Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware version with the shipped devices?

Hollowman_d1

Hello guys

My local distributor claims the Helix LT was shipped in 2020 but it was found that 2.30 firmware is installed. Please, share information about which version of the firmware was installed at the time of purchase.

How to update such device to the latest 2.92 version? Are there some recommendations for the process or not?

There’s multiple chains of distribution involved, so the guy you’re talking to could still be correct.  As far as updating, just follow the instructions here (wherever it says 2.90, just substitute 2.92). 

48 minutes ago, phil_m said:

There’s multiple chains of distribution involved, so the guy you’re talking to could still be correct.  As far as updating, just follow the instructions here (wherever it says 2.90, just substitute 2.92). 

Thank you.

The problem is the new device was given to me according the Line 6 service procedure. The expression pedal of my Helix LT bought in 2017 was broken after two weeks of hard use. That was considered as the factory defect and my local distributor just replaced the device with a new one. Just finding the 2.30 firmware from 2017 in a device shipped in summer 2020 brought some doubts... Will it be a device from the defective product batch again??? Will I come with the same problem in two weeks again???

19 minutes ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

Thank you.

The problem is the new device was given to me according the Line 6 service procedure. The expression pedal of my Helix LT bought in 2017 was broken after two weeks of hard use. That was considered as the factory defect and my local distributor just replaced the device with a new one. Just finding the 2.30 firmware from 2017 in a device shipped in summer 2020 brought some doubts... Will it be a device from the defective product batch again??? Will I come with the same problem in two weeks again???

Most likely you'll be fine. The problem with the expression pedals on the LT affected a couple early batches, but it wasn't uniform across those batches. There were like 2 out of 12 metal stamping machines that were producing defective housings, and those were fed into the overall housing stockpile. So that's why they really don't have a way to track potentially defective units. I believe the first firmware that was shipped with the LTs was 2.20, anyway.

47 minutes ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

Thank you.

2.30? 2017? I got mine in Jan 2018 and it came with v2.10.

2 hours ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

Just finding the 2.30 firmware from 2017 in a device shipped in summer 2020 brought some doubts... Will it be a device from the defective product batch again??? Will I come with the same problem in two weeks again???

You don't actually have a problem yet... you're just anticipating one...and there's no possible way for anyone to predict whether or not the pedal is going to break. Even if it does, it will be covered under warranty, so it's a moot point. Just use the thing and don't lose any sleep over it, because there's nothing preemptive that you can do anyway. It'll either break or it won't.

As for the firmware... just because you buy something today, doesn't mean that it hasn't been sitting around in somebody's stockroom or warehouse for 3 years. That's retail... it happens all the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

You don't actually have a problem yet... you're just anticipating one...and there's no way for anyone to predict whether or not the pedal is going to break. Regardless, it will be covered under warranty if it does. Just use the thing, and don't lose any sleep over it... there's nothing preemptive that you can do anyway. It'll either break or it won't.

As for the firmware... just because you buy something today, doesn't mean that it hasn't been sitting around in somebody's stockroom or warehouse for 3 years. That's retail... it happens all the time.

The problem is that the returned device was bought in November 2017  and out of warranty. Frankly saying I was really impressed with the loyalty level addressed to a regular end-user whose device is in use for more than 3 years. Really thanks to the Line 6 support team that agreed to change the 3 yo device for a new one without any penny from my pocket. At the same time I was paralysed for about 45 days with the broken device and ruined plans. But I'd rather prefer to be sure that  the new device was really from the latest batches than expect any troubles being on tour in a couple of weeks.                        

50 minutes ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

But I'd rather prefer to be sure that  the new device was really from the latest batches than expect any troubles being on tour in a couple of weeks.                        

What have with the other unit is irrelevant. You purchased a new product. It is under warranty, period.

We can talk in circles all day, and you won't get any closer to an answer. There is no way to tell when the thing was made based solely on the firmware version that was on it when you opened the box... it's a useless indicator for a number of reasons. All anybody can do is guess. Line 6 can probably date the thing based on the serial#, but whatever that formula is, it's not public knowledge. You can pursue this with the company directly if you want, and they may or may not choose to share that info with you...I have no idea what they'll say. But either way, with the limited info you currently have, you might as well be asking a Magic 8-Ball.

