Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit without audio drivers

actdmusic

Hello 

Is it possible to use the HX Edit without installing the audio (asio) drivers of Helix? If so, how? 

I'm asking because I just made a big update to my studio and went ahead and formated the PC having now a clean windows install. In the past one of the problems I had was to many interfaces installed that started to conflict. In this install I want to have the overall bare minimum installed. I like to use HX Edit to edit patches. But I never use the asio from the Helix... 

That's a shame... Really wanted to do that. 

I really don't understand why it's not possible... Line6 would probably very easily make a driver just for the control part of the Helix without the audio. 

Well I guess I'll go to idea scale and request it

3 minutes ago, actdmusic said:

That's a shame... Really wanted to do that. 

I really don't understand why it's not possible... Line6 would probably very easily make a driver just for the control part of the Helix without the audio. 

Well I guess I'll go to idea scale and request it

And I really don’t understand why you would even think it should be possible?

HX Edit software is simply a remote control system that communicates with the brain inside the hardware. It enables users to modify set lists and presets without having to crawl around on the floor. The drivers need to be there to hook up over USB.

Without being able to listen to the audio signal you would achieve absolutely nothing and probably totally screw up the patches- unless you are psychic!

If you think that it would be easy to “make a driver just for the control part of the Helix without the audio.” I think you are mistaken. There has been much discussion of Line 6 drivers and RTL recently on these forums, which would be more likely to take priority over your strange idea of one with “no audio”, because it would serve no purpose whatsoever. As it is - if you don’t want to hear the audio, simply turn down the volume.

Furthermore, in your OP, you say: - “I like to use HX Edit to edit patches. But I never use the asio from the Helix... ”. Uh? Well, keep on doing what you were doing. If not, just install the necessary drivers and enjoy your new studio rig.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Nop, it does not make sense. 

I have my helix plugged to my studio desk through the Analog outs. And I have the power cab! I can listen on my studio monitors, headphones or Powercab while editing. My mixer goes then to a good audio interface sometimes passing through some great Analog gear if I so choose... Heck, I can even monitor the helix passing through nice Analog comps, eqs and preamps if I want. 

Like I said, my studio PC is a critical machine. In the past I've installed several USB drivers that were not absolutely necessary for everyday work and I got some conflicts that resulted in audio artifacts. That lead to 2 days of solving problems instead of working... 

Understand me now? 

18 minutes ago, actdmusic said:

Like I said, my studio PC is a critical machine. In the past I've installed several USB drivers that were not absolutely necessary for everyday work and I got some conflicts that resulted in audio artifacts. That lead to 2 days of solving problems instead of working... 

I can understand this... but I don't believe the Helix AUDIO drivers will cause you any grief. The only time I have seen problems like you describe are when unwanted peripheral drivers build up (disks, printers, scanners, camera's, etc... etc..), never an audio driver. Having an audio driver installed just allows you to "use it if you want to".... when you don't use it, it should stay out of your way.

IME... the Helix audio driver stays out of the way! 

I don’t think the Helix drivers will cause an issue. Altogether, I probably have drivers for 10 or so different audio interfaces (most of them Line 6 devices, but not all) installed on my Windows 10 machine, and I’ve never had an issue. It always seems that the drivers the end up causing problems are for things like wireless mice and keyboards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, actdmusic said:

Understand me now? 

Ah, now it starts to make a little more sense, but you didn't mention any of that stuff in the original post. That's what made it seem very strange to me that you wanted to be able to edit Helix without having the driver to communicate with it.

I use a Mac and the analogue link is not an issue for me because, apart from the guitar signal in and the speaker audio out, everything stays in the digital world.

Try the Line 6 driver and don't worry so much.

6 hours ago, actdmusic said:

my studio PC is a critical machine

I get that and also keep a PC as clean as possible based on experience and all those things that are supposed to play well together but sometimes don't.

Have you considered imaging software and/or dual booting?  Keep one utility image/drive that has all the drivers on it and keep the other clean? 

13 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

I get that and also keep a PC as clean as possible based on experience and all those things that are supposed to play well together but sometimes don't.

Have you considered imaging software and/or dual booting?  Keep one utility image/drive that has all the drivers on it and keep the other clean? 

It's an idea... 

But I like to keep HX Edit open while I record guitar. That way I can easily tweek the patch as needed during the recording session... 

Anyway, I've been entertaining the idea of getting another machine. Something simple and cheap just for this kind of stuff and having OBS installed to live streaming and recording video. Maybe a small net book or something. An idea would be having that net book to the side just running HX Edit while the main studio PC is running the studio session.

5 hours ago, actdmusic said:

But I like to keep HX Edit open while I record guitar. That way I can easily tweek the patch as needed during the recording session... 

In that case it may be better to consider buying Helix Native - all the identical sounds of Helix hardware available and a GUI with the look and feel of HX Edit. :-)

On 7/23/2020 at 9:30 AM, actdmusic said:

An idea would be having that net book to the side just running HX Edit while the main studio PC is running the studio session.

This is exacly what i do , not for same reason, but with same way: 1: my  linux machine can't run HX EDIT, so it is running on a spare laptop. For my part , i found that your question  make absolutely sense. Sorry for other , but driver CAN cause trouble,if not, this is luck.2: , running, like one said above, a better interface make sens also.Just a info : i run 2,69 MS Latency on my Linux machine and bitwig with a NAIVE INSTRUMENT  Interface.  Windows will NEVER make it so low. so , there is a primary reason why not using  ASIO on a low budget  build- in interface.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, Den77 said:

Just a info : i run 2,69 MS Latency on my Linux machine and bitwig with a NAIVE INSTRUMENT  Interface.  Windows will NEVER make it so low. so , there is a primary reason why not using  ASIO on a low budget  build- in interface.

Why does the Linux machine get an NI interface while having its latency compared to a Windows machine with a "built in" interface? 

FYI.... I don't have any issues with latency on my aging Windows 10 i5 machine.... but of course, I do not use a budget "built in" interface.