Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix interface latency

SaschaFranck

Ok, I'm wondering now. Or venting off. Or whatever...

Latency of the Helix as an audio interface is all the way on par with the worst of the worst interfaces on the market. Under macOS, at 44.1kHz and 64 samples buffersize, roundtrip latency is 16.9ms (measured manually - but also reported by Logic). Seriously, that's as bad as it gets.

And here comes the kicker: When using it without the dedicated driver as a class compliant interface through Core Audio (which is unfortunately causing some issues here and there and not a parallel option anymore for whatever weird reasons since firmware 2.8 I think...), the resulting latency figures are *way* lower, IIRC (can't be bothered to delete the driver at the moment) something around 9ms. Usually, whenever audio interfaces come with their own driver, the RTL figures are better compared to using Core Audio (or ASIO4All under Windows), with the Helix it's the opposite. IMO this shows a clear lack of effort in the driver development department. Even my Zoom G3 comes up with less latency, the Boss GT-10 too.

Add to this that, while causing some issues, things such as crackles or so in recordings aren't happening when using the Helix in class compliant mode (these would usually be a reason to raise the internal "safety buffers").

I'm absolutely fine with mediocre driver performance on a unit which isn't meant to be a professional audio interface in the first place - but as being an audio interface is at least a rather large part of the "Helix idea" (otherwise we wouldn't see all the USB routing options and such), it should defenitely not deliver the worst performance, either.

To give you an idea: Most interfaces in the 100 bucks realm offer around half the roundtrip latency at the same settings, my €200 Zoom UAC-2 goes down to 5.9ms.

As is, it's completely impossible for me to have any fun with, say, a software amp sim. Heck, it's so bad that discriminating keyboard players would complain about just the output latency (around 9ms plus input MIDI latency), let alone drummers triggering some samples.

Time to give the driver development some love I'd say.

• Thanks 1

First and foremost. the Helix is not a "professional audio interface". 

I've never used the audio interface of the HX series and I really wouldn't expect much from it. Low latency drivers are a specialty kind of thing. There are only a few developers that provide truly low latency drivers and they pay for them either through in house R&D or relying on third-party development.

The lower end Focusrite Scarlett interfaces are about what one can expect at those price points when it comes to low latency amateur use.

This thread, started 9 years ago and still going, is well worth the several days it will take to read and will provide real world insight into the subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

20 minutes ago, optofonik said:

First and foremost. the Helix is not a "a professional audio interface". 

I've never used the audio interface of the HX series and I really wouldn't expect much from it. Low latency drivers are a specialty kind of thing. There are only a few developers that provide truly low latency drivers and they pay for them either through in house R&D or relying on third-party development.

This thread, started 9 years ago and still going, is well worth the several days it will take to read and will provide real world insight into the subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html

As said, I am not expecting "professional audio interface" results out of the interface portion of the Helix. But I'm expecting a little more than the worst possible - which is precisely what we have right now. Again as said, even things such as a uber-cheap Behringer U-Phoria interface beats the Helix by several miles when it comes to low latency.

And fwiw, you'll have a tough time finding any interface doing as bad as the Helix on the GS thread (which I am following ever since it started), even the oldest and cheapest ones included.

Oh, and yet again as said: Even in class compliant mode, performance is *way* better. Which speaks volumes about the driver development.

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Time to give the driver development some love I'd say.

Not to say it ain't gonna happen, but L6 has stated elsewhere that it's not a priority.

If playing with VSTs is that important to you, you'll just have to get a better external AI. My 2nd gen Focusrite Scarlett has the kind of latency you mentioned, and if you have the Floor or Rack, the 6i6 series and up have digital I/O (S/PDIF). Or, you could spend a lot more for lower latency on higher end AIs.

EDIT: just noticed that it's you, Sascha. You already know all this, it's not the first time you've posted about it.

3 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

As said, I am not expecting "professional audio interface" results out of the interface portion of the Helix. But I'm expecting a little more than the worst possible - which is precisely what we have right now. Again as said, even things such as a uber-cheap Behringer U-Phoria interface beats the Helix by several miles when it comes to low latency.

