Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noob starting small home studio

marcofurtado

Hey guys! 

Hope you are safe during these times!

I'm just starting to explore this new side of music (playing with digital workstations) and I have a couple of questions. Bear in mind that I have ZERO experience in this and most of the questions are very basic.

I have my Helix LT connected to 2 JBL 305 in my bedroom. Until last week, I would only connect the Helix to my Desktop via UBS to play around with the Helix Editor but a couple of days ago I stumbled upon a video talking about DAWs and I eventually tried Reaper (still on the trial version).

From what I read and watched, you can integrate Helix Native with the Reaper via VST. That way you can play with all the cabs, effects and change them on the fly while using the reaper.

With that being said, here are my noob questions:

- Do you think that buying the Native is necessary? To be honest I have no idea if having the Helix LT, Native and a DAW is a normal thing or a superfluous buy. 

- Should I also add an external interface to my signal chain or the Helix is good enough as and interface?

What I really want from this all experience is not only to learn more about this different side of music, but also to enhance the quality of my videos when I'm playing along with my guitar to a specific song...

Thanks for your time!

Take care

Marco

A key question is, will you also want to record vocal or acoustic guitar tracks? If so, you'll need a decent audio interface with microphone inputs. They normally also contain a guitar input(s).

If you only want to record electric guitar, your Helix LT can be used as your audio interface (as well as your amp modeler with effects for recording). That (and a DAW like Reaper) is really all you'll need.

But .... I you think you'll be recording a lot with your DAW, having Helix Native as a plug-in (VST) in the DAW is very handy, and frees up your hardware unit for gigging or practicing. Its up to you if you want the extra expense of Helix Native, because the Helix LT can be used to give you electric guitar tracks that will sound identical to Helix Native.

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:59 AM, soundog said:

A key question is

Re: post above from dawiodjoopkk12.

soundog -  the key question is who is this guy?

There is something weird about the post from the guy above. If you check the profile there are some odd things where in a post, his is a direct copy of the a post above his in a prior post - almost a direct copy. Plus, some of the posts have strange links in the bottom of the posts. It’s like a bot is posting this stuff because none of it makes any sense. Comments that seem totally random are being made in response to stuff that is unrelated. 

Weird scenes in the gold mine.

Wow, datacommando — I see what you mean! Very weird. I  just read his other posts. I wonder if those little links at the bottoms of his posts (different in each post, and hidden by using small, light-colored fonts) give him some kind of cash flow? Like 0.00001 cent per post. So now he's some rich kid living in a mansion at the edge of the sea somewhere ... laughing at us and drinking Mai Tai's. If so, I feel used.

1 hour ago, soundog said:

So now he's some rich kid living in a mansion at the edge of the sea somewhere ... laughing at us and drinking Mai Tai's.

Ha, ha, ha. More likely some poor Indian kid with no shoes.

I didn’t delve too deep, but I think it’s some sort of oddball hack thing based on the Indian sub continent. There are little sweatshops of the little devils sending out ransom ware and other noxious stuff.

I love it when they phone my land line to tell me my MicroSoft Windows computer is infected with a virus and should give them access to everything and then pay them to fix it. Yeah, right. I like to tell them that, as I don’t own a MS computer, I’m only continuing to speak with them while the Feds trace the call. They hang up real quick after that. Another good one to spring on ”cold callers” is, pick up the phone and immediately say in a heavy voice, “It’s done, but there is blood everywhere!”, then hang up - they never ring back.

Anyhow, this one seems somewhat similar to when people have their email compromised by Russian “bots” and then start sending out spam. Damn sure, this dude won’t make anything out of me - because I don’t have anything.   ;-)

Stay safe - who was that masked man?