Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

It's not a tunah.....anymore!! Ugh, help please

themetallikid

At the risk of getting yelled at for not using the search function....my tuner just stopped working.  I dont want to search 'tuner issues' as i'll get 500 threads and I honestly dont have the time to sift through them. 

Saturday, mid show, guitar change my tuner just stopped working.  It was either severly 5-6 seconds after I struck a note, or not responding at all.  I thought it was my wireless, swapped batteries, changed back to my E guitar (was trying to change to Eb)....still nothing...finally I left the stage, grabbed a 1/4" from the next acts bass player (thank god!!) and plugged it in....still nothing...

All my presets worked fine, it seems linked to the tuner only.  

Fast Forward to last night...I spent about an hour restringing my 4 guitars for the 4 shows I have over 2 days this weekend and all tuned great...I'd never have known there was an issue.  I just tried swapping guitars again to hit the Eb stuff (coincidence there I think) and again, unresponsive.  Tried different presets in case something weird was going on there....no luck.  Tried different tuner settings as I had music coming in on USB (never been an issue before), changed the tuner input to Guitar only...and still nothing.  Even just a cable attached and touching the cable end doesnt give me some sort of buzzing frequency note.  

Disappointing, especially in front of 300 people at the show it first happened.  I'm about to go buy one of those headstock tuners quick as a backup...but any ideas what could be wrong? I'm not sure I have the time to back up/restore from a reboot of the software......but if I have to i can do that.  

Hi, please make sure you report this as a bug to Line 6. You're not the first one to report this, even on firmware 2.92. (Is that the firmware you're using?) If they aren't aware, it won't get fixed; and if they get the report from many, it'll get a higher priority. Here's a direct link to submit a ticket, only takes a couple minutes: https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce it (it might be triggered by certain presets on your Helix), that will be hugely helpful in getting them to fix it.

FWIW, firmware 2.90 and 2.91 added the new meters for input, output, and compression, but there was some kind of bug introduced that would make the meters and tuner lag. In 2.92, they improved it somehow, but under certain conditions the metering lag still happens. I found a way to reliably reproduce this in minutes and submitted it to them, and they've confirmed awareness, but I'm not sure if they know the tuner still has issues too.

In the case of the lagging output meters, I can trigger it by changing to certain presets after Helix is powered on for a while. If I stay on the same preset it booted into, it's fine, but once I trigger it by going to another preset, the lag quickly grows over about a 60 second interval and remains until a reboot. At first it appeared that a full factory reset fixed it, but I've proven that to not be true.

Here's another recent post with the same issue: 

• Upvote 1

Hi Metallikid,

I had the same issue on 2.92 (tuner having a lag of several seconds), and when it happened I also had a backing track coming through USB. Reboot solves it, but it will happen again. I opened a ticket and Line6 suggested an FS9/FS10 reset. I did that and that worked for me until now.

As a side note, I had a TC polytune pedal and put it on the pedalboard I keep next to Helix. I like the fact that I do not need to keep the footswitch pressed in order to engage the tuner. I often use the tuner to mute the guitar, and it is handy to do it with a quick press.

9 hours ago, themetallikid said:

... any ideas what could be wrong?

The tuner is part of global settings...

IMO it cannot hurt to take notes (or pictures) of all your global settings, then do a global setting reset. 

IME, this will reset...

• Everything under the global setting menu
  • The global EQ settings/state
  • The tuner settings
  • The variax input settings (if you use a Variax)... Most variax settings are retained in each preset, but mixed in with those is one or two global settings that need to be changed... just once. 

Set all of those manually rather than importing an old set of globals.... it really doesn't take too long. 

(NOTE: It's always a good idea to backup your entire Helix prior to doing a global setting update, just in case you push the wrong footswtiches during startup. Yes, words of experience - LOL)

10 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Disappointing, especially in front of 300 people at the show it first happened.  I'm about to go buy one of those headstock tuners quick as a backup...but any ideas what could be wrong? I'm not sure I have the time to back up/restore from a reboot of the software......but if I have to i can do that.  

This has nothing to do with your problem... but just for my own morbid curiosity, where are you that the local constabulary is allowing gatherings of hundreds of people mid-pandemic? At this point, I just vaguely remember gigging... lol

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, qwerty42 said:

Hi, please make sure you report this as a bug to Line 6. You're not the first one to report this, even on firmware 2.92. (Is that the firmware you're using?) If they aren't aware, it won't get fixed; and if they get the report from many, it'll get a higher priority. Here's a direct link to submit a ticket, only takes a couple minutes: https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce it (it might be triggered by certain presets on your Helix), that will be hugely helpful in getting them to fix it.

