Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Battery Solution for busking

GeorgeMavrogenis

Hello! I would like to use my HX Stomp on the street for busking and I am trying to figure out a way to power it. Does anybody have experience with that and can recommend me examples of the necessary equipment to buy?

I'm not very well acquainted with circuits- and battery-terms. As far as I have understood it, I will need to supply it with 9V and at least 2 Amperes. If you could reply in simple terms, that would be very appreciated! But any tips are welcome!

A solution that I think can work, is buying a powerbank with a 2Ampere USB output that can be adjusted to 9 Volts + a cable that turns the powerbank's USB into a DC for the HX Stomp. Has somebody tried this and can confirm that it works?

Another similar solution I think might work is connecting a 2 Ampere powerbank to this converter  (https://reverb.com/de/item/7341557-ionic-audio-5v-usb-to-9v-dc-converter), but that to me seems to achieve the same results as the first solution, while being a bit more expensive. 

Your post neglected to state what you are intending to use to power your speaker. That answer, might resolve how to power the HX Stomp. Numerous portable and rugged automotive jump start devices can provide ample 12v power for busking. Some of these units have multiple format output jacks (12v, USB, 120V), and some use newer smaller and much lighter lithium batteries which are significantly more portable than the traditional 12v lead acid battery type. Most are available from automotive or large hardware shops: such as Nappa, Pep Boys, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Costco, etc. from as low as $40 to $100 depending on brand and features. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, MusicLaw said:

Your post neglected to state what you are intending to use to power your speaker. That answer, might resolve how to power the HX Stomp. Numerous portable and rugged automotive jump start devices can provide ample 12v power for busking. Some of these units have multiple format output jacks (12v, USB, 120V), and some use newer smaller and much lighter lithium batteries which are significantly more portable than the traditional 12v lead acid battery type. Most are available from automotive or large hardware shops: such as Nappa, Pep Boys, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Costco, etc. from as low as $40 to $100 depending on brand and features. 

The HX Stomp will lead into an Alto Über PA, that has inbuilt battery supply. (It also has a USB power output but sadly only with 1 Ampere.) So I only need to power the HX Stomp.

If I understood you correctly, you are suggesting a lithium powerbank. Is there a reason you are speaking of "12V of output" for it? I am asking, because the are powerbanks with 9V outputs and the HX Stomp needs 9V.

The majority of the lithium powerbanks introduced over the past few years are designed to recharge smartphones, tablets, etc. The more recent higher capacity lithium powerbank units designed for the automotive market and sold to jump start vehicles have a much higher power capacity. These are typically set up for 12v output as the majority of vehicles are 12v. Many of the newer automotive lithium jump start units also offer alternative voltage and output jack formats (so you have alternatives to the also provided automotive alligator clamps).

15 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

The majority of the lithium powerbanks introduced over the past few years are designed to recharge smartphones, tablets, etc. The more recent higher capacity lithium powerbank units designed for the automotive market and sold to jump start vehicles have a much higher power capacity. These are typically set up for 12v output as the majority of vehicles are 12v. Many of the newer automotive lithium jump start units also offer alternative voltage and output jack formats (so you have alternatives to the also provided automotive alligator clamps).

Understood. I 've searched the web for a few hours after reading your reply and stumbled upon plenty lithium jump starters with alternative jacks and voltage, but sadly none with the exact 9 Volt, >2 Ampere, DC Jack specifications. Did you have a particular product in mind and if so, would you be so kind and post it?

Not anything specific. I have seen different versions at COSTCO, and Harbor Freight Tools. So long as the device is rated to supply 12v (w/ ample voltage), you'll be fine stepping it down to 9v (with the proper adapter cable); and many devices will happily run on a 12V source even though they only need 9v. Nonetheless, to be sure you do not damage your gear, be cautious what you connect to what. YMMV. And, to be clear, I have not connected my HX Stomp to a battery powered source. 

On 7/12/2020 at 4:35 PM, GeorgeMavrogenis said:

Hello! I would like to use my HX Stomp on the street for busking and I am trying to figure out a way to power it. Does anybody have experience with that and can recommend me examples of the necessary equipment to buy?

I'm not very well acquainted with circuits- and battery-terms. As far as I have understood it, I will need to supply it with 9V and at least 2 Amperes. If you could reply in simple terms, that would be very appreciated! But any tips are welcome!

A solution that I think can work, is buying a powerbank with a 2Ampere USB output that can be adjusted to 9 Volts + a cable that turns the powerbank's USB into a DC for the HX Stomp. Has somebody tried this and can confirm that it works?

Another similar solution I think might work is connecting a 2 Ampere powerbank to this converter  (https://reverb.com/de/item/7341557-ionic-audio-5v-usb-to-9v-dc-converter), but that to me seems to achieve the same results as the first solution, while being a bit more expensive. 

As MusicLaw said one option may be these modern automotive booster/jumpers with small light and powerful rechargeable lithium batteries. There are a ton of them available on Amazon. Also as he already pointed out many of them have the required USB ports that can provide 9v to a portable device rather than the 12v used for jumping a dead car battery.

