Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native - Extremely muddy! Please help..

wafelo

I'll try to describe my problem as briefly as possible - I saw multiple videos with presentations of default presets of Helix Native - since I'm also interested in getting a Helix LT, and some claim that Helix Native sound should be identical to Helix LT's, I decided to give Helix Native a try...and the sounds it produced is some kind of joke, compared to the videos I saw.

A couple of videos which to give a comparison between the presented sound and the sound I achieved (soundcloud links below the videos)

Timestamps: 4:07 - Cali Rectifire / 5:48 - German Ubersonic

Timestamps: 0:23 Cali / 0:40 German Ubersonic

And here are my samples:

Cali Rectifire

and German Ubersonic

I didn't care to play nicely, so apart from my playing, the sound I got is just a mud fest - comparing to the tone presented in the videos, I have very poor treble/gain output, as if I had 50% less "power", even though I used the default presets, just like in the videos.

Here's a short description of my gear / signal chain:

Guitar* -> Line6 POD Studio UX1 -> PC via USB (recorded via Cakewalk Sonar)

The device drivers are up to date, in Cakewalk Sonar i use UX1 Outputs / inputs and ASIO drivers. (ASIO UX1, not ASIO4ALL) - sample rate 48000 HZ / 24 bit / Buffer size: 512 (I obviously tried fiddling with sample rate/buffer size and input/output volumes only to achieve the same results)

My PC seems to handle other VSTs well (I have Bias FX2 / POD Farm / a pair of standalone plugins from Neural DSP) and they sound well using the settings mentioned above- I even tried comparing results of loading the plugins into a DAW against standalone tones, but the results were the same. (I usually try all the possibilities before writing a post somewhere)

* in this case - an LTD with Seymour duncans, JB Bridge PU was used to record both samples. (I achieve almost the same results with my Schecter Hellraiser with EMGs)

As I mentioned, I consider buying a Helix in the near future and connect it to PC and use as audio interface and I am afraid that I end up with such terrible sound.. I currently use a Trial version of Helix Native, so I really hope that someone helps me getting a solution to this problem..

• 4 weeks later...

When you say "muddy" it makes me think that you may be overdriving the signal chain. Try turning things down (interface input volume, Helix input level) and also dialing down the bass and drive on amps. Another thing to experiment with is putting an EQ plug-in before Helix and see what adjusting low-mids and low-end does....

• 10 months later...