Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suddenly overall too much gain/saturation

Elephantstomp

Hello,

my HX Stomp shows a strange behavior sometimes.

Suddenly ALL presets/snapshots (clean and crunch) have too much gain/saturation in a muddy way.

But it doesn´t sound like a broken cable or hardware failure. Just like dialed in too much gain.

It happend several times and every time when i tweaked something in HX Edit.

One time i could "reset" it with switching the unit off and on. Another time with a backup restore.

This time both didn´t help to get back to a "normal sound state".

I listen to Headphones connected to the HX Stomp, so no extern Hardware involved.

Has anyone experienced this too?

I guess/hope this phenomenon is gone tomorrow.

It´s unpredictable and i can´t identify a cause for this.

My HX Stomp is not reliable with that strange behavior.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Elephantstomp said:

So the million dollar question is... "what did you tweak when it occurred"? (it may be a single event, it may be a series of events)

You may not know (or remember) right now, but take note of it when it happens again. Then do a restore to normal, and try to repeat that same problem!

• Thanks 1

I already made a full restore and backup restore before I wrote.

So...yesterday I switched on my Stomp and it had a proper sound again.

I suppose that my previous repairs had nothing to do with a backup restore.

I guess it´s a kind of DSP overload or bug caused by tweakings and copying presets and snapshots around and renaming.

When after this the Stomp is switched off a certain time, the problem is gone (I hope that will be the case in future).

I can live in peace again when it´s like that.

8 minutes ago, Elephantstomp said:

When after this the Stomp is switched off a certain time, the problem is gone

I don't want to be negative.... but that just doesn't seem right to me.

If it has to sit for a period of time, that's a "cool down period", not just a software reload. 

If this unit is under warranty, I would be using it! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Elephantstomp said:

You are right! It worries me as well.

But unfortunately I am in my 13th Stomp month.

I registered my Stomp for a 2nd year of warranty, but I am no US customer :-(

I would suggest you get in touch with Line 6 through their ticket system.... 

They have different distributor agreements throughout the world.... they may be able to help or their hands may be tied.

You won't know until you contact them with your problem. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 2:00 PM, Elephantstomp said:

Hello,

my HX Stomp shows a strange behavior sometimes.

Suddenly ALL presets/snapshots (clean and crunch) have too much gain/saturation in a muddy way.

But it doesn´t sound like a broken cable or hardware failure. Just like dialed in too much gain.

One time i could "reset" it with switching the unit off and on. Another time with a backup restore.

This time both didn´t help to get back to a "normal sound state".

I listen to Headphones connected to the HX Stomp, so no extern Hardware involved.

Has anyone experienced this too?

I guess/hope this phenomenon is gone tomorrow.

It´s unpredictable and i can´t identify a cause for this.

My HX Stomp is not reliable with that strange behavior.

Thank you

Opening a ticket sounds like the way to go but despite the fact that it seems unlikely have you have tried swapping out guitar, guitar cables, and trying a different pair of headphones to ensure that this is a problem with the HX Stomp?

• Thanks 1

Update:

The Line6 Support suggested to reinstall the latest firmware, reset and rebuild the factory presets without restoring my backup and test.

I did, but same results/failure.

Now I send my stomp a service center (as suggested when the testing is unsuccessful).

In europe respectively germany we have 2 years warranty. I forgot about that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I really don´t get it.

The "too much gain-phenomenon" no longer occurred the last days.

Did the software reinstall help delayed?!

I tried to summon the the disorder to get an information afer which time it happens...but nothing.

I keep and use my stomp and don´t send it to the service center until it happens again.

My dealer gives a bonus year of warranty, so in total I have three years.

That's pretty nice and no need to hurry.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I think i had the same problem : on all amps, saturated sounds (drive between 5/10) seem to add noise/break on signal.

I also flash firmware to latest, reset to factory etc without change... (and try many cables, or other cab, guitar..)

I was forced to send the helix floor back to seller support for repair/investigations (they add 1 year warranty too thanks !)

but they told all was ok for them. (they may did something because problem was solved for weeks)

For now, the problem is back and still persists, maybe :

- too load on DSP ?

- an electronic component failure ?

- latest firmware additions may charge the DSP more than before ..?

So bad, to reproduce, simply play a powercord, palm-muted, and it may appears.

Thank you for any feedback on subject.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 7:24 AM, BackSlash33 said:

Hello,

I think i had the same problem : on all amps, saturated sounds (drive between 5/10) seem to add noise/break on signal.

I also flash firmware to latest, reset to factory etc without change... (and try many cables, or other cab, guitar..)

I was forced to send the helix floor back to seller support for repair/investigations (they add 1 year warranty too thanks !)

but they told all was ok for them. (they may did something because problem was solved for weeks)

For now, the problem is back and still persists, maybe :

- too load on DSP ?

- an electronic component failure ?

- latest firmware additions may charge the DSP more than before ..?

So bad, to reproduce, simply play a powercord, palm-muted, and it may appears.

Thank you for any feedback on subject.

Best regards

Just a suggestion, I have no idea if it will work but try changing the input impedance as well as maybe turning on the pad. The pad is in Global Settings under Ins & Outs.

The same happened to my Stomp. Everything worked fine for a month, but then one day, when I switched the Stomp on, all preset suddenly sound all as if bass was at 10 and treble at 0 and max gain. All presets are now super muddy. A reset did not fix the problem. So, now I'm stuck with a Stomp that sounds awful. I hope someone finds a fix.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:54 PM, Thienpont said:

The same happened to my Stomp. Everything worked fine for a month, but then one day, when I switched the Stomp on, all preset suddenly sound all as if bass was at 10 and treble at 0 and max gain. All presets are now super muddy. A reset did not fix the problem. So, now I'm stuck with a Stomp that sounds awful. I hope someone finds a fix.

Hi,

Firstly, when seeking assistance with unpredictable issues such as this, a “me too” post isn’t very helpful.

It’s a good idea to supply as much information as possible; it may help to narrow down potential causes. For example, what are you connected to/monitoring the audio through? What version of the Firmware is installed on your device? Have you tried re-flashing the firmware?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 11/1/2023 at 12:34 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Firstly, when seeking assistance with unpredictable issues such as this, a “me too” post isn’t very helpful.

It’s a good idea to supply as much information as possible; it may help to narrow down potential causes. For example, what are you connected to/monitoring the audio through? What version of the Firmware is installed on your device? Have you tried re-flashing the firmware?

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Makes sense. Problem is that I cannot tell much. I run the latest firmware 3.60 and I already did a factory reset.

What happened is I enjoyed playing, as the stomp preset sounded great, at the end of my playing I switched off the stomp and went to sleep, the day after when I switched on the stomp all preset sounded super muddy.

What I also experience (not sure if it is related to my bigger problem):

- sometime when I switch on the stomp, no sound at all from the stomp. So I have the switch off and switch on to get sound again.

- sometime when I am using HX edit, connection is lost and again I need to switch off and switch on again to get the stompt connected.

These 2 issues look like more like bad software. Usually bad software is fixed with reboots.