And fwiw, you'll have a tough time finding any interface doing as bad as the Helix on the GS thread (which I am following ever since it started), even the oldest and cheapest ones included.

Oh, and yet again as said: Even in class compliant mode, performance is *way* better. Which speaks volumes about the driver development.

As I understand it Apple's Core Audio is pretty solid. Nevertheless, used Focusrite Scarletts employ the same drivers as new ones, are unified across the line, and the 2nd gen units are relatively inexpensive. I use a 2nd gen 18i20 and Octopre Dynamic for work (not very demanding playback and occasional recording).

Having never used the Helix interface I'm surprised the latency is so bad. Have you done a loop back test?

13 minutes ago, optofonik said:

Have you done a loop back test?

Check.

I learned to never trust reported driver numbers. At least for a while (admittedly some time ago) they were often plain wrong, especially for lower-end-ish units. It's still among the first things I do whenever I'm really interested in an interfaces performance.

22 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If playing with VSTs is that important to you, you'll just have to get a better external AI.

I do have a pretty decent Zoom UAC-2. But using the Helix is *way* more comfortable as I can grab the recorded signal from anywhere in the signal chain, don't need to go through additional ADDA conversion and what not.

And seriously, I really don't expect "great" drivers - but they could at least be as good as what I'm getting through Core Audio. It's like that with pretty much any interface I ever tested, Core Audio usually is quite sufficient but dedicated drivers almost always are somewhat better. With the Helix it's the complete opposite. It's also worse than what you get from Fractal, Boss and - well - even cheap Zoom, Mooer and Hotone units. In a nutshell, we're talking about the worst drivers in any guitar modeler/MFX unit. If I was Line 6, I wouldn't want that.

1 hour ago, optofonik said:

Just in case.

Yeah, thanks. Same observations. Especially under macOS, the Helix driver is horribly bad.
IMO it should be at least good enough to have an occasional testrun of, say, a software amp sim plugin. Something such as 8-10ms at 44.1 and 64 samples would likely be sufficient. At almost 17ms it's a pain to deal with when trying things like that. As said in that thread, the figures we're getting right now are those from 10+ year old cheap interfaces. Even my almost 20y old Emagic EMI 6/2 is doing way better.

The latency really only matters if you need soft-monitoring. And if you do, then it matters. For the "general" use case, with Helix, for guitar players, soft-monitoring is never necessary. Hard-monitoring is effectively zero latency and that's probably how most people are expected to (and do) use Helix as an interface. I know it doesn't solve your specific problem but maybe hardware monitoring could be an option for you.

2 hours ago, malhavok said:

The latency really only matters if you need soft-monitoring. And if you do, then it matters. For the "general" use case, with Helix, for guitar players, soft-monitoring is never necessary. Hard-monitoring is effectively zero latency and that's probably how most people are expected to (and do) use Helix as an interface. I know it doesn't solve your specific problem but maybe hardware monitoring could be an option for you.

I am very obviously using hardware monitoring all the time (basically, when you switch the Helix on, you're monitoring through hardware) and I never expected the Helix to be as suitable for software monitoring as a dedicated audio interface.

Yet, there's always the moment when software monitoring comes in handy as an additional option. For example, checking IRs is cumbsersome on the Helix itself (due to the rather small number of IR slots) but works really nicely inside a DAW. I may as well want to try out some other amp sims just to have a brief look at what things would sound like through them. All this is no fun at all at 17ms latency - and it's even so much you can't clearly judge about things such as IRs anymore because the playing feels so distracted. In addition, 10ms son the output side alone are good enough to make you compensate too much by playing early when using software instruments (and with those, hardware monitoring is no option).

Whatever, I'm not asking for RME league latency figures or whatever - but I'm asking for something a little better than what has to be considered almost the worst on the market.

@Digital_Igloo, are you guys ever looking into that?

4 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

@Digital_Igloo, are you guys ever looking into that?

Really, Alexander, you know that Line 6 staff do not monitor these threads!

