Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

All formats sound strikingly different

mc0397mc

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Hardware specs below

When played through monitors the patch I have created sounds full, all the reverb and delay sounds precisely what I'm going after, everything is exactly as it should sound. 

Open Cubase to record, I usually dual track or quad track with different panning settings but I only record monitor through a track I set up for monitoring in stereo. When I send to cubase through USB 1/2 it sounds dead. Reverb is gone, missing a delay block from what I can hear, eq is tinny.

I don't usually use Native but thought I'd give it a shot, I imported the patch to Native (really inconvenient way they have that set up, why wouldn't HX Edit and Native have the same presets ?) and it sounds actually worse. 

TL;DR Helix floor patch sounds empty through a DAW, perfectly fine through monitors

Hardware specs:

2017 iMac 1tb SATA Drive 16gb RAM

Helix Floor

Yamaha hs80 monitors

Sounds like you have something set up incorrectly. I most often record a wet and dry track simultaneously into Reaper so I can run the dry track through Native. Using the same preset, Native sounds exactly the same as my recorded wet track. Are you using multiple paths in your preset? Could it be that something funky is going on in multiple output blocks?

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

Sounds like you have something set up incorrectly. I most often record a wet and dry track simultaneously into Reaper so I can run the dry track through Native. Using the same preset, Native sounds exactly the same as my recorded wet track. Are you using multiple paths in your preset? Could it be that something funky is going on in multiple output blocks?

Thanks Phil, I think so too but I can't narrow it down. I have attached 3 screen shots below: 

#1 - Line 1 

#2 - Line 2

#3 - Line 3

If you want more images like routing in my DAW or anything else let me know

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.44 PM.png

19 minutes ago, mc0397mc said:

Thanks Phil, I think so too but I can't narrow it down. I have attached 3 screen shots below: 

#1 - Line 1 

#2 - Line 2

#3 - Line 3

If you want more images like routing in my DAW or anything else let me know

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 3.42.44 PM.png

So in all these screenshots, you have all the paths' output blocks set to the 1/4" outs. Nothing would be being sent to USB 1/2. Are you saying you're changing them to USB 1/2 when recording? It also seems strange to me that you have the cab block in Path 1A feeding into another cab block on Path 1B, but that might be beside the point.

So what exactly are you doing when you record?

1 minute ago, phil_m said:

So in all these screenshots, you have all the paths' output blocks set to the 1/4" outs. Nothing would be being sent to USB 1/2. Are you saying you're changing them to USB 1/2 when recording? It also seems strange to me that you have the cab block in Path 1A feeding into another cab block on Path 1B, but that might be beside the point.

So what exactly are you doing when you record?

When I go to record I set the all outputs to USB 1/2. 

18 minutes ago, mc0397mc said:

When I go to record I set the all outputs to USB 1/2. 

So in your first post, you mentioned setting up a track to monitor in stereo. Does that mean you're monitoring through Cubase?

Are your monitors plugged into Helix, or your Mac? If it's the Mac, that's problem #1. Monitors need to be plugged into Helix, even if you're recording via USB. The Helix becomes your sound card.

Second thing I see -- your patches have an amp and cab running into another cab in some cases. You also have a path with an IR running into another IR. That isn't necessarily a problem, but it's definitely unconventional and is likely to yield weird/thin tones (maybe you wanted that, though).

Tinny tones are often the result of phase cancellation, so make sure you haven't inadvertently flipped the phase of any of your paths where they merge, too. That kind of thing will sound fine through headphones, but as soon as you listen through monitors (or merge the signal to mono), it'll sound awful.

If you post your presets and IRs here, we can take a closer look and see if the issue is with your DAW or your presets.