Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Cab's for Clean and Light/Mid Distortion

adam79

I'm new to Helix Native and I'm looking for some IR recommendations. I play clean or with light/mid distortion. Trying to be original, maybe the guitars are close to Pixies sound...the more airy, ethereal stuff they got.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Pretty much any would likely do the trick as cabinets aren't designed specifically for clean/dirty...although some do better with cleans than others.  Vox and Fender cabinets come to mind in that regard as do Hiwatt Fane speakers as well as JC120 Roland 12s.

• Like 1

Yea, Fender, Roland would be choices... but don't forget, some amazing cleans come out of mesa boogie gear too.....

Interestingly enough, yamaha cabs are not famous at all, and I think that's pretty fair.  Back in the 80s my high school owned a fender twin and yamaha solid state twin - the yamaha twin had terrible, harsh tone... didn't sound good on guitar AT ALL.  I'm talking clean tone... won't even get into it's overdrive.

Although I've played through some old yamaha bass amps that I really liked (on bass, mind you).

For truly clean, you can also go without a cab, depending on the tone you're going for.  It's free to try, in case you like that...

... but without any cab it's unlikely your tone would sound good with even any overdrive added, unless you have a strong high cut (Treble turned way down) built into the overdrive effect so when it switches on, it sort of has a built-in cheapo fake cab EQ..., but when you switch off the OD effect, the tone goes back to clean without treble cut.

You can do things with this you can't do with real gear without spending a gazillion dollars - like have one amp that goes to 2 paths... switch between them with a button....one path with a cab for OD, and a second path with a cab (or no cab) for totally clean...