Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD Go Edit: Can you press a footswitch from the app? (PG Edit = suffering)

grdGo33

Let's say I bind activate Distortion and change the min/max value of some parameter.  Is there any way I can simulate a footswitch press on the Go from PG Edit?  

Ex: When I click on FS1 button on the "Hide/bypass control" window, it just assigns/resets whatever setting I just changed, (ex; if level was assigned, it'll reset its min to -120dB and max to +20dB) but it doesn't do anything for the current settings; it doesn't turn on/off the distortion and doesn't change the min/max values...  So short of getting up, walking 2 meters to POD Go and hitting the footswitch FS1 manually, you can't simulate a footswitch on or off!?    Rather annoying that apparently you just can't......

And Bonus questions...  As soon as I assign 2 things, the light color changes to white...  So

1) if I wanted to turn off a distortion and change the level, is there any way to still have the light shine as yellow instead of white?

2) the white light is now even inverted... Meaning that the distortion is off and it lights up in white, and when distortion is on, it goes dark...  Can you control it so it does the opposite?  [edit: Ok now it somehow inverted and when the light is shining the distortion is on... Not sure how that happened...]  ->  [edit 2: Ok you can reverse it by enaling/disabling the distortion ON THE POD GO...  So, ex; FS is on, you turn the distortion on, and it 'assigns' on FS to on distortion...   And vice-versa.  It doesn't seem to work from the POD Go Edit, the on/off gets all screwy and it just doesn't work, or at least for the life of me I can't figure out how it's supposed to work from PG Edit..........]

It seems like min/max things just don't work very well and I should just stop bothering with them and instead just aim for 4 snapshots... Would this be a correct assessment?

Bonus bonus question: 3) Also how do you go back to the button parameters without losing them?   Ex: If I'm on FS5 and I want to edit FS4, when I click on FS4, then it assigns a new min/max thing from the last parameter I touched, and if it was the parameter which was already configured, then I just lose the configured values and it resets back to default min/max...  Sigh... 

(and by sigh, I mean that at first glance the software seems to work great, and it does work well for its base features.  But as soon as you try to do anything of the more complex stuff, then you realize that it really doesn't work very well and that in fact it's like either idiosyncratic design or just rushed/bad implementation... [edit3] This is frustrating...  So frustrating...  )

It's perfectly fine!  Is there a Pod Go Edit Manual?!  I've never seen it so haven't been able to read that one...   ha there is..  https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f175c05ef3cce381757/application/pdf/POD Go Edit - Pilot's Guide - English .pdf   Ok gave a quick look of the 20 first pages and didn't see anything but I guess I'll have to read it thoroughly later...  thanks!

Ok so from what I could find in the manual and searching in other threads  (FS = Foot Switch)

0) Couldn't find about activating/deactivating FS. Of course, you can enable/disable blocks, but not 'press' a footswitch from PG Edit...  Lame, or did I miss something?

1) you cannot change the FS color; with 2 changes it becomes white and it stays white.

2) Couldn't find anything in the manual to change the state of a button with press/depressed...  But now I think that the Edit settings are for the switches all at ON, and if you want to ...  No I can't figure out how the logic of how this lollipoping thing works...  The only way I think you can do it is if you physically press on the FS of the Go to save the button states, otherwise, they're always on it seems like on the PG Edit and you just can't change it...  Which is lollipoping stupid. 

Yeah, after messing more with it, it is lollipoping stupid.  You have zero visual cues from Edit about the state of the FS with multiple parameters, and when you save, it saves the block status relative to the FS status of the Go (whether it's on or off).  Then it just inverts the status of the block vs the light of the FS when you press it.  So if your FS on the Go is light up, and you save from the Edit with the block off, then the block on/off is inverted to the FS on/off.  Absolutely ridiculous...

3) Couldn't find anything about how how to click on a FS and being able to edit its parameters...  If you know the parameter (ex; output level), seems you can click on the little FS button next to the setting, but left clicking on the FS will always lollipop things up, and right clicking you can see the setting but not edit it.  It's lollipoping stupid.  And if you go from the FSx on top of the chain, then you don't have access to parameters outside of your block.  Unless again I missed something.  Anyway, looks like really lollipop design, really stupid.

