Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Record guitar with Reverb from Helix?

I'm wondering if I can get some input from some of you as to how you approach recording your guitars in relation to the use of reverb straight from the Helix. 

I've typically followed the "rule" of recording everything dry and adding reverb later. I like to record multiple guitar parts and then I'll often pan them like I want (keeping them in mono) and then send them to a stereo effects bus that has a stereo reverb plugin from my DAW attached to it. 

Here's my issue, though ... I've never really found a reverb plugin that I like nearly as much as the simple "Room" reverb that comes with the Helix. In fact, I really don't like listening to those dry Helix tones without that reverb effect. It sounds so limp and lifeless without it. 

So what do you guys do? Do you ever record your guitar track WITH the reverb? If so, do you then leave your guitar track in stereo to preserve the stereo reverb effect? How does this affect panning, too? For example, if you have a guitar track with stereo reverb, and you pan it left or right, doesn't that effectively mangle your reverb? I'm also assuming that if you record too many guitars, each with its own reverb, it's going to muddy up the mix very quickly. 

I would appreciate any advice on this. I've seen videos from Jason Sadites where he seems to record WITH some minimal reverb baked in, then he seems to leave the track in stereo and pans left and right, then added another track with the same characteristics. Just not sure what the correct approach here is. 

• 11 months later...

I have the same question. 

Using headphones and comparing the Legacy reverbs, it seems that the Room reverb is stereo. With a setting of Decay 0, Pre-Delay 0, and Mix around 50%, I get a wide, but instant stereo room ambience. 

However, when I try to record that in my daw, the effect turns too wet. It's effect of widening stereo image sounds cheap once recorded. 

So, what is the best practice of recording a wet signal with reverb?