See second black banner at the top of this forum “Why is Line 6 not responding???”

Furthermore, as noted by “rd2rk” in an earlier reply, this is not the first time you have made a big deal out of this topic.

If latency is an issue for you, simply post asking for a solution on IdeaScale where it will be seen and possibly submitted for consideration.

Nuff said!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Really, Alexander, you know that Line 6 staff do not monitor these threads!

See second black banner at the top of this forum “Why is Line 6 not responding???”

Furthermore, as noted by “rd2rk” in an earlier reply, this is not the first time you have made a big deal out of this topic.

If latency is an issue for you, simply post asking for a solution on IdeaScale where it will be seen and possibly submitted for consideration.

First off: If you want me to congratulate you for knowing my name as per my passport: Congrats for your investigative efforts! Just so much: Nobody in real life calls me "Alexander" ever since my birth (there's reasons I had to be christened "Alexander" and there's also reasons why this is my name on Facebook, but I won't elaborate on these any further, if you are as clever as you obviously want to look like, you will find out yourself). But hey, feel free to pat yourself on the back each time you're calling me Alexander,  you're doing great. Very great.

Next: Line 6 is occasionally monitoring things here. And in case they don't want to respond, that's - well - "fine", or at least something I have to accept. But that doesn't keep me away from posting things here. After all, if anything, this is their official forum, not TGP or FB.

Furthermore: No, I haven't made a big deal out of this particular topic before. You would probably do yourself a favour and read it up. I have made a sort of a big deal in a thread about latency in general (because it is a big deal in some situations), but it wasn't about the Helix' RTL latency per se because back then I was running it in class compliant mode. In other words: I didn't even know it was *that* bad back then.

And as far as Ideascale goes: I'm absolutely sure that Ideascale is the very last place on earth for this to get attention by Line 6, simply because most people don't care.

First off: If you want me to congratulate you for knowing my name as per my passport: Congrats for your investigative efforts! Just so much: Nobody in real life calls me "Alexander" ever since my birth (there's reasons I had to be christened "Alexander" and there's also reasons why this is my name on Facebook, but I won't elaborate on these any further, if you are as clever as you obviously want to look like, you will find out yourself). But hey, feel free to pat yourself on the back each time you're calling me Alexander,  you're doing great. Very great.

Next: Line 6 is occasionally monitoring things here. And in case they don't want to respond, that's - well - "fine", or at least something I have to accept. But that doesn't keep me away from posting things here. After all, if anything, this is their official forum, not TGP or FB.

Furthermore: No, I haven't made a big deal out of this particular topic before. You would probably do yourself a favour and read it up. I have made a sort of a big deal in a thread about latency in general (because it is a big deal in some situations), but it wasn't about the Helix' RTL latency per se because back then I was running it in class compliant mode. In other words: I didn't even know it was *that* bad back then.

And as far as Ideascale goes: I'm absolutely sure that Ideascale is the very last place on earth for this to get attention by Line 6, simply because most people don't care.

First off: I have better things to do in my life than research facts about you! Surely, it is common knowledge that "Sascha" is the diminutive of the name Alexander. I used that version of your name in a manner rather like a grandparent scolding a naughty child, because yes, Alexander, you do seem to have an opinion about everything. The thing about opinions is that they are like a$$holes - everybody has one and you seem to have more than you fair share.

Try posting your comments about Helix latency on TGP and see how much respect you get, although you may finally get the attention of some Line 6 management.

I as I said - post you request on IdeaScale which is the proper place to get attention. If you are so unhappy with the Helix  a quick solution is to use something else.

Now, as I have a real life rather than an artists impression of one, I shall leave you to annoy some other users with your constant moaning.

Also, you've previously posted about L6 monitoring this forum. If you check on TGP (even if you can no longer post there) you'll find that @DigitalIgloo has more than once explained WHY posting on Ideascale is the way to go for wishlist items, as well as why (may have been someone other than DI) better drivers is not high on their priority list.

If "nobody cares", well, that tells you something, doesn't it?