Yeah this is pretty lollipoping frustrating.  It seems pretty much half-assed like if PG Edit can control the Go, but in actuality it can't really, it can only control a limited set of functions and you can't just use the computer to configure/use the Go, you absolutely need physical access to the Go itself to do the things you can't do from PG Edit. 

Also after reading 30 pages of the stupid manual and coming up with pretty much zero answers to my questions, plus an hour of testing to try to figure this lollipop out, I mean, I like the Go for what can do, but this entire experience with the brick unit during update and rather lollipop software is really disappointing and frustrating.

A real PAIN IN THE A$$

14 hours ago, cristt said:

pod go edit is for editing, it's not a remote controller. and BTW you gotta have the pod attached so you have physical access anyways.

You can't even edit properly with the PG Edit, as I said way too many limitations.  You need access to the PG itself to fiddle with the foot switches and check FS status on the unit itself, and some parts of PG Edit are just badly designed and totally unpractical & PITA to use. 

If I had to rate so far the Go:

Sound quality /features/etc:  9/10    I'd say it's near perfect for me.  More effects would be nice (ex 5 or 6 'anything' effects block instead of 4), but no biggie, what it does is already plenty.

Editing from the Pod Go4/10.  A big pain the butt to set what you want to set because of the badly designed user interface and super long lists to scroll through.  Just slow & not fun.

Editing from the Pod Go Edit 6/10.  It works well for the simple stuff; setting parameters and turning blocks and effect on and off.  But once you try to use it to set min/max values and FS with multiple values, it really, really sucks.  So maybe 7.5/10 for editing easy stuff, and 3/10 for min/max and editing multiple foot switches.  Plus as I said you can't even edit properly with just Pod Go Edit, you absolutely need to fiddle and check stuff (FS on/off for instance) on the Pod Go unit itself, which is stupid. 

14 hours ago, cristt said:

and what's that "lollipop" thing going on?? 

lollipop = censored expletive.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, grdGo33 said:

It seems like min/max things just don't work very well and I should just stop bothering with them and instead just aim for 4 snapshots... Would this be a correct assessment?

This.  I think the multiple parameter thing is just half-assed and unpractical to use.  I think we'd all be much better off forgetting they even exist and just go with snapshots.  (all my above complaints go away if you're just using the 'basic' settings and have 1 on/off block bypass per FS...)

Setting parameters is easy in Pod Go Edit. Select the parameter you want to set min and max values to, assign the controller by clicking the box on the left,  then use the small arrows to set min and max values. You can set a different fx parameter to the same footswitch by doing the same thing. You can do this umpteen times. Or you can select as snap.  You can also add 2 additional footswitches, which I've done, to give additional stomp (but not snap) flexibility e.g. to kick in a different distortion or amp gain parameter, or different delay or modulation speed. 

Currently, all multi assignments are coloured white and you can't change the name from Multi. You also can't name snapshots. Both issues have been raised with Line 6. The next firmware update will just be to fix bugs, but we are all hoping thereafter that Line 6 will provide a solution here as these are the number one things being asked for by Pod Go customers.

22 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Setting parameters is easy in Pod Go Edit. Select the parameter you want to set min and max values to, assign the controller by clicking the box on the left,  then use the small arrows to set min and max values. You can set a different fx parameter to the same footswitch by doing the same thing. You can do this umpteen times. Or you can select as snap.  You can also add 2 additional footswitches, which I've done, to give additional stomp (but not snap) flexibility e.g. to kick in a different distortion or amp gain parameter, or different delay or modulation speed. 

Currently, all multi assignments are coloured white and you can't change the name from Multi. You also can't name snapshots. Both issues have been raised with Line 6. The next firmware update will just be to fix bugs, but we are all hoping thereafter that Line 6 will provide a solution here as these are the number one things being asked for by Pod Go customers.

Not sure you're responding to who...!   The TLDR of the questions would be this:

0) Can you, by pressing a button or whatever from PG Edit, apply all the min or the max values so you can hear what it'll sounds like?  (as if you had pushed the FS on the Pod Go, so it activates/deactivates the effects and sets the min/max values) -> answer is apparently:  No.  (has to be done from PG)

1) change multiple parameters white FS light to yellow:  No.

