Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using FRFR, do I need to add amp+cab on my presets?

molul

I'm thinking about getting a headrush 108 frfr monitor, and I wonder if I should add amp and cab blocks, or just amp block, to my presets. I might have a hard time with some presets as they are already full of effects, but I guess I can split those in two presets.

4 minutes ago, molul said:

I'm thinking about getting a headrush 108 frfr monitor, and I wonder if I should add amp and cab blocks, or just amp block, to my presets. I might have a hard time with some presets as they are already full of effects, but I guess I can split those in two presets.

Yes, you will need cab sims.

• Thanks 1

Unless you're using an acoustic guitar, yes. A significant part of an electric guitar tone comes from the pickups and the speaker. It's the things that touch the air that have the biggest impact on tone.

1 hour ago, willjrock said:

I mean wouldnt you want to use your ears and decide for yourself? Asking people to tell you what sounds "right" and what doesnt, isnt really musical. Exploration, experimentation, is part of the fun.

True, but it's important to understand what the frfr speaker does versus a guitar cab.

Guitar cab alters the sound of your amplified guitar signal, cutting treble, emphasizing certain frequency areas, altering directionality.

FRFR tries to not alter anything.

So you want a cab to get your guitar tone, specially if playing with distorted tone, and the cab makes that sound good!

6 hours ago, willjrock said:

I mean wouldnt you want to use your ears and decide for yourself? Asking people to tell you what sounds "right" and what doesnt, isnt really musical. Exploration, experimentation, is part of the fun.

Totally, but I also like to know the theory, and also in this case, to manage my current presets while I save money for the FRFR.

So glad that I recently got Helix Native, as I can experiment with the amps and cabs at home and then just export the changes to the LT ^_^