Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod GO as effects only

benthere77

9 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO.... in your global settings set it so the Amp Output bypasses the amp/cab settings. 

Just plug the amp out to the amp and play. When you want the amp sims (to FRFR or direct to PA), use the normal outputs. 

I agree. But bare in mind that amp out bypasses ONLY cab, so you still get the amp modelling to get your clean/distortion settings out of the simulated amp (and should work well even if you go to your regular amp input).

2 hours ago, cristt said:

I agree. But bare in mind that amp out bypasses ONLY cab, so you still get the amp modelling to get your clean/distortion settings out of the simulated amp (and should work well even if you go to your regular amp input).

Sorry about that.... I misunderstood how that worked. 

My suggestion for going through an amp then would just be to disable both the amp and cab block. You can turn those on if you ever need to go direct, but leave them off when going to the amp. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, codamedia said:

Sorry about that.... I misunderstood how that worked. 

My suggestion for going through an amp then would just be to disable both the amp and cab block. You can turn those on if you ever need to go direct, but leave them off when going to the amp. 

I would agree with you, but looks like, at least at the moment, amp out brings your amp sim out. But if you intend to go only to your amp (no main outs) just switch off your amp from the patch!

Or, maybe better, plug your amp out into the FX return of your amp.

You could assign a footswitch to bypass the amp. Hit the two Page buttons together and then use the Bypass/Assign to pick the footswitch. Or if you don't want to do that, then pick your preset and hit Mode, then use the top knob to the right of the screen to pick your amp block, then press down the knob right below it. That'll toggle that block off. Then you have effects only.

Use that list on the benvesco site to pick a "free" (or none beyond the partitioned DSP) to save as much DSP horsepower as you can for the effects. 

Probably want to create a preset just for no amp. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm curious to do this as well.  I want to use the PodGo as my 'pedalboard' in front of my home practice amp: Randall Diavlo 1watt.  I could also do that by doing the 4CMethod.  

So basically, no amps, no cabs, no sims: I want to turn those off.  I want to use an OD, delay, chorus, flanger, wah, etc.  

So, my understanding to do this is: 1) Turn off the amp  blocks (pre and post amp) 2) Turn off the Sim/Cab block; 3) plug guitar into PG Guitar In; 4) From PG plug Amp Out into Input (Front) of the amp.  ...Does this look correct?  Thanks!

I hope this isnt a silly question guys, but I'm genuinely puzzled.  If all you want is an FX unit, why didn't you buy a HelixFX or similar, rather than an amp modelling unit with FX such as Pod Go, when you clearly dont want the amp and cab modelling? Particularly as you'd have far more fx combination options with HelixFX, whereas you're restricted to a maximum of 4 blocks with Pod Go.

If you wanted an expression pedal these are an inexpensive add on to HelixFX.  

So, why buy a Pod Go?

2 hours ago, JYD87 said:

So, my understanding to do this is: 1) Turn off the amp  blocks (pre and post amp) 2) Turn off the Sim/Cab block; 3) plug guitar into PG Guitar In; 4) From PG plug Amp Out into Input (Front) of the amp.  ...Does this look correct?  Thanks!

Yes, that’s correct to do what you want. All FX from the POD Go will be applied before the amp input. No splitting of FX pre/post amp.

However, this is a good question.....

35 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

So, why buy a Pod Go?

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

Yes, that’s correct to do what you want. All FX from the POD Go will be applied before the amp input. No splitting of FX pre/post amp.

However, this is a good question.....

2 hours ago, voxman55 said:

I hope this isnt a silly question guys, but I'm genuinely puzzled.  If all you want is an FX unit, why didn't you buy a HelixFX or similar, rather than an amp modelling unit with FX such as Pod Go, when you clearly dont want the amp and cab modelling? Particularly as you'd have far more fx combination options with HelixFX, whereas you're restricted to a maximum of 4 blocks with Pod Go.

If you wanted an expression pedal these are an inexpensive add on to HelixFX.  

So, why buy a Pod Go?

Yeah, thanks for info.  So why PodGo:  1) I may use it as my live rig one day instead of real amps and pedals; I would start small with the PodGo as I like a simple setup and have no desire to go crazy with dual rigs, etc.. 2) I want to trial it at home as my 'easy rig' to plug in front of my at home practice amps without dragging out my huge Friedman Pedalboard.  So in this sense, it acts as my 'pedalboard' with wah, chorus, delay, flanger, OD/TS, etc.  

14 hours ago, JYD87 said:

Yeah, thanks for info.  So why PodGo:  1) I may use it as my live rig one day instead of real amps and pedals; I would start small with the PodGo as I like a simple setup and have no desire to go crazy with dual rigs, etc.. 2) I want to trial it at home as my 'easy rig' to plug in front of my at home practice amps without dragging out my huge Friedman Pedalboard.  So in this sense, it acts as my 'pedalboard' with wah, chorus, delay, flanger, OD/TS, etc.  

Thanks for letting us know more about your context and intentions. That helps us provide better commentary.

2) You certainly can use the POD Go in this manner. We just wanted to make sure you understand that there is  actually a better product for this purpose - the HX FX. If this were your sole intention you would be wasting $$ buying POD Go features that you won’t use (amps, cabs).

1) If you are using this setup as a trial to help you determine if and when you should use it as your live rig one day I think you may doing yourself a disservice. Your conclusions will be based on a setup that you won’t actually be using. If you do want to use the POD Go someday instead of real amps and pedals you won’t be running it through a real amp. You will want to set it up to be used with PA speakers or studio monitors, which will deliver a very different sound than your guitar amp. It would be a shame to find yourself disappointed with the sound quality of your current setup and decide that the POD Go is not for you. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:43 AM, silverhead said:

Thanks for letting us know more about your context and intentions. That helps us provide better commentary.

2) You certainly can use the POD Go in this manner. We just wanted to make sure you understand that there is  actually a better product for this purpose - the HX FX. If this were your sole intention you would be wasting $$ buying POD Go features that you won’t use (amps, cabs).

1) If you are using this setup as a trial to help you determine if and when you should use it as your live rig one day I think you may doing yourself a disservice. Your conclusions will be based on a setup that you won’t actually be using. If you do want to use the POD Go someday instead of real amps and pedals you won’t be running it through a real amp. You will want to set it up to be used with PA speakers or studio monitors, which will deliver a very different sound than your guitar amp. It would be a shame to find yourself disappointed with the sound quality of your current setup and decide that the POD Go is not for you. 

Thanks for the follow-up!  Yes, I agree with you on 1) above regarding how I would use it live.  But I never intended to run it live the way I am talking about at home first.  My live setup would be Pod Go through a Power Amp (not a typical amp, and perhaps the KSR PA50) and Real Cab mic'd or Direct to the FOH.  My buddy had a Pod Go and we played around on it a month ago.  We played it through a Mackie Thump cab and it was a bit different from what I was used to, but I really enjoyed the simplicity of it and saw the possibilities.   

Thanks again for all the help and thoughts around my application.  I'll come back here for sure when I get one as I'm a total newb in the modeler world.  Cheers!

• 1 year later...