FWIW, firmware 2.90 and 2.91 added the new meters for input, output, and compression, but there was some kind of bug introduced that would make the meters and tuner lag. In 2.92, they improved it somehow, but under certain conditions the metering lag still happens. I found a way to reliably reproduce this in minutes and submitted it to them, and they've confirmed awareness, but I'm not sure if they know the tuner still has issues too.

In the case of the lagging output meters, I can trigger it by changing to certain presets after Helix is powered on for a while. If I stay on the same preset it booted into, it's fine, but once I trigger it by going to another preset, the lag quickly grows over about a 60 second interval and remains until a reboot. At first it appeared that a full factory reset fixed it, but I've proven that to not be true.

Will do, I'm on 2.92, i've had no issues since the update (I updated quickly upon release).  All of my presets are built off the same 8 core tones, and then just copied over.  The ones I'm working off of when it happened are the same ones essentially i've been using for the last 3 months with no issues....but I'll see if its pertaining to one particular preset.  

5 hours ago, emagli said:

Hi Metallikid,

I had the same issue on 2.92 (tuner having a lag of several seconds), and when it happened I also had a backing track coming through USB. Reboot solves it, but it will happen again. I opened a ticket and Line6 suggested an FS9/FS10 reset. I did that and that worked for me until now.

As a side note, I had a TC polytune pedal and put it on the pedalboard I keep next to Helix. I like the fact that I do not need to keep the footswitch pressed in order to engage the tuner. I often use the tuner to mute the guitar, and it is handy to do it with a quick press.

Yeah I may have to pick up a small tuner to keep as a backup, probably would have already if my acoustic didnt have one built in to the preamp.  Time to research on a slow work day before the weekend.  

13 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

This has nothing to do with your problem... but just for my own morbid curiosity, where are you that the local constabulary is allowing gatherings of hundreds of people mid-pandemic? At this point, I just vaguely remember gigging... lol

I'm located near Green Bay, Wisconsin.  They do have limits on gatherings here, however, the venue we were in is quite large.  Even 200 place still leaves quite a bit of room between people in relation to their capacity.  300 was probably an overestimate honestly, it was probably closer to 150 this past night.....man, there was no more lonely feeling than being the lead singer/Lead guitar player and having to stop the whole show to trouble shoot...sure felt like 300 though.  They were mostly cool about it and I was able to tune by ear, over the PA, at least they were patient and understanding and we finished the last 3 songs we had.  But, i'll never forget that feeling again....

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:48 PM, qwerty42 said:

qwerty42

Looks like I got the bug (achoo)

https://line6.com/support/topic/57325-output-meter-strange-occurance-during-patch-creation-and-modification/

Dennis

On 7/22/2020 at 8:03 AM, themetallikid said:

I'm located near Green Bay, Wisconsin.  They do have limits on gatherings here, however, the venue we were in is quite large.  

Mind if I ask what venue? I'm Wisco based and my drummer is starting to get ants in his pants about playing shows, but we're in Dane county and there is nothing happening around here.

• Like 1

The venue we were at for this has a back room that they do larger events.  It's Maloney's in Kaukauna (used to be called JJ Maloneys).  Norm's a great guy up here.  What kinda music you do?  He might be willing to do a dual ticket with someone.  Im sure I could scrounge up the guys for something.  And I know another venue in GB that provides FOH and pays % of the cut, she'd be interested more than likely if I dropped a word.  I'll PM you my email.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 1:46 PM, themetallikid said:

It's Maloney's in Kaukauna

Prime Rib Saturday!  Walleye Sandwich!  Looks like a fun place. Wish I was nearby, just for a visit.  That's pretty far up there. My brother lives in Milwaukee.  I went there once in January when I was living in South Dakota.  The cold on Lake Michigan made me yearn for South Dakota.

On 9/5/2020 at 2:46 PM, themetallikid said:

The venue we were at for this has a back room that they do larger events.  It's Maloney's in Kaukauna (used to be called JJ Maloneys).  Norm's a great guy up here.  What kinda music you do?  He might be willing to do a dual ticket with someone.  Im sure I could scrounge up the guys for something.  And I know another venue in GB that provides FOH and pays % of the cut, she'd be interested more than likely if I dropped a word.  I'll PM you my email.

Sounds like more of an "event" band thing than what we do. We're all-originals instrumental-post-mathcore band that usually plays ~ 30 minute sets with 3-4 other bands on a bill.