And, FWIW, on those rare occasions when I feel the need to play a VST or test IRs, the <13ms@64 RTL is NBD.

Latency.thumb.png.c30cd090eabb90527f6189fbfc4068c2.png

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

First off: I have better things to do in my life than research facts about you! Surely, it is common knowledge that "Sascha" is the diminutive of the name Alexander. I used that version of your name in a manner rather like a grandparent scolding a naughty child, because yes, Alexander, you do seem to have an opinion about everything. The thing about opinions is that they are like a$$holes - everybody has one and you seem to have more than you fair share.

Well, you seem to have an opinion about pretty much everything as well - even including trying to treat me like a naughty child. Which speaks volumes about your character.

In addition, not only do I have an opinion about the Helix' latency, it's a very well informed opinion (as pretty much all of my "opinions" are - in many cases, such as in this case, they're facts. But feel free to call it an opinion). If you don't want to read it, just don't bother. As easy as that.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

And, FWIW, on those rare occasions when I feel the need to play a VST or test IRs, the <13ms@64 RTL is NBD.

This is under Windows. Under OSX it's 16.9ms. And if you think it's ok for an interface to come with such bad figures - more power to you. Feel free to ignore my post. Doesn't make my concerns any less valid at all.

3 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

This is under Windows. Under OSX it's 16.9ms. And if you think it's ok for an interface to come with such bad figures - more power to you. Feel free to ignore my post. Doesn't make my concerns any less valid at all.

The real facts don't make your concerns less valid. They simply make your obsession seem excessive to the rest of us who understand that if you want to go 200mph, you buy a Lamborghini, not a KIA. Like the KIA, Helix accomplishes the primary objective, recording HELIX, quite well. A small company's development resources are apportioned according to the most requested features and bug fixes, not according to the special needs of a vocal minority who's requests/demands (as voted for on ideascale) "nobody cares about". And before you start in about how Yamaha is not a small company, L6 is OWNED by Yamaha, but they are NOT Yamaha, but Yamaha likely agrees with their resource apportionment strategy as stated above.

Lastly ( I hope), I wouldn't be at all surprised if L6 improved the drivers in a future update. They've surprised us before. But I'm not counting on it.

For sub 10ms latency I use my Scarlett.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

The real facts don't make your concerns less valid. They simply make your obsession seem excessive to the rest of us who understand that if you want to go 200mph, you buy a Lamborghini, not a KIA. Like the KIA, Helix accomplishes the primary objective, recording HELIX, quite well.

What's obsessive about measuring the Helix latency and posting/commenting the results here once? Right, absolutely nothing.

And by your analogy, a Boss GT-10/100/1000, a Hotone Ampero and a Zoom G3 (plus many others) are Ferraris whereas the Helix is a KIA. Because all of them do *much* better in terms of latency. Not sure I'd be happy about such analogies if I were Line 6...

39 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

What's obsessive about measuring the Helix latency and posting/commenting the results here once? Right, absolutely nothing.

And by your analogy, a Boss GT-10/100/1000, a Hotone Ampero and a Zoom G3 (plus many others) are Ferraris whereas the Helix is a KIA. Because all of them do *much* better in terms of latency. Not sure I'd be happy about such analogies if I were Line 6...

Now that you've vented (or whatever), hopefully, you feel better and, since it's NOT an obsession, we won't have to hear about it again?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Now that you've vented (or whatever), hopefully, you feel better and, since it's NOT an obsession, we won't have to hear about it again?

I think you should leave it to me if and when I will bring up this topic. All too apparently, it's none of your business.

12 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I think you should leave it to me if and when I will bring up this topic. All too apparently, it's none of your business.

WELL! Told me! 

Even on PC the latency is horrible. I do have a JTV loaded with a TriplePlay, and with Helix drivers always been totally unusable.

Also very unstable drivers, they crash everything they dont like.

Hm, haven't been running into stability issues myself - but then, I'm on a different operating system. Should of course not happen on either platform.

Btw, have you tried Asio4All instead of the Line 6 driver? Especially with devices featuring rather poorly written drivers (which defenitely is the case here), this often improves the latency situation - sometimes at the expense of stability and some higher CPU hit, but sometimes everything is just better.

