Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go calibrate expression pedal?

philmandoo

Hi

Been enjoying my Pod Go - I use a second expression pedal when playing live to control the depth and feedback of delays. Is there any way to calibrate the expression pedal? Mine is a Line 6 pedal but it doesn't go all the way "off" if you know what  mean?

I can't find any info on this anywhere.

Cheers

Phil

I Phil, 

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you are using the Line 6 EX1 Expression pedal which does not have a 'Toe Switch' like the built in expression pedal on POD Go, thus not being able to turn off. It sounds like you would like the ability to turn off the control from the EX1 expression pedal. 

To do this with your current settings; Select the delay block > press Page Right/Page Left > select Knob 1 (Bypass/Control) > use Knob 2 to select EXP1 or 2 (opposite of currently used EXP on POD Go) 

You will now see Position at 5% on Knob 3 and a Wait time of 300ms on Knob 5. This means that when the expression pedal is at 5% or lower, it will Bypass the effect after 300ms. Although the current settings work great, feel free to move those parameters around for your playing style. Then press the home view button to return to the preset and save. 

In addition to this screen, you can also use Knob 1 to select other parameters within the effect block. For example, use Knob 1 to select 'Time' and set the minimum and maximum values for the expression pedal as well as the feedback; so now with the expression pedal moving from Heel to Toe, the Time and Feedback parameters can each shift to any specified setting.

Cheers!

Nick

Nick

Thanks for your reply - my issue is when I push the expression pedal all the way down when looking on the pod go editor it doesn't go to the down position but bottoms out at about 15%. Full forward is correct, but full back isn't all the way home. So if I set mix to 0% when all the way back the pedal never reaches 0, more like%.

So can I calibrate the pedal to establish the range that the Pod Go recognises or do I need to find an expression pedal with a pot on the side to tweak the range?
Cheers

Phil

Put the pedal fully down, then set the Pod Go level to 100% (if it's not already there), then ditto for the heel back position, set to 0% (or vice-a-versa if you prefer).  Then save the patch and it should give you the desired result.  If you want to set ranges between 0-100% you do the same thing but set the parameter each end to what you want - great for controlling eg amp or distortion gain eg 15% to 85% (you can even set this with or without a simultaneous volume drop via the expression pedal assignments).  

• 4 weeks later...

i could of swore that when i got my pod go it had a way to calibrate toe switch sensitivity i updated to new firmware today but i dont think that has anything to do with my problem . but i cant get my exp pedal value to 0 when heel down unless i press real hard i think i need to cut a little off the rubber bumper i dont know

the exp toe switch works fine my problem is with the heel bumper not going to zero value the rubber bumper randomly pushes my value back up to a random value between 15/21 but am i crazy in thinking that there is a expression pedal calibration menue?

i think that you use to be able to hold navigation right button while powering on the unit and that would bring you to diffrent menues one being expression pedal calibration now it brings you to a pure white blank screen? i dont know ...........line  6 please fix this

12 hours ago, tribal5000 said:

i think that you use to be able to hold navigation right button while powering on the unit and that would bring you to diffrent menues one being expression pedal calibration now it brings you to a pure white blank screen? i dont know ...........line  6 please fix this

That might be a hardware test mode. I'm pretty sure there isn't a calibration page, as the pedal should auto-calibrate whenever you power cycle.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Line6, can we get a definitive solution on how to calibrate the POD GO built-in expression pedal? My unit covers the entire range from 0% to 100% in the MIDDLE THIRD of the physical pedal position. In other words, I'm at 0% with the pedal all the way back. As I move the pedal forward, it stays at 0% until I'm 1/3 of the way through the full pedal throw. Then it climbs from 1%, and I hit 100% at 2/3 forward, where it stays until all the way full forward.

The sensor for the expression pedal is an optical IR emitter/sensor pair (not a mechanical potentiometer). The emitter/sensor pair sit side-by-side facing a small shiny metal plate attached to the underside of the pedal. When the pedal moves, the shiny plate changes the angle of reflection of the emitted IR light, in turn changing the amount of light reaching the IR sensor. A nice design with no moving electrical parts.

BUT, there must be a way to calibrate this system, as the amount of light reaching the sensor will vary depending on several things not related to the position of the pedal:

1. The reflectivity of the shiny plate will vary depending on exact installation angle, accumulated dust, and age.

2. The amount of IR emitted will vary by LED. Even the tightest tolerances have variations.

3. The amount of IR received will vary by sensor. Even the tightest tolerances have variations.

Pics attached, just for reference. The extra chip on the left in two of the pics is a replacement emitter that I was installing, since the stock emitter in my POD GO failed during an outdoor gig on a hot day. The replacement emitter works great, but it needs calibrating.

POD GO Expression Pedal Optical Sensor 03.jpg

POD GO Expression Pedal Optical Sensor 02.jpg

POD GO Expression Pedal Optical Sensor 01.jpg