You will want to order a USB to barrel type connector with the correct polarity for the HX Stomp unless you get lucky enough to find a charger where it is included. The adapters are under $10 on Amazon.

Here's one that lists its ability to provide 3 amps at 9v from the USB port. The HX Stomp should only pull as many amps as it requires. Many of the batteries that provide at least 2 amps may be listed as having "fast charging" for the USB ports. This generally means they provide at least 2 amps. I would look around for the best price though and get one with as high a "mAh" rating as possible as this will determine how long the battery will last on a single charge and potentially how consistent the current is as the battery starts to run out of steam. Many of them come with both a DC power supply(cigarette lighter socket) for your car and AC power supply for home for recharging the battery. If that is important to you check for both power supply types to be included.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-FLYLINKTECH-15000mAh-Capacity-Portable/dp/B085G97YQ5/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=9v+battery+booster&qid=1594841720&sr=8-16

• Like 1

Ok, so I got it working! I decided to go with the Falken 1 ( https://www.thomann.de/gb/kse_falken_1.htm ( price: 112Euros/ 128 USD )). It has a 9V 2A output and someone in the reviews mentioned using it successfully for his Hx Stomp. 

The Flylinktech jump starter mentioned above provides 9V 2A (not 3A) too, but I don't know, if a part of that 2A is somehow lost, when converting from USB to DC Jack. So I decided to go with the more expensive but guaranteed-to-work choice.

Oh and the Falken 1 includes one cable that has the right size (DC5.5x2.5mm) for the Hx Stomp's jack. The other included DC cables didn't fit, so I imagine that if someone decides to try out the method with the powerbank + seperately bought DC cable, then they would have to buy a cable with that specific DC5.5x2.5mm jack.

I briefly tested it at home yesterday. The battery depleted a little bit after 4 hours, which can be limiting, but works fine for me.

I was using all 6 blocks, the Hx Stomp got as hot as usual and there was no noise. It sounds great actually :)

109298693_284768596290510_6155523324716078223_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice solution, Ive been looking at probllem for y HXFX this but had not seen the Falken.

in terms of current, the HXFX runs at around 1A, but needs somthing like 2A at start up (I did measure it, but cant remember the exact figures)

Another solution that, i am considering is using bike light battery packs, they will deliver the current, but are only 8.4v so I need to check the function of HXFX at lower voltages. I already use these as bike lights, so know they will deliver 1A for at least 4 hours, and they are cheap!  I should add, you will obviosly need to check/swap the polarity! or you will fry somthing!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BSWAN-Rechargeable-13200mAh-HeadLight-Taillight/dp/B07K9RDYSB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cree+bike+light+8.4v+battery&qid=1596969062&sr=8-1

Edited by Josef5150
polarity disclaimer

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, late to your conversation but I power my pedalboard (hx stomp, jet micro midi, source audio C4, darkglass VMT, and expression) with an Anker powerbank.

It’s the bigboi but it doesn’t have to be.

The usb C output on the battery goes to a mission 529HC which feeds the Stomp appropriate power with the correct larger barrel size.

1of2 USB A outputs has a ripcord usb-to-9v-barrel jack cord plugged in. The red one, not the blue. Blue is center positive I think, good for other stuff. It’s made by myvolts as I recall.

that barrel jack then goes to a common pedalboard splitter cable to power the 9v pedals.

there’s also some Bluetooth and other small time wizardry going on. 

when I’m off battery power like at home, or leave the board awake for longer periods I use a couple basic cell chargers for the usb a and c cables into mains/wall power. I want to use a single charger plug with both ports, and got the anker one, but the metal button on the ripcord prevents them both being plugged in at the same time and several emails with other common brands reveals they have a similar layout and spacing on most of their similar products. Bit of a bummer. The ripcord button COULD be hacked off but eh I don’t want to break it until I have replacements handy.

my whole setup is mounted to a Mono Pedalboard Lite Plus, carried in a Moog Theremin gigbag with a small speaker (used wired with headphone out on Stomp) and cheapie wireless units.

I think it’s a pretty great setup and I can plug just about any 1/4 inch signal into it and get something great on the other end. 

i promise it looks cleaner when I didn’t just do a whole experimentation thing. When it’s on battery power it’s just a complete standalone practice/portable rig. Thought about getting a Roland battery PA or maybe the JBL Eon One. But my little UE Boom speaker does rather well for apartment use!

image.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, endeneu said:

Hey guys, late to your conversation but I power my pedalboard (hx stomp, jet micro midi, source audio C4, darkglass VMT, and expression) with an Anker powerbank.

What kind of battery life are you getting with this setup? Powerbank model?

• 8 months later...

Hi @GeorgeMavrogenis 

I'm looking to get the Falken 1 to power my hx stomp (and 1 other pedal, a boss sy-1 which draws just 80mA)

How has it worked out for you. Any issues running on battery?

Also when Im at home can I just plug it in and run it from dc without that damaging the battery?

Thanks

Masten  :)