Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Do I always need to factory reset after a firmware update?

wilssantos

Hi folks,

I bought my Helix in 2017 and despite playing with it for a while, I had to move countries and it had been sleeping in my office for a long time now. Yesterday I decided to pick it up again and do some playing/recording. Its firmware was version 2.21 then and I upgraded it to 2.92 using the latest Helix Edit app.

It all went well, but I'm surprised it went "too well", actually: the instructions mentioned my user presets would be erased during the upgrade, but they didn't! I can still find and use them after the upgrade, which included the big overhaul from version 2.80. The fact that I could already find those presets held me back from importing my backup after the upgrade.

So the question is: should I factory reset the Helix after the update, and THEN import the backup? By doing so, is there a risk of the new factory presets of the current firmware be replaced by the old ones of the backup, or only my user presets will be reapplied?

By the way, my old "Helix" app is still there lingering on my PC alongside the new "Helix Edit" app. Can I safely uninstall the "Helix" app and only use the "Helix Edit" app from now on? And if I do need to factory reset, can I confirm that it's by turning it on while pressing switches 9 and 10?

Sorry if all of this is repeated, but I couldn't find a direct answer to these questions because I'm a noob. Best regards to all.

4 hours ago, wilssantos said:

Hi folks,

I bought my Helix in 2017 and despite playing with it for a while, I had to move countries and it had been sleeping in my office for a long time now. Yesterday I decided to pick it up again and do some playing/recording. Its firmware was version 2.21 then and I upgraded it to 2.92 using the latest Helix Edit app.

It all went well, but I'm surprised it went "too well", actually: the instructions mentioned my user presets would be erased during the upgrade, but they didn't! I can still find and use them after the upgrade, which included the big overhaul from version 2.80. The fact that I could already find those presets held me back from importing my backup after the upgrade.

So the question is: should I factory reset the Helix after the update, and THEN import the backup? By doing so, is there a risk of the new factory presets of the current firmware be replaced by the old ones of the backup, or only my user presets will be reapplied?

By the way, my old "Helix" app is still there lingering on my PC alongside the new "Helix Edit" app. Can I safely uninstall the "Helix" app and only use the "Helix Edit" app from now on? And if I do need to factory reset, can I confirm that it's by turning it on while pressing switches 9 and 10?

Sorry if all of this is repeated, but I couldn't find a direct answer to these questions because I'm a noob. Best regards to all.

Should you do a global reset after the update? Good question! The update notes do not require it for the 2.92 firmware, so at least according to Line6 the answer is "no". You do however need to do a backup and restore according to the 2.92 notes.  Note: Phil_m a more than reliable source stated that he believed that the backup and restore was probably only required for the global settings which apparently could sometimes get wonky without this step performed after the 2.92 update. I did a full restore myself including my setlists, taking the Line6 update notes literally.

In past updates the only way you could get the latest Factory and Template setlists was to do a global reset and then restore only your User setlists by unchecking the Factory and Template setlists in the "Restore From Backup" dialog. Yup, that option is in there although you may have to expand the setlists directory in the "Restore From Backup" dialog window to see it. I don't know if there is anything new in the  2.92 Factory and Template presets but if it there is, unless the new update process did it for you automatically, and that would be new to the process, I would imagine you would have to follow the old reset and restore procedure to get the latest and greatest.  Not sure what if anything may have changed in the old process since the firmware update procedure switched over to working semi-automatically from within HX Edit rather than being done from the Updater.

I don't believe HX Edit is updating itself to the latest version that matches the firmware, which you can now update directly from within HX Edit. Personally I downloaded and installed the "HX Edit 2.92" bundle manually just to be sure. At some point in the update process renovations hopefully HX Edit will update itself and the firmware, perhaps simultaneously along with Native, and become a fully mature install process.

Yes you should and can safely uninstall the "Helix" app.  If anything goes wrong just reinstall "HX Edit 2.92".

Here is the link for the Helix reset options:    https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/reset-options.html#helix-floor-lt

• Thanks 1

You don't need to do the factory reset, but doing the Restore from Backup is actually listed as part of the update instruction now. I think it's just to get the Global Settings back to what they were before updating, as mentioned above. I actually usually do a factory reset after updating and then do a Restore from Backup for everything, though. It doesn't take much more time, and I figure it's good to just clear the cobwebs out.

• Thanks 1