Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Impulse responses

Hillman1312

• 2 months later...

Thanks!!!  :D  Have you made some more?  I'm also trying to find some good IRs, having dual cabs ones would be great since I also heard good things about them.  I'm entirely new to IRs so really am in the learning phase.  One thing, I think setting up the high and low cut in the IR isn't a good idea, since you can just set them in the IR settings, but if they're cut off from the IR itself, then it's gone forever and you cannot get those frequencies back...

I think some of the IRs are more suited for some amps/styles, so if not used 'correctly', it might not sound good/great even if it is in fact a fantastic IR?  For this one, I just quickly tested with a Placater dirty (default settings), and maybe because I'm more accustomed to Ribbon mics so far, so it seemed to sound fairly balanced but seemed to somehow have a smoothing effect to the amp's distortion? 

So yeah I guess for finding an IR, what you're trying to achieve (style of music, amp, etc.) might be more critical than the IR 'quality' itself?  I'd guess this particular IR would be better suited for a classic rock / marshall sound rather than a more modern/heavier/aggressive/saturated type of sound?  Or are IRs generally supposed to be great at everything or are they more generally targeted to a particular style?

3 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

Thanks!!!  :D  Have you made some more?  I'm also trying to find some good IRs, having dual cabs ones would be great since I also heard good things about them.  I'm entirely new to IRs so really am in the learning phase.  One thing, I think setting up the high and low cut in the IR isn't a good idea, since you can just set them in the IR settings, but if they're cut off from the IR itself, then it's gone forever and you cannot get those frequencies back...

I think some of the IRs are more suited for some amps/styles, so if not used 'correctly', it might not sound good/great even if it is in fact a fantastic IR?  For this one, I just quickly tested with a Placater dirty (default settings), and maybe because I'm more accustomed to Ribbon mics so far, so it seemed to sound fairly balanced but seemed to somehow have a smoothing effect to the amp's distortion? 

So yeah I guess for finding an IR, what you're trying to achieve (style of music, amp, etc.) might be more critical than the IR 'quality' itself?  I'd guess this particular IR would be better suited for a classic rock / marshall sound rather than a more modern/heavier/aggressive/saturated type of sound?  Or are IRs generally supposed to be great at everything or are they more generally targeted to a particular style?

Indeed, this IR was made to go with the Placater or 2204 or Plexi amp models. I personally like that tone and don't do much in the more modern (heavier) styles. But I can give it a try of course :-)

W.r.t. the hi/lo cuts, I agree this should not be overdone, but I believe that for this particular IR (I don't have the settings anymore) the cuts were quite moderate. At the same time, since I'm combining different cabs the idea was also to use one cab more for the lower end and the other more for the higher end. Cuts were used to get that effect (in part, it was actually quite a complex preset with 2 or 3 additional EQ's if I recall correctly.