23 minutes ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

The problem is that the returned device was bought in November 2017  and out of warranty. Frankly saying I was really impressed with the loyalty level addressed to a regular end-user whose device is in use for more than 3 years. Really thanks to the Line 6 support team that agreed to change the 3 yo device for a new one without any penny from my pocket. At the same time I was paralysed for about 45 days with the broken device and ruined plans. But I'd rather prefer to be sure that  the new device was really from the latest batches than expect any troubles being on tour in a couple of weeks.                        

As has been stated before, there is no possible way of knowing it will go bad.  Therefore if you want to be SURE then upgrade it to the Helix floor which has had zero defects on the pedal.  That's the only option I know of.  And quite frankly if you're on "tour" you need the more robust enclosure of the Helix floor anyway.  I would never tour with an LT.  It's just too lightweight as far as construction.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

But I'd rather prefer to be sure that  the new device was really from the latest batches than expect any troubles being on tour in a couple of weeks.                        

Slightly off topic, but where in the world do you live that TOURS are taking place?

I've been doing a few gigs here and there, but certainly no tours!

21 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I would never tour with an LT.  It's just too lightweight as far as construction.

FWIW... I have no problems with my LT on tours.... it's not exactly a piece of plastic :) 

20 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

What have with the other unit is irrelevant. You purchased a new product. It is under warranty, period.

We can talk in circles all day, and you won't get any closer to an answer. There is no way to tell when the thing was made based solely on the firmware version that was on it when you opened the box... it's a useless indicator for a number of reasons. All anybody can do is guess. Line 6 can probably date the thing based on the serial#, but whatever that formula is, it's not public knowledge. You can pursue this with the company directly if you want, and they may or may not choose to share that info with you...I have no idea what they'll say. But either way, with the limited info you currently have, nobody here can address your concerns in any meaningful way.

Sorry, but it's some misunderstanding)) I'm sure it's not possible to obtain when and where the next breakage happens. Just I'm talking about the local distributor decency promising the new device is really new and not from those that are considered lost somewhere in warehouse since 2017... That is a question of this topic. I just supposed there is some connection regarding the manufacture date and version of the firmware installed. Just nothing else))                 

27 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Slightly off topic, but where in the world do you live that TOURS are starting up in a couple of weeks? 

I've been doing a few gigs here and there, but certainly no tours!

i guess the ''tour'' sounds too laud for the 2-week local towns trip))

1 hour ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

Please, share the information regarding the date of purchase and the firmware version installed on the out of the box device.

You should probably heed the feedback above from four or more of the most experienced commenters on this site and move on, along with upgrading to Helix Floor.

2 hours ago, Hollowman_d1 said:

Please, share the information regarding the date of purchase and the firmware version installed on the out of the box device.     

Let me share this information with you.

You seem to be making a big fuss about this as you have already posted this a couple of days back:

Plus, various contributors have already stated that it does not matter when your Helix LT was manufactured, or how long it has been on a shelf in a distribution warehouse. The thing that matters is the date of purchase - this is when your warranty period begins.

I refer you to the post by “codamedia”, in this thread (below) from December 2018, about warranty.

”codamedia” has also replied in this thread about your major “tour”, but must have forgotten about the earlier “Warranty” comment.

I hope this helps and finally makes sense.

On 7/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, Hollowman_d1 said:

Dude... you're fixated on useless information that can't help you. The firmware version reveals NOTHING about the date of manufacture, and neither one has anything to do with your warranty. I couldn't tell you what firmware came with mine if my life depended on it...I haven't a clue. That's how little it matters. And even if I could remember, it wouldn't help you accurately date your unit...repeatedly asking the same question won't magically transform the answer into relevant information, no matter how much you want it to be.

As I said before, the only way you'll ever get an answer is by going directly to the company and begging them to tell you the manufacturing date based on the serial number. But in the end, it doesn't matter anyway. If something breaks you are covered under warranty, because you bought a new, unused product. How long that unit may have aged on a shelf before you took it home has no affect on warranty protections. All that matters is having a receipt, and the purchase date.