2) Can you turn on/off a multiple parameter from the PG Edit.  -> answer is apparently:  No.  (has to be done from PG)

3) Can you click somewhere in PG Edit so that you can edit the multiple parameters assiged to a FS?    Answer is apparently:  No.  You can edit values in individual block settings, but there is no way to access the different parameter values by just clicking on a FS in PG Edit.  When you click on a FS in the "Bypass/Control Window" it screws up the settings or adds a new setting you don't want, and if you click on the FSx on top of the blocks in the chain, you only have the parameters for the current block.  You can  remove parameters by clicking on '...' of a FS in "Bypass/Control Window", but there is apparently no way to select the FS and then edit all of its assigned the values, something which should have been a basic feature...

19 hours ago, grdGo33 said:

Not sure you're responding to who...!   The TLDR of the 3 questions would be this:

0) Can you, by pressing a button or whatever from PG Edit, apply all the min or the max values so you can hear what it'll sounds like?  (as if you had pushed the FS on the Pod Go, so it activates/deactivates the effects and sets the min/max values) -> answer is apparently:  No.  (has to be done from PG)

1) change multiple parameters white FS light to yellow:  No.

2) Can you turn on/off a multiple parameter from the PG Edit.  -> answer is apparently:  No.  (has to be done from PG)

3) Can you click somewhere in PG Edit so that you can edit the multiple parameters assiged to a FS?    Answer is apparently:  No.  You can edit values in individual block settings, but there is no way to access the different parameter values by just clicking on a FS in PG Edit.  When you click on a FS in the "Bypass/Control Window" it screws up the settings or adds a new setting you don't want, and if you click on the FSx on top of the blocks in the chain, you only have the parameters for the current block.  You can  remove parameters by clicking on '...' of a FS in "Bypass/Control Window", but there is apparently no way to select the FS and then edit all of its assigned the values, something which should have been a basic feature...

I don’t think the point of an editor is to make it so you don’t have to press the footswitches on the unit itself while editing. None of the Line 6 editors have ever acted like this (I can’t say I know of any other company’s editors offhand that do this, either). I mean, there’s a limit to how far you can have the unit from your computer anyway with the USB connection. I usually have to floorboard just beside my chair so I can hit the footswitches if I need to.

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

I don’t think the point of an editor is to make it so you don’t have to press the footswitches on the unit itself while editing. None of the Line 6 editors have ever acted like this (I can’t say I know of any other company’s editors offhand that do this, either). I mean, there’s a limit to how far you can have the unit from your computer anyway with the USB connection. I usually have to floorboard just beside my chair so I can hit the footswitches if I need to.

I don't really get it since it already does most of it... Ex:  If you disable a block in the Editor, it will disable the block on the Pod Go (PG)...  And if there is a foot switch (FS) linked to the block, it will turn the FS on or off on the PG.  So the Edit software already has the ability to control the FS status (on/off). 

They even already have the GUI for the foot switches...  Just implement the likely 5 lines of code so that when you click on it, it turns it on/off, and in the GUI it goes dark...  It's simple programming stuff, if their software isn't made by clowns (meaning it's badly coded and falls apart as soon as you touch any of it), should only take a couple of hours for a single programmer...!

image.thumb.png.49da802084e933b0ee26a3a0943b7978.pngBut no, you get some moronic functions instead where if you click on a FS in the GUI, it assigns new functions or resets existing functions.. It's so ridiculous...  Plus not being able to turn on/off FS with multiple parameters...  As i said, the min/max features seem half-assed...  Badly designed, maybe rushed due to delivery date crunch, etc., but man, it's so ridiculous, it's such bad functionality...

Honestly, I work in tech, in software, and the notion that you could not 'fully' edit your patches from the PG Edit seemed so ridiculous to me it's probably why I didn't even conceive the possibility in the first place.  It's really so ridiculous...  But hey, likely delivery dates & it's not a 'huge' feature, so I guess it was either delivery as it is now, or nothing.

So since this is basically my whining thread (lol) and I basically gave up on the min/max values, I decided to give snapshots a Go.  And boy, was I not impressed...

The way I imagined snapshots would work:

1) You configure your Go settings as you want:  This is your base settings, normal; snapshot1 aka SS1.

2) You switch to snapshot 2 (SS2); if it's 'empty', it just keeps your current settings (SS1), if SS2 has been configured, it loads SS2 settings. 

3) You modify your settings as you would in #1, which basically this modifies SS2, like you would normally configure PG.

repeat the above #2 and #3 for SS3 and SS4, save done.  Simple, elegant, easy to work with.  You setup your snapshots as you would normally setup Pod Go.

