Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If You Were Going To Use The Hd500x Effects Loop, What Pedals Would You Add?

boyce89976

There are a couple of reasons why you might want to do this... a better sounding pedal than the modeled one, or to maximize DSP.  So what would you add to the effects loop, or replace in HD500x, using outboard pedals?  

To start, I'm thinking maybe an outboard delay (Eventide or similar), or a better chorus pedal.  

I use The El Capistan delay pedal with the HD 500 but it is between the guitar and HD 500.

I like to have my hands on the delay's controls and none of the delay's in the HD 500 can touch it.

I use a TECH 21 British pedal in the effects loop because it has a better Marshall sound than the HD 500.

To be honest I don't really care much for any of the effects in the HD 500.

Maybe because I have a lot of really nice pedals and I'm just use to their sound.

I added a Mooer Hustle Drive. The modelled amplifiers react good with the volume pot from the guitar, but the modelled drive pedals don't. The Hustle Drive gives me that, with added gain and thickness. And it is so small that it fits in my POD case.

I've been thinking about putting a G System in the loop. Means I can double-up the DSP-heavy amps, like the Bogner, and still have so much delay and reverb it sounds like I'm playing 300 guitars in Durham Cathedral.

It's either that or sell the Pod and turn to the dark side.

I would try not pedals, but some effects I already have in the Auria app on my iPad: I have MicroWarmer, and from FabFilter Timeless 2, Saturn and Pro-Q. I don't know if it is possible to use Effects Loop for iPad, I have Sonic Port with audio in and out, must try it some day. I expect some latency, hate that, but its worth a try.

TheRealZap, on 10 Feb 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:snapback.png

I've added an M5 in the loop of my 500 midi connected... and it works flawlessly with NO configuration whatsoever... sure the m9 would be the same... all you have to do is change the pod to the tone you want and then change the M pedal to the preset you want...save the tone on the pod... next time you select the tone on the pod the M pedal will switch automatically.

we talked about this on another thread today and this is a great idea with the M5 and midi so it saves with the patch... brilliant...

I've used it in different ways.  Currently, I always keep an mxr 10 band on flat at all times (doesn't alter the tone)....and instead of adjusting POD patches on the fly for different rooms, where you need, less bottom, more bottom, more highs, less highs...like you would adjust on a regular amp for different rooms.....I use the MXR for it.  Leaving my presets in tact.  There's nothing worse than soundchecking for a gig....and the sound guy goes "Hey can you pull down the low end a little...or give me some highs"...and you gotta get on the ground and go through every patch you're using and adjust the eq.  HELL NO.  

I've also used the effects loop with a simple patch cable jumper between the fx send and return...no pedal...and strictly use the loop for solo boosts.  It's the best, cleanest way to boost for solos.  

I've noticed some pedals don't play well in the POD HD loop.  Some chorus's and analog delays...seem to darken things sometimes...or really alter the tone.  Some pedals play nice with it though.  

Another trick is...between the 1/4 out and your power amp's in or amp you're using....pedals can be places there....sort of a "line level" type of out.  I have a carbon copy delay placed between the 1/4 out and my matrix power amp...and it sounds and behaves exactly like an effects loop scenario.  

• Upvote 2

I've used it in different ways.  Currently, I always keep an mxr 10 band on flat at all times (doesn't alter the tone)....and instead of adjusting POD patches on the fly for different rooms, where you need, less bottom, more bottom, more highs, less highs...like you would adjust on a regular amp for different rooms.....I use the MXR for it.  Leaving my presets in tact.  There's nothing worse than soundchecking for a gig....and the sound guy goes "Hey can you pull down the low end a little...or give me some highs"...and you gotta get on the ground and go through every patch you're using and adjust the eq.  HELL NO.  

I've also used the effects loop with a simple patch cable jumper between the fx send and return...no pedal...and strictly use the loop for solo boosts.  It's the best, cleanest way to boost for solos.  

^ Genius!

• 2 years later...

Boss Super Octave OC-3.  I play solo most of the time and the OC-3 gives bass sounding notes on the low E A and D strings.  The pedal has a frequency range knob so the octave effect can greatly reduced on the higher strings.

Well... 

One of the reasons I bought the HD500 was so that I would not need to carry anything else. I mean, the dang thing has literally replaced everything that goes between my guitar and the sound guy. 

But, in the spirit of fantasy role playing... 

Because I no longer have a physical amp, I lost the ability to power my Talk Box. But, they have self powered units available, so, I would use one of those. 

And possibly a Wah pedal. It can sometimes be odd, after having used a wah for 30 years, to now use the expression pedal. While the functionalities are the same (up down up down), one of them moves 0.5 inches, and the other moves 3 inches. 

I put a Diamond Compressor, JHS Morning Glory, Bondi Effects SickAS, and Xotic EP Booster in front of the HD500X. That gives me more gain options. I put a Line 6 M13 in the Effects Loop, so I can offload DSP for different patches. I have the Effects Loop located after the Amps.

• 2 months later...