Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I record my guitar and a spotify playback at the same time through Helix?

wilssantos

Hi, thanks for previous answers (by the way, it's funny how I can only create new topics through the phone, not the PC...). I have a final doubt that I've not been finding.

My idea is to record some videos while I play along to some songs. So I wanted to record the playback from, say, Spotify (on the pc), alongside my guitar recording (while my phone does the video recording, separately). Is there any way I can do it? If I set my Helix LT as the PC monitor, I can hear everything and play along without a problem, but I know that only happens because my output is set to USB 1/2. I'm afraid I can't use USB 1/2 as inputs on another line to, say, output it through USB 3/4 and use that as an input to reaper because 1) I can't select USB 1/2 as inputs; and 2) that would  ause the guitar and all other sounds from PC to record on loop...

So, is there a way to record playback from spotify AND my guitar at the same time through Helix? I'm using Reaper. Thank you!

5 hours ago, wilssantos said:

Hi, thanks for previous answers (by the way, it's funny how I can only create new topics through the phone, not the PC...). I have a final doubt that I've not been finding.

My idea is to record some videos while I play along to some songs. So I wanted to record the playback from, say, Spotify (on the pc), alongside my guitar recording (while my phone does the video recording, separately). Is there any way I can do it? If I set my Helix LT as the PC monitor, I can hear everything and play along without a problem, but I know that only happens because my output is set to USB 1/2. I'm afraid I can't use USB 1/2 as inputs on another line to, say, output it through USB 3/4 and use that as an input to reaper because 1) I can't select USB 1/2 as inputs; and 2) that would  ause the guitar and all other sounds from PC to record on loop...

So, is there a way to record playback from spotify AND my guitar at the same time through Helix? I'm using Reaper. Thank you!

Hi,

First thing is, if you want to do this, avoid the idea of streaming audio from “Sploshify” (sic).

All you have to do is load the required audio file (aiff, was, MP3) of your backing track or whatever it is into your DAW. Then using your Helix as the Computer interface (soundcard) - your treated guitar signal will come in on USB 1&2 and the entire backing and guitar is sent out on USB 1&2. You could also set another mono track to record from USB 7 that will be a dry version of the guitar that you can then re-amp if you wish.

That is the “bare bones” basics - try it and see how you get on.

• Thanks 1

I found out that something even more simple works perfectly well: I just used a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged the Helix's 1/4" out directly into my dslr camera (I think the phone could work too), while I monitored from the headphones. So the camera could "hear" everything I was also hearing, song playback included, with the upside that I didn't need to sync audio and video afterwards!

• Upvote 1