Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beginner Native Recording Question

bryaneaves

I’m new to recording and having a problem.  Just purchased Helix Native and Studio One Professional V5.  My favorite patch sounds awesome.  I connect to my computer and create two tracks to record the processed and DI.  I create a Stereo track via USB 1 for the processed and a Mono track via USB 5 for the DI.  My recording worked great.  On playback, the processed track sounds great just as it does directly from the Stomp.  I then add Hexlix Native to the mono DI track and pull up the exact same patch as the original and it sounds terrible.  I made sure all settings were identical.  The original wet track is a big stereo sound.  The DI with Native sounds like it’s in stereo but nothing like the original.  I’m wondering if I did something wrong with the track set-up.  Should my DI mono track be converted to some sort of stereo track?  I appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.  

9 hours ago, bryaneaves said:

I’m new to recording and having a problem.  Just purchased Helix Native and Studio One Professional V5.  My favorite patch sounds awesome.  I connect to my computer and create two tracks to record the processed and DI.  I create a Stereo track via USB 1 for the processed and a Mono track via USB 5 for the DI.  My recording worked great.  On playback, the processed track sounds great just as it does directly from the Stomp.  I then add Hexlix Native to the mono DI track and pull up the exact same patch as the original and it sounds terrible.  I made sure all settings were identical.  The original wet track is a big stereo sound.  The DI with Native sounds like it’s in stereo but nothing like the original.  I’m wondering if I did something wrong with the track set-up.  Should my DI mono track be converted to some sort of stereo track?  I appreciate any thoughts you guys may have.  

O.K. Helix Native should sound no different to the hardware versions of the HX range of produts.

First thing to do is check that your DI guitar track can be sent back out of Studio One to your HX Stomp through the exact same preset and can be recorded back into Studio One and sound identical to the original. See owners HX Stomp manual page 45 regarding DI Recording and Re-Amping (re-Amping Through HX Stomp section). If that works then I suspect that it maybe something to do with the routing inside Studio One. Also, as you say you can get the unprocessed signal in and out of HX Native, but it sounds "wrong", make sure the the input signal to Native is not too hot - aim for between -18 and -12db on both in and out. I just tested a round trip signal from Logic Pro X through my Helix floor and then the same dry signal into HX Native - the sound is identical, which is what makes me think that it is possibly something in Studio One that is not set correctly.

If I get chance I may download the Studio One free demo and check it out.

Hey Bryan - I used the latest version of Studio One 4 and Native on all my guitar and bass tracks, and even on other instruments, like keys.  I use a Helix Rack when I record to hear the sound I want while I play and I only record the DI in Studio One.

My Rack and Native have the same presets and when I add the preset to the recorded DI track, after adjusting the input in Native, they sound identical.  Always.

If you don't get this solved quickly, if you want to talk on the phone and figure this out, I'll try and help.  Just PM me.

Doug