Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar tunning .10/.46 & pitch glide

Cz_Ser

Hi folks! Just arrived my hd500x 2 days ago. Got a fresh pack of EB regular slinky (. 10 /. 46) to replace in my RR1. 

Soooo..... Question is (never tryed pitch glide or D tunning):

Op A) Tune std E and down to whatever with pitch glide. 

Op B) Take advantage of the high tensión in this pack (tunning to std E requires 5 springs set in my schaller double locking trem). Tune D and use pitch glide for std tunnig and even lower (C, B) 

The op B came while thinking 5 springs means there's a lot of tension in that pack. 

Trem, action & relief adjust is no issue, just pain in the axe. I read U. Thanks. 

Option D

Buy a non-trem guitar for different tunings. Tuning on a GLP is so much easier. 

You could also go with a Variax, which will digitally alter tunings for you without the need to actually tune the guitar. AND, the settings can be stored in your patches. 

Option G: 

Buy a different guitar for each tuning, and a backup of each. 

Plus, slap some common sense into your band mates that want to play songs that require different tunings. Nobody wants to sit there sipping their beer waiting you guys to tune and detune and then retune. 

Option Z:

Buy a bass. 

I have to do 2 different tunings and my guitars have a tremolo system.  The only way to do it is by using a different guitar for each tuning.  The pitch glide in the PODHD will give strange sounds when used for chords depending on the tone you're using or chords you're playing.  I also have a backup guitar without a tremolo in case something goes wrong I can quickly tune it to what I need.  So for 2 different tunings I bring 3 guitars to each gig.  Which you should always bring 2 guitars anyway, so what's one more.

Or you could buy a pedal made for changing the tuning.

Or do what pianoguyy says.

First, thanks for your comments. Apreciate your time. 

Second, Argentina (where I was born an live) has a seriuos economic crisys. For ex: this 10 years old unit(or so) represents in real terms 136% of my monthly salary. So, take your calculators, compare how much represent it in real terms against your monthly incomes. 

The point is that another decent guitar, lets say a Esp Ltd M1000 Deluxe Emg 81 (used) would be 333%. 

No choice here guys... That's why I asked about pitch glide. 

BTW, my RR1 got it when I was single, lived with my parents, in the deal of my life. But that kind of oportunities comes once in a lifetime. Best wishes, be safe. 

don't take this the wrong way.... 

sell the guitar. take the money and live like a king for a year. 

Beyond that.... 

tune the guitar however you want. 

and then use use the transpose to do what you need. 

rock on

On 7/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, pianoguyy said:

tune the guitar however you want. 

and then use use the transpose to do what you need

Well, from my previous experience with gt8, I was able to downpitch 1 tone. Yet not perfect but usable, In live context with hi gain sim, few could tell. 

I asked, because read comments saying it's no good with polyphonies, and some others saying to had achieved decent resoults putting the PG at the very begining of the FX chain. So yeap, that was realy the very first idea, but the question was other: PG up or PG down? Bear in mind that PG up would never be further than E

I used the pitch glide several times to play some songs 1 or 2 half steps down, never had a problem as long as the live volume was so loud that I couldn't hear at all the acoustic sound coming from the electric guitar. (Some electric guitars resonate acoustically very much)

If weird resonances really happen in the guitar signal when using the pitch glide to transpose the tuning, the best proof would be to record the transposed signal and then listen to the playback, if the recording is perfectly ok (as it most probably is) it means that the live annoying resonances are due only to the fact that you can still perceive the acoustic sound in its original tuning together with the transposed signal.

3 hours ago, Cz_Ser said:

PG up or PG down?

In my opinion it is better to PG down, it's more natural sounding than PG up which in comparison sounds a bit more fake and thin.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

2 hours ago, hurghanico said:

In my opinion it is better to PG down, it's more natural sounding than PG up which in comparison sounds a bit more fake and thin.

Ok, soy I'll go that way. Appreciate that. 

Back here folks. I've got little time just to start up using the unit, matching levels and so, but also tried pitch glide to down tune from E to D amd tryed some motley crue stuff. I think pitch glide sounds pretty good for chord rythm. I put it just second After the noise gate