Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Favor to ask LT Owners

kraftybob

If you have the Helix LT, are using the Ext Amp control and have a meter, can I ask a favor of you?  With a TRS cable plugged into the Ext Amp jack, measure the DC voltage across the tip to sleeve and ring to sleeve at the end of the cable and let me know what you get?  I would imagine the Helix floor would yield the same results, but since I have the LT I figured I'd stick with that for an apples-to-apples comparison. 

The reason for my ask is my LT only changes the reverb (ring) on my Marshall DSL40C, and not the channel (tip).  I called Line 6 Support and all they could say is they don't guarantee it works with all amps.  However, my DSL foot switch is "short to sleeve" as the Helix manual states, and it is changing the reverb.  I would expect if it wasn't compatible it would not work at all.  Also, I know of other DSL users (not necessarily the 40C) that use both functions.  Additionally, to see if changing the channel was the problem, I rewired one end of a TRS cable swapping the tip and ring.  This sent the ring signal from the helix to the tip in my amp, and that successfully changes the channel.  The reverb no longer works because now it's getting the tip signal from the Helix - which is what I expected. 

I think something is messed up in my Helix because the voltages across the tip vs ring are different.  I asked Line 6 about this as well and they couldn't answer me.  However, if a few of you all have the similar readings to each other, and they are different than mine, I can go back to Helix with some evidence to hopefully convince them that mine needs to be repaired. 

Here's what I get with my Helix:

Tip On = 3.26v

Tip Off = 3.26v

Ring On = 3.5mv

Ring Off = 2.0mv

As you can see the tip is measuring in volts while the ring measures in mv.  Also, the ring (which is the one that works) changes voltage when the state changes from on/off, whereas the tip remains constant. 

Thank you in advance if you are able to check this for me.

LT owner here with latest (2.92 as of today) firmware installed....

I just created a blank path and assigned a footswtich to Ext Amp TIP and another footswitch to Ext Amp RING

Tip On = 2.97v

Tip Off = 2.97v

Ring On = 4mv  

Ring Off = 4mv

Those numbers are very similar to your numbers....

NOTE: Voltage is irrelevant. For EXT amp switching, a dead short is suppose to be created between "tip / sleeve" and "ring / sleeve".

On my LT, both the TIP and the RING properly dead short to sleeve when I press the corresponding foot switches. 

IMO... You need to test for dead shorts.... if those are working as expected, then the problem is at your amp, not from the Helix.  If those are not dead shorting, then the problem is at the Helix. 

I could be wrong (it happens), but AFAIK, all those types of switches do is to complete a circuit.

The only measurement that should matter is continuity.

I can't explain the voltage variances, but again AFAIK,  any voltage supplied is simply to light an LED if required.

As I requested in your other thread, why not attach a sample preset, so we can eliminate user error as a cause?

Thank you for testing and for your feedback.  I didn't realize the voltages aren't necessarily in play here - which makes sense now that I think about it since it's a "short to sleeve" function.  I setup the same patch as you did Codamedia - with a footswitch for tip and another for ring (attached).  I then checked the continuity and the Ring shorts out but the tip does not.  I also did a short video of my test which you can see below.

This is very helpful and pretty straight forward for me to go back to Line 6 with.  Thanks again!

Edited to add I confirmed the cable is good as it rings out on both ends.  I also get the same result with a different cable.

@rd2rk - I don't have a response from you on my other thread - perhaps you're thinking of someone else?  Here's the thread: 

Ext Amp Test.hlx

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just opened a support case online with Line 6 with this latest information.  I was going to call them but it's after their support hours.

Also, I just realized what an idiot I am lol.  During my testing I reconnected the original Marshall footswitch and was using my meter to check continuity so I knew which state the buttons were in (my foot switch does not have LED's).  But for some reason when I switched to testing my Helix I was looking at voltage, not continuity.  I have no idea why...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Pete at Line 6 support watched my video and confirmed the Ext Amp is not working correctly.  There’s an authorized repair center about 45 mins from my house so I called them asking what their turn-around time is for this type of repair. I’m hoping to get it in this week.

I’ll update when it’s fixed.