Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting a sorted list of patches on the Helix?

jemenake

Although I feel that the preset browser (when you press the "Preset" wheel and then use the hat switch on the right) makes it much more handy to find patches than on my old GT-3 (where you had to just step through the banks), it would be a lot more handy if there were a way to see the list sorted by name (sorting just one setlist would be an improvement, but it would be ideal to see a sorted list of all patches from all setlists).

Is there a way to get a sorted view?

The only way I've achieved this is to export the patches into a folder and re-import as the OS (Win10 for me) will sort them by name.

However that requires doing every-time you add patches, and I've stopped doing it since using midi to select patches as midi requires them to remain in the same slot as it references slot not name.

That's unfortunate. When I was deciding between the Helix and the Headrush, it seemed that this was the one aspect where Headrush nailed it. Having a list of uniquely-named patches (in the same way that our computers have folders of uniquely-named files) where you then have setlists of subsets of those patches, ordered in a particular way, seems like the way of the future.

Well, if any engineers from Line6 read this and consider implementing it, what would be extra cool would be if you could also sort by other characteristics of the patch (like how distorted the patch seems to be, or how heavy the modulation seems to be, etc.) That would be very handy when you're trying to find a good starter patch to build off of.

17 hours ago, jemenake said:

That's unfortunate. When I was deciding between the Helix and the Headrush, it seemed that this was the one aspect where Headrush nailed it. Having a list of uniquely-named patches (in the same way that our computers have folders of uniquely-named files) where you then have setlists of subsets of those patches, ordered in a particular way, seems like the way of the future.

Well, if any engineers from Line6 read this and consider implementing it, what would be extra cool would be if you could also sort by other characteristics of the patch (like how distorted the patch seems to be, or how heavy the modulation seems to be, etc.) That would be very handy when you're trying to find a good starter patch to build off of.

You must have misunderstood the purpose of the Helix.  It's a performance tool (live or recording).  Other people have built machines that excel at file management called "computers" where you can arrange your presets to your heart's delight then load them into your Helix when you're ready to perform.  Not only that you can have them backed up constantly to other drives or even the cloud to make sure they're secure.

This may be a case of "If all you know is a hammer then every problem starts to look like a nail".