Jump to content

Connecting Cry Baby Wah to HX Stomp


ATGraham93
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am having issues connecting my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah to my HX Stomp. I have seen that this can be done, but I might be missing something. When I connect the Cry Baby directly to the Stomp, and try to assign the Wah block to the expression/FS, it doesn’t seem to work. Anyone know if this is something that can be done? I am new to connecting additional pedals to my Stomp, so I might be missing something.

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Crybaby won’t work as an expression pedal for the Stomp. You could use it as a regular wash pedal by just putting it in between your guitar and the Stomp’s Guitar In if you like, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATGraham93 said:

Hi, I am having issues connecting my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah to my HX Stomp. I have seen that this can be done, but I might be missing something. When I connect the Cry Baby directly to the Stomp, and try to assign the Wah block to the expression/FS, it doesn’t seem to work. Anyone know if this is something that can be done? I am new to connecting additional pedals to my Stomp, so I might be missing something.

 

Thank you!

 

As Phil said, a wah pedal cannot function as an expression pedal... they are fundamentally different devices. And just to elaborate, if you choose to use the Cry Baby in front of the Stomp, get rid of the wah block from your signal chain... it won't do anything but use up DSP. Minus an expression pedal, you cannot use the Stomp's wah effects.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
On 7/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, phil_m said:

The Crybaby won’t work as an expression pedal for the Stomp. You could use it as a regular wash pedal by just putting it in between your guitar and the Stomp’s Guitar In if you like, though.

I did that. If you put in front of the helix it makes a loud noise. If you put it after there is no noise. I would like to put it somewhere in the middle of the effect chain. Does anybody know how

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/30/2020 at 12:51 PM, cruisinon2 said:

 

As Phil said, a wah pedal cannot function as an expression pedal... they are fundamentally different devices. And just to elaborate, if you choose to use the Cry Baby in front of the Stomp, get rid of the wah block from your signal chain... it won't do anything but use up DSP. Minus an expression pedal, you cannot use the Stomp's wah effects.

Do you know how to assign the wah pedal somewhere in the middle of the effect chain? Thanks.

 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, phil_m said:

The Crybaby won’t work as an expression pedal for the Stomp. You could use it as a regular wash pedal by just putting it in between your guitar and the Stomp’s Guitar In if you like, though.

I just made my wah pedal work within the effect chain. I added a looper block. Then I connected the wah this way. > SEND to wah input. >Wah output to RETURN Mono. It worked. My Wah is A Joyo Wah II. Wah and volume pedal. (The 4CM methods prests that comes with Helix already has the block

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, serneuro said:

Do you know how to assign the wah pedal somewhere in the middle of the effect chain? Thanks.

 

If you're putting an external wah in the effects loop, then you can insert the loop anywhere you want in the signal chain... though why you'd want it anywhere but first is beyond me. Wah pedals expect a raw, instrument level guitar signal. If you start feeding it a signal that's already been processed in various ways with an amp model, distortion fx, etc, it's just gonna sound weird.

 

And, if you're just gonna be placing the fx loop first in the chain anyway, it begs the question,  why bother using the effects loop in the first place? You're just using up DSP for no reason. Just plug the guitar into your wah, and then go straight into the input on the Stomp.

 

Quote

 

I just made my wah pedal work within the effect chain. I added a looper block. Then I connected the wah this way. > SEND to wah input. >Wah output to RETURN Mono. It worked. My Wah is A Joyo Wah II. Wah and volume pedal. (The 4CM methods prests that comes with Helix already has the block

 

You're making this harder than it needs to be... see above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 10:21 AM, serneuro said:

I did that. If you put in front of the helix it makes a loud noise. If you put it after there is no noise. I would like to put it somewhere in the middle of the effect chain. Does anybody know how

 

22 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

If you're putting an external wah in the effects loop, then you can insert the loop anywhere you want in the signal chain... though why you'd want it anywhere but first is beyond me. Wah pedals expect a raw, instrument level guitar signal. If you start feeding it a signal that's already been processed in various ways with an amp model, distortion fx, etc, it's just gonna sound weird.

 

And, if you're just gonna be placing the fx loop first in the chain anyway, it begs the question,  why bother using the effects loop in the first place? You're just using up DSP for no reason. Just plug the guitar into your wah, and then go straight into the input on the Stomp.

 

 

You're making this harder than it needs to be... see above.

 

Cruisinon2 is correct about general preferred placement for a wah and the potential benefits of not using the effects loop on the Stomp in this case if you don't have to.  It might be worth figuring out why you are getting noise when placing the wah before the HX Stomp. Short of a defective wah pedal it could be a cable, battery, power supply or outlet, Input block level(Line, Instrument) on the HX Stomp, or even unshielded electronics on the guitar. Sounds like you have an alternative in place though should you need it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...