Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powered Sub for PowerCab

OmniFace

Since I have a Helix and two 212PC+, I figured I could probably pare down my equipment overall.

The 212PC+ only go down to 70Hz, and one of them starts to rattle a bit if I try my 5-string bass with them at volume.  So I was thinking of maybe getting a powered sub.  PowerCab has a built in Low Cut option that doesn't apply to the output signals.  So I ought to be able to use L6 Link into the PCs and run a line out to a sub, which usually have their own crossover.

Any suggestions?

Ideally something the same width as the PC212 (~28").

PC212+ does a decent job on bass as long as you're not doing super low stuff (which I am).

Finding a FRFR bass rig to use with my Helix is prohibitively expensive, compared to just adding a sub of some sort for ~$400 or so.

Since the PC212+ high pass filter sits at 80Hz, the sub probably doesn't really need much of a flat response since it's only covering ~40-50Hz of the spectrum.

I just want point out that the cab specs says 70Hz-20kHz neutral frequency response in Flat mode and that doesn't mean the cab goes down to 70hz only but that is liner(ized) from 70 hz to 20hz 

The cab goes clearly lower that 70. Between 40 and 50 there's a lot of stuff going on you can boost or cut effectively, meaning that the cab/speaker is able to reproduce those frequency with little effort.

If you play bass having a sub is still a good idea since the E string is a 41Hz note and a lower B is a 31Hz note.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:05 AM, HotRats73 said:

I just want point out that the cab specs says 70Hz-20kHz neutral frequency response in Flat mode and that doesn't mean the cab goes down to 70hz only but that is liner(ized) from 70 hz to 20hz 

The cab goes clearly lower that 70. Between 40 and 50 there's a lot of stuff going on you can boost or cut effectively, meaning that the cab/speaker is able to reproduce those frequency with little effort.

If you play bass having a sub is still a good idea since the E string is a 41Hz note and a lower B is a 31Hz note.

Yep.  The speaker has some lower, but it does potentially start to "fart" when dealing with the really low end stuff at a reasonable band volume.

So I would prefer to high pass it at ~70 and then include a sub with a low pass at 70 which can handle that area more effectively.

2 hours ago, chasingMango said:

If you want lower freqs, why not get a different speaker altogether?  Aren't you defeating the whole purpose of the PC at that point (not that what you want is a bad thing)?

The point of the PC for me is a FRFR system for the Helix.  Helix has bass amps and such as well.

PC does a good job with bass overall, but can't quite do the low end.  So a sub would just be an easy way to address that while still using the PC as a mostly FRFR rig.