I'm considering switching back to class compliant operation myself, but unfortunately that will cause some issues.

As far as bringing the latency down at least for a little bit goes, this should be pretty well possible for Line 6, unless they've really used the cheapest audio chip in existance (not unlikely, as they're doing that with other hardware parts on the Helix, too - but let's hope a little, especially as it's ok in class compliant mode) or in case they just don't want to bother (which would be a shame).

@SaschaFranck I don't have any solution to latency but I have a few workarounds that I use in your two stated use cases. When I need to audition many IRs I will do this by recording a short loop with no cab on it and can then spin through IRs quickly. Once I narrow it down to a few I'm interested in then I can load those 3-4 onto the unit for more "interactive" experimentation. For soft-synths, I have always favored playing live midi keyboard with a "proxy sound" for hard-monitoring and recording the midi. Then I can audition and tweak the recorded midi through the softsynths of choice. I don't know if either of these workarounds will be good for your situation but it's how I approach the issue of latency in those two use cases.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Hm, haven't been running into stability issues myself - but then, I'm on a different operating system. Should of course not happen on either platform.Btw, have you tried Asio4All instead of the Line 6 driver?

Yep, Im using the Asio4All instead.

23 minutes ago, malhavok said:

@SaschaFranck I don't have any solution to latency but I have a few workarounds that I use in your two stated use cases. When I need to audition many IRs I will do this by recording a short loop with no cab on it and can then spin through IRs quickly. Once I narrow it down to a few I'm interested in then I can load those 3-4 onto the unit for more "interactive" experimentation. For soft-synths, I have always favored playing live midi keyboard with a "proxy sound" for hard-monitoring and recording the midi. Then I can audition and tweak the recorded midi through the softsynths of choice. I don't know if either of these workarounds will be good for your situation but it's how I approach the issue of latency in those two use cases.

Yeah - as far as auditioning IRs goes, I'm doing the same. In fact, most often, I'm just recording some parts with no cab information (I have some projects dedicated to IR mangling and such, those have my most often used sounds prerecorded already), but for quick'n'dirty shootouts I'm using the looper.

Along these lines, I also check software amp sims that way. I just record the DI signal (or use the looper) and fool around. But quite obviously, sometimes you really want to see whether it gets the dynamics right and what not - which is working best when playing things directly. And for that to not become a disturbing experience, IMO RTL should be around 10ms (ideally less, of course). 17ms is just too far away to even deliver an idea, especially in case you check for dynamics and such.

As far as softsynths go, I don't own any keyboard with onboard synthesis anymore - and not exactly being a keyboard player, I never had any decent expanders or such, either. Fortunatly, as I'm a rather miserable keyboard player and as the output latency is "only" 9.4ms (*yuck*, even typing that almost hurts, it's unbelievably bad for an interface running at 64 samples buffersize), so I'm basically quantizing and editing anything anyway, which makes things kinda bearable. I do notice the additional latency a little bit when banging in some percussive stuff on my M-Audio Axiom's rubber pads using headphones, though, but again, I almost almost quantize things (and "humanize" them later on - weird times...).

Fwiw, I find it quite weird that one even has to discuss about such things. I mean, nobody expects world class audio interface performance from a multi FX unit, but a device coming in at 1.5k bucks should as well not deliver what is by far the worst performance of all (even just remotely) comparable candidates. And I certainly didn't expect the Helix to perform *way* worse when using it with its very own dedicated drivers, compared to class compliant Core Audio operation.

So, what kinda latency values are you getting from that? Just curious (I consider buying a Windows convertible for live usage one day after Corona...)

So, with Helix drivers, I can't use any settings, as to make it stop glitching and crackling, I need to go up to 2048 samples (and still glitches btw), with 21 or 42ms of Latency, depending on the Sample Rate.

With A4All, using Helix just as a pass through device, I can set 64 samples, with 1.3ms of latency with no glitches (which is of course not the final latency, but still works way better than Helix).

