Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT Amps vs. Power Cabs

sorcerer532

I've looked around, but I haven't seen any videos (or much of anything) where somebody directly compares a Helix w/ Powercab(s) against the HD series w/ DT Amps.

I have seen the Helix direct compared to mic'd amps, but I'm really curious to hear the two "Dream Rigs" battle it out.

Anybody else?

• 1 month later...

I have both a DT25 and PowerCab 112+.  Both work great with my HD500x and Helix.   I have to say that I use my PowerCab 112+ more than the DT25 now.  It's just easier to deal with.  Both sound fantastic.

For the HD500, if you want you can use the preamp with the DT25, and you specify the speaker emulation/mic, and the DT25 adjusts, and you have full control over the topology of the amp.  Some people use a full amp model because they like the sounds.  When you use it with the PowerCab, none of the amp controls work, and you mostly use the PC as a FRFR speaker, or you use the PC+ and an Impulse Response, or a "speaker emulation".  When you do that, you probably would want to use "none" for the speaker model in the HD500.

I was bummed that you can't use both DT25 and PC at the same time with the L6Link cable.

I won't be making video comparisons or anything beyond my description above.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My DT 25 was losing power as well until I changed out the tubes (3). Now proper power has been restored to both channels. I hadn't changed the tubes since I've had it. Big difference. They 'cook' over time since they bake upside down (the way they're mounted) and as heat rises, it cooks the tubes. Over time, heat does a number even on good tubes. Anyway, I got my tubes from TubeDepot for $34. I also substituted a ECC83 for the 12AX7, as they are the same tube. The ECC83 was $11 and the two EL84 were $10 each. Shipping #3. I ordered the tubes initially just to check if tubes were the problem, and they were. Simple substitution is quite often used in troubleshooting. I'm an electronics engineer. Wish I could get my hands on a DT 25 schematic. It almost makes me want to buy a Fender tube! There's just so MUCH digital in the D 25. The amp really doesn't have FX's like compression, phaser, chorus, etc. It just has the ability to turn off 2 of the screens in the tubes so that you get a triode out of a pentode tube (as an example). It does have voicing of course, but if you're not into British hard Rock and metal, the voices don't necessarily offer much. I would trade them in a heartbeat for simple compression and a nice phaser built-in.

Anyway, new tubes were a big help om power loss!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 4:02 PM, bobcoss said:

I have both a DT25 and PowerCab 112+.  Both work great with my HD500x and Helix.   I have to say that I use my PowerCab 112+ more than the DT25 now.  It's just easier to deal with.  Both sound fantastic.

For the HD500, if you want you can use the preamp with the DT25, and you specify the speaker emulation/mic, and the DT25 adjusts, and you have full control over the topology of the amp.  Some people use a full amp model because they like the sounds.  When you use it with the PowerCab, none of the amp controls work, and you mostly use the PC as a FRFR speaker, or you use the PC+ and an Impulse Response, or a "speaker emulation".  When you do that, you probably would want to use "none" for the speaker model in the HD500.

I was bummed that you can't use both DT25 and PC at the same time with the L6Link cable.

I won't be making video comparisons or anything beyond my description above.

Regarding tone alone... if you have keep one and get rid of the other, where would you stand? 

On 2/1/2021 at 9:32 PM, lchapman said:

My DT 25 was losing power as well until I changed out the tubes (3). Now proper power has been restored to both channels. I hadn't changed the tubes since I've had it. Big difference. They 'cook' over time since they bake upside down (the way they're mounted) and as heat rises, it cooks the tubes. Over time, heat does a number even on good tubes. Anyway, I got my tubes from TubeDepot for $34. I also substituted a ECC83 for the 12AX7, as they are the same tube. The ECC83 was $11 and the two EL84 were $10 each. Shipping #3. I ordered the tubes initially just to check if tubes were the problem, and they were. Simple substitution is quite often used in troubleshooting. I'm an electronics engineer. Wish I could get my hands on a DT 25 schematic. It almost makes me want to buy a Fender tube! There's just so MUCH digital in the D 25. The amp really doesn't have FX's like compression, phaser, chorus, etc. It just has the ability to turn off 2 of the screens in the tubes so that you get a triode out of a pentode tube (as an example). It does have voicing of course, but if you're not into British hard Rock and metal, the voices don't necessarily offer much. I would trade them in a heartbeat for simple compression and a nice phaser built-in.

Anyway, new tubes were a big help om power loss!

make sure you set the bias on the tubes (carefully) and use only the EH tubes.  Lot's of threads on how the amp is spec'd specifically for those tubes.