Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.92 update procedure

Borgelin79

Hi,

according to the procedure, we need to do the following in step 6 and 7:

6. From the File pull-down menu, click "Restore from backup..." A dialog appears. Click "Restore Backup" and then "Yes."

7. Once the restore has finished, turn your Helix/HX product off and then on again.

When you have updated the firmware, it rebuilds presets. Everything looks fine after that.
Yet, we need to restore the backup taken before the update and turn the Helix off and on, but when it starts up it will just rebuild the presets again to 2.92 versions.
So why are we doing this? Are the guy writing the procedures smoking crack, or am I missing something? (My guess is the latter. :)

Hi, I have a question about this update version that I couldn't post elsewhere (maybe it's my browser, but I can't post directly): my current software and firmware versions are 2.21, if I'm correct. So pretty outdated. I've read that version 2.80 included a big overhaul in the Helix internal logics. So the question is: can I update my Helix directly from an old version such as 2.21 straight to 2.92? Or should I update to 2.80 first, and THEN to 2.92? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Borgelin79 said:

Hi,

according to the procedure, we need to do the following in step 6 and 7:

6. From the File pull-down menu, click "Restore from backup..." A dialog appears. Click "Restore Backup" and then "Yes."

7. Once the restore has finished, turn your Helix/HX product off and then on again.

When you have updated the firmware, it rebuilds presets. Everything looks fine after that.
Yet, we need to restore the backup taken before the update and turn the Helix off and on, but when it starts up it will just rebuild the presets again to 2.92 versions.
So why are we doing this? Are the guy writing the procedures smoking crack, or am I missing something? (My guess is the latter. :)

I don't think I've ever done a restore after updating the firmware and all the presets have been rebuilt.  I've always assumed that was there just in case something went wrong, which in my case has never happened.

33 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I don't think I've ever done a restore after updating the firmware and all the presets have been rebuilt.  I've always assumed that was there just in case something went wrong, which in my case has never happened.

I know, right?

So why are Line6 telling us in red and bold that we have to do this, thereby making the Helix rebuilding the presets 2 times? I don't get it.

The requirement for a full restore in the last update may have been to ensure proper restoration of the global settings and/or the setlists and presets. Either way an explanatory note would have been great to have.

There is still something disconcerting about the preset rebuilding process in general. I am not particularly concerned about the one that happens after a firmware update. I agree it seems a little redundant as you would think the rebuild would happen during the restore but it is not such a terrible idea to build an additional catchall process that only happens once after an update. 

What is weird is the rebuilding behavior we see with imported and copied/moved presets! 

I would potentially expect the import of presets, particularly ones created in other firmware versions or by other HX devices to rebuild, preferably dynamically and immediately when they are imported, not when the Helix is restarted. If the preset really does actually require a rebuild that can only be executed upon a restart that preset should be locked and not allow editing until that rebuild occurs.  At least that would be the way things work in most software.

What many may have noticed and what I don't understand and find a little concerning is that if I just copy and paste presets to new locations, I get a rebuild upon my next restart. This is without importing any new presets, just moving existing already previously rebuilt presets around to different Helix preset slots.  Don't know about anyone else but I don't feel warm and fuzzy editing something that needs to be rebuilt upon restart until it undergoes the rebuild first. Apologies for commenting on this ad nauseum but this bizarre behavior has existed for years and Line6 should probably straighten this out so that when you move or copy a previously rebuilt preset it either gets rebuilt during the copy/move operation or has a flag that lets the Helix know it does not require being rebuilt upon restart. Again, if it really does require a rebuild upon restart then that preset should probably be locked and you should not be able to edit it until the Helix is restarted.

To me there is something clearly wrong, inexplicable, or just unnecessary and redundant with not only how imported but also how existing and previously rebuilt presets are flagged again for rebuilds after copy/move. At a minimum the current process creates a bit of an unnecessary delay and head-scratching upon restart and worst case scenario it is allowing presets to be edited that won't be ready for prime time until their rebuild at the next restart. In other software products, editing things when they are betwixt and between and before they are upgraded to the current version can potentially cause issues with those presets down the road.

My guess is that somewhere along the way the current rebuild process was devised to handle several possible scenarios that could otherwise result in corrupt presets as people mixed and matched presets from a variety of firmware revisions and sources and moved through the firmware updates.

Maybe the "rebuild" message should be changed to "registering". I have no idea but perhaps the process is strictly location oriented and the Helix is actually just registering which presets are in which slots rather than actually rebuilding them. That would make more sense to me than multiple redundant rebuilds. As a longtime IT person though the current rebuilding process is highly unusual and looks like it could be streamlined or at least have the messaging improved and the necessity for it better explained.  

1 hour ago, wilssantos said:

Hi, I have a question about this update version that I couldn't post elsewhere (maybe it's my browser, but I can't post directly): my current software and firmware versions are 2.21, if I'm correct. So pretty outdated. I've read that version 2.80 included a big overhaul in the Helix internal logics. So the question is: can I update my Helix directly from an old version such as 2.21 straight to 2.92? Or should I update to 2.80 first, and THEN to 2.92? Thanks!

Go straight to 2.92.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

These latest updates seem to change the Global Settings in some unpredictable ways, so I think that’s the main reason they added the Restore from Backup as a “required” step in the instructions.