This is on a i7 Laptop with 16GB of Ram and SSD.

TPA4A.thumb.JPG.f5257b494da1f9176085d8523a721de0.JPGTPHelix48K42ms.thumb.JPG.6b78eb13bfeb037a49f5fa11c72ec98a.JPGTPHelix96K21ms.thumb.JPG.15d1919c8fb25f6665b009ed61fc1497.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, PierM said:

With A4All, using Helix just as a pass through device, I can set 64 samples, with 1.3ms of latency with no glitches (which is of course not the final latency, but still works way better than Helix).

If you really wanted to know about your final latency (which sometimes might at least be interesting to see, pretty often audio hardware isn't reporting its latency properly...), you could check it the manual way, using the RTL Utility from Oblique:

https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php

Not exactly necessary in this case, though, as the rather dramatic differences between ASIO4All and the Line 6 drivers pretty much proves my (or our, whatever...) point already.

Seriously, Line 6 should be able to do better than what basically is a one person sparetime project (even if a little extended by now). And they should also be able to do better than what a basic driver model delivered by the operating system is offering (Core Audio) or at least use that as a reference.

22 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Seriously, Line 6 should be able to do better than what basically is a one person sparetime project (even if a little extended by now). And they should also be able to do better than what a basic driver model delivered by the operating system is offering (Core Audio) or at least use that as a reference.

I of course agree, in fact I never took the Helix into consideration as a valid audio interface. Always seen this just as a "extra" feature to pump the product, but since day 1, I've seen drivers were a bad substandard. I also think this is not just about "fix" the drivers. I believe they would need a total rewrite from scratch, but with plenty of users saying they works fine as they are (helix users are very hard to admit its weak spots and limitations, for some reason I'll never understand), I'm not seeing this happening any time soon.

3 hours ago, PierM said:

I of course agree, in fact I never took the Helix into consideration as a valid audio interface. Always seen this just as a "extra" feature to pump the product, but since day 1, I've seen drivers were a bad substandard. I also think this is not just about "fix" the drivers. I believe they would need a total rewrite from scratch, but with plenty of users saying they works fine as they are (helix users are very hard to admit its weak spots and limitations, for some reason I'll never understand), I'm not seeing this happening any time soon.

Well, I actually think that the Helix is doing quite nicely as an audio interface, especially in case you're mainly recording guitars. The DI input is just excellent (most interfaces suffer from not too shiny high impedance inputs so you need extra stuff such as buffers, DI boxes or whatever) especially in conjunction with the impedance settings. Apart from a few smaller drawbacks, the routing options are great, too and I don't think it was ever easier to deal with re-amping (including the use of hardware amps). Add to this Helix Native and it's easily the most comfortable to deal with recording/re-amping package of the bunch.

And especially because of all that it's even more of a dissapointment to see the drivers perform *that* bad. I mean, they're not even average, (and I wouldn't expect more that that).

Fwiw, I don't know whether it'd take a larger rewrite. I mean, given that Core Audio does a pretty decent job with the Helix in class compliant mode, given that ASIO4All doesn't seem to work too bad, either, it shouldn't be all that tough for a decent development team to get close with a dedicated driver.

57 minutes ago, rsvette12 said:

I am going to try asio4all tonight - tried in past but will revisit it - I've been reading line6 driver is way better but that doesnt seem to be the case

It's been a while since I used ASIO4All, back then the results were quite mixed (sometimes just nice, sometimes plain horrible and crashy), but seeing that even some interface makers recommend it here and there, it seems to have made quite a leap forward.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well... I´ve somehow experienced that bad latency with iPad. Recently tried my Helix LT with iPad mini 2 as an audio interface, just for connecting the guitar and using the Mooer Ge Labs app for iOS. Well, I got surprised to see that the latency was worse than using my Zoom U-44 interface. The Zoom is able to run the app at minimum latency settings, while Helix needs to raise the buffer samples (from 32 to 64) to avoid crackling noises, thus increasing latency. So yeah... it seems that Line6 has not the best audio interface implementation in the world.