Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native crashing on every load

screeenager

After using it with zero issues for about two years (currently as a 64 bit VST 3 in Cubase 10.5), I have a very nasty problem with Helix Native, all of the sudden.
It started while I was working on a project and I tried opening the window; it froze Cubase, but sound was still playing. Upon restarting Cubase, it showed me the "safe mode" recovery screen, which stated that a fatal exception was found in the Native VST.
So far I tried:
  • restarting Cubase (no dice, same result)
  • restarting my PC
  • restarting Cubase in safe mode (that means no external VST's; when I open it like this, the project opens, everything works)
  • reinstalling Helix Native (same thing happened)
  • disabling WiFi and trying to load up Native like this
  • loading Native into another VST host (Adobe Premiere, which it promptly crashed)
Anybody got any ideas on what else I could try? I'm getting a little bit desperate, have to admit I haven't had such a big technical issue with my setup in years...

112872969_10157515491443123_6364443992275906205_n.jpg

112720096_10157515490158123_8767467255300580833_n.jpg

On 7/29/2020 at 11:23 PM, screeenager said:

After using it with zero issues for about two years (currently as a 64 bit VST 3 in Cubase 10.5), I have a very nasty problem with Helix Native, all of the sudden.

Hi,

If you have been able to use HX Native with Cubase 10.5 previously without any problems, then that seems to indicate something else is at fault. I would not immediately jump to the conclusion that HXN is the culprit, even though you experienced crashes in Premier.

It maybe that something has become corrupted somewhere down the line. Has there been any other modifications to your PC’s operating system or new software added? 

I know this doesn’t solve anything, but for everything to simply stop working as it should, is not logical (captain).

Yep, I agree 100%, that's what's weird to me as well. I've always managed to do my own software troubleshooting (having a bachelor's degree in computer science, I'd feel lollipop if I didn't), but this time it seems to be beyond my grasp.

The first crash occured mid-project, while I was working on a bass cover I had started last month. The Cubase project opened fine as usual, Native worked, everything worked; then after a take, I tried to pull up Native's interface to fiddle with the tone a bit, and that's when it first crashed. It didn't happen after a restart/update (unless something was happening in the background while I was working), and now it doesn't work *at all*.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, screeenager said:

It didn't happen after a restart/update (unless something was happening in the background while I was working), and now it doesn't work *at all*.

Damn! This is probably preaching to the converted, but have you tried turning off absolutely everything that is likely to cause a conflict in the audio/USB paths in and out, and also anything that may be trying to contact the outside world via wifi or Ethernet, firewall etc.? O.K. I’m gonna guess that the answer is - yes.

The situation is such an odd one that I don’t recall anything like this being mentioned on here. I reckon this is so strange that the best thing to do is raise a ticket with Line 6 support. At least if you contact them, and even if they have not encountered this issue, they will be made aware of the problem and take steps to get you up and running ASAP.

Good luck with this.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:56 AM, screeenager said:

...and now it doesn't work *at all*.

I noted that you say you have been using HX Native for about 2 years without any issues. O.K, but you didn't mention what version of Native you are having this problem with. Also, if you don't already know this - the latest version Helix Native 1.93 (released 9th July) is available to download. Not much by way of Release Notes, but it does state that it is recommended for all users.