Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Compressor Necessary at the End Of Chain?

funkyeah

Hey!  I found a John Mayer preset by Jason Sadites pretty soon after getting my stomp and kind of emulated all my Fender amps after that specific preset.  He has the LA Studio Comp last in the chain.  Is there a way to kind of mimic this in an amp sim so I don't need to use that block?  It does sound better with it on and I'm using it as my solo boost (+8.4dB to +12dB) BUT, I'm setting up a Mission expression pedal and it's making me evaluate the templates I have.

Issue 1 is my outboard OD pedal is before wah currently so I need to place it in the loop.  That may cause issues with some mods before dirt (I prefer some before and some after) and some after reverb but most post-verb ones would be tremolo or Leslie anyway.  Not a huge issue

Issue 2 is ability to control the volume with the amp sim or post-amp compressor block and still having a volume boost for solos.  I'd prefer not to ride the pedal for solo boosts but maybe i can change boosts to affect amp and amp eq parameters.

Issue 3 is the compressor question above.  If I can omit that block, is there a way to do two FX Loops in series or must they always be parallel?  That may fix issue 1.

1 hour ago, funkyeah said:

He has the LA Studio Comp last in the chain.  Is there a way to kind of mimic this in an amp sim so I don't need to use that block?  It does sound better with it on ...

Being an LT user, I never create a preset without the LA Studio Comp near the end of the chain, but I can appreciate your block limitations with the HX Stomp. 

You could try raising the SAG and BIAS settings within the amp. The increased SAG could add some compressor "feel", while raising the bias may create some added "warmth" for lack of a better term. It wouldn't be exactly the same as having the LA Studio Comp in the chain... but it might be enough for your needs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, funkyeah said:

Is there a way to kind of mimic this in an amp sim so I don't need to use that block?

This might appear obvious, but I think that Jason put that compressor in there for good reason. You can always try as “codamedia” suggests (above) and adjust other parameters although if Mr. Sadites thought that was feasible he would probably done it.

• Like 1

Ok, that's what I thought; of course the sensei is right.

Well in that case, can I set the Expression to do - ∞dB to +8.4dB and still have my Morningstar send a message to make it go to +12dB?  It seems like these will contradict each other.  My idea about the amp doing the boost instead will still hit the compressor and maybe not boost as much as I'd like

2 hours ago, funkyeah said:

My idea about the amp doing the boost instead will still hit the compressor and maybe not boost as much as I'd like

The function of a compressor is to make loud things quieter and quiet things louder- squeezed from both ends. That’s it’s job, but it depends how it is set. Mild compression (2:1 to 4:1ratio) is a fairly standard studio setting for guitar/bass, more extreme settings (10:1) it becomes a limiter which will flatten everything from your pick attack to screaming lead - no dynamics, brick wall limiting.

Cranking an amp into a limiting compressor may not be what you want to achieve. Somewhere on this forum (IIRC written by “Honest Opinion”) is a big article about compression - a full 101 of how to and when and where to use it, but rules are meant to be broken.

Play around with the settings until you hear what you’re after. This is a digital system so you can mess with stuff without blowing anything up.

17 hours ago, datacommando said:

The function of a compressor is to make loud things quieter and quiet things louder- squeezed from both ends. That’s it’s job, but it depends how it is set. Mild compression (2:1 to 4:1ratio) is a fairly standard studio setting for guitar/bass, more extreme settings (10:1) it becomes a limiter which will flatten everything from your pick attack to screaming lead - no dynamics, brick wall limiting.

Cranking an amp into a limiting compressor may not be what you want to achieve. Somewhere on this forum (IIRC written by “Honest Opinion”) is a big article about compression - a full 101 of how to and when and where to use it, but rules are meant to be broken.

Play around with the settings until you hear what you’re after. This is a digital system so you can mess with stuff without blowing anything up.

My compressor is set mild and to 31% mix.  It's definitely just to tighten things up and emulate some tube compression I believe?  I'm not sure but I think that's why Jason Sadites did it

38 minutes ago, funkyeah said:

My compressor is set mild and to 31% mix.  It's definitely just to tighten things up and emulate some tube compression I believe?  I'm not sure but I think that's why Jason Sadites did it

Yeah he mentions in several of his videos its to 'glue everything together' in a way before being sent out.  

3 hours ago, funkyeah said:

That will do the job - have fun.

18 hours ago, funkyeah said:

I found the article which I mentioned in my earlier post regarding compressors (and it was from HonestOpinion).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, funkyeah said:

The LA Studio Comp emulated the venerable LA-2A compressor that has been used in studios for years. When you listen to a guitar track on an album, it is compressed... often by an LA-2A, an 1176 (which the Helix does not have) or a variety of other "studio" models, not stomps. Studio compression an important part of the "final guitar tone" you often hear on recordings and players such as Jason Sadites are well aware of it's importance. 

Another useful compressor within the HX line for this task is the 3 band comp... which in the studio is known as a multi band compressor.

• Like 1