of 1 to switch to Scroll Mode, then send CC#49 Value 127 (FS1 - Previous) or CC#71 Value 127 (FS2 - Next).

Most MIDI controllers have something akin to scroll mode that allows to scroll through successive MIDI PCs.

I guess I took the post less literally, too. It just sounded like he was asking if he could use a MIDI controller at the same time he was using the EXP/FS jack.

23 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Most MIDI controllers have something akin to scroll mode that allows to scroll through successive MIDI PCs.

IME, that's a function of the device being controlled, not the controller. A MIDI Controller just sends a MIDI Message - PC/CC/NOTE/SYSEX. The device being controlled either has a fixed Previous Next function with a specific message value, or allows you to choose the message value to assign to that function.

I could be wrong - it happens! Definitely want to RTM before assuming that a controller can do that.......none of mine can.

12 hours ago, rd2rk said:

IME, that's a function of the device being controlled, not the controller. A MIDI Controller just sends a MIDI Message - PC/CC/NOTE/SYSEX. The device being controlled either has a fixed Previous Next function with a specific message value, or allows you to choose the message value to assign to that function.

I could be wrong - it happens! Definitely want to RTM before assuming that a controller can do that.......none of mine can.

The whole point of using an external controller, or at least to a large degree, is being able to quickly have the device being controlled go to whatever preset you want, with the possibility of coordinating that with other devices being controlled going to different presets at the same time. I’ve always thought having specific next and previous preset MIDI commands seemed a bit redundant (which is probably why most devices don’t have them).

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The whole point of using an external controller, or at least to a large degree, is being able to quickly have the device being controlled go to whatever preset you want, with the possibility of coordinating that with other devices being controlled going to different presets at the same time. I’ve always thought having specific next and previous preset MIDI commands seemed a bit redundant (which is probably why most devices don’t have them).

Exactly. Any MIDI controllable device with presets will go to whichever PC# you send it, and Controllers that can send multiple MIDI Messages on separate channels can control multiple MIDI devices. Scrolling (Preset Previous/Next) is not a part of the MIDI Spec (as I understand it), and is implemented in the device being controlled. Helix is the only MIDI controllable Multi FX that I've had, but VSTs such as Guitar Rig, Amplitube and TH3(U) all have Previous/Next functions. They're mainly useful for trying out the multitude of presets they come with. In the ten years that I've been providing users of the FCB1010/UNO with custom configuration (sysex) files, I've always provided a pair of buttons that do Previous/Next, but I've only ever encountered one person who actually ASKED for that.