Instead, we got this monstrosity:

image.thumb.png.50063322782c0045c9da219bd18dbe34.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.thumb.png.3dbc38f3e7adb08d82d519f39ca263e2.png

WHY?!

So honestly, I could never have imagined that Snapshots would also be such a mess.  I'm flabbergasted.  Before buying the Go, one of the advertised plus for the Helix/Go over others was simplicity, and I was totally unprepared of having to deal with such idiosyncratic configuration behavior.  I'm astonished.  Amazed.  Speechless...  How did such a horrendous system make it to market?!  I don't get it...  I've read the manual like 4 times now, and I can't fathom how anyone would dare claim that it is a logical and practical way to edit snapshots.

TLDR:  Snapshot editing from Pod Go Edit = I want to die, so I'm going home.

37 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

1) You configure your Go settings as you want:  This is your base settings, normal; snapshot1 aka SS1.

2) You switch to snapshot 2 (SS2); if it's 'empty', it just keeps your current settings (SS1), if SS2 has been configured, it loads SS2 settings. 

3) You modify your settings as you would in #1, which basically this modifies SS2, like you would normally configure PG.

repeat the above #2 and #3 for SS3 and SS4, save done.  Simple, elegant, easy to work with.  You setup your snapshots as you would normally setup Pod Go.

This is basically how it works. When you load a preset, all four snapshots are the same. If you enter Snapshot 2 from Snapshot 1, the settings will be the same as they were in one until you start changing them. There's no such thing as an empty snapshot.

I actually think editing snapshots in POD Go Edit is a little easier than in HX Edit... You just click the little box next to the parameter you want to assign to the Snapshot controller, and check it... It's pretty simple. I really feel like you're just looking for things to complain about. I honestly really don't know what your specific complaint about snapshots is...

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, phil_m said:

This is basically how it works.

Sure, that's what you would expect, except if you try to do it like that, it doesn't work...!  So I guess it's 'basically' how it works just like monopoly money is basically real money...!  Or faith healing is basically chemotherapy...!   lol   ;)

So yeah, you try it how it should logically work, and it doesn't work.  So you open the manual, find the snapshot section. First it tells you how to select a snapshot, good, then you're met with this:

image.png.005dcf0370736b69c38411c1a5f589e0.png

So basically, you need to set your blocks snapshot bypasses?  What's "snapshot bypass" option?  What does it do?  But all of the blocks are set to "snapshot bypass" checked (ON) by default, which don't really make much sense if you don't want to bypass the blocks in the snapshots...  But from the manual, if you want the snapshot to bypass the blocks, you need to uncheck "snapshot bypass" (off), then the block will be excluded from the snapshotSo, "snapshot bypass" checked/on means that the snapshots will not bypass the blocks...?!  Does that really make sense?  Did I read it wrong?  How is this so confusing?!  So seems the opposite of 'bypassing'...  Bypassing on/checked means it's not bypassing, and bypassing off/unchecked means it's bypassing, whatever...

So, let's say SS1 sets level = 1, and SS3 sets level = 10, and SS2 has level = 5, but has the effect block "snapshot bypass" checked/on, then it will change the value of level to 5 is you recall SS2?  But, if "snapshot bypass" is unchecked/off, then it will bypass the SS2 level = 5 and will not change the level value?  Is that it?  I just tested it, with snapshot bypass off, it changes the value of the level.  And with it on, it also changes the level...  So either way it doesn't seem to be bypassed...  It doesn't even work.  And even if I turn the effect block on/off with different snapshots, the "snapshot bypass" on/off value seems to do squat.  So what does it even do?  And why is this the 1st thing in the manual for snapshot configuration?!  And how is it possible to be so unclear about what the feature does?! 

Then carrying on...

image.png.2b14c2de7da894ef900bdc883e2c2e76.png

image.png.534e944ae761bc354238d30a73ef3072.png

image.png.a7bafe609d60ad4abad69e8e85c8da19.png

image.png.58c4363a0e965811b14b99991f5a67ab.png

image.png.912eaee503fac0eff8496377dbe720f0.png

I'm sorry but that's completely different than my 3 steps above...!!  You have to mess with controllers, deal with the same super annoying "assignment indicators" on the left... Why can't you just function the same way you normally configure the patches?!

(EDIT:  it really does work like the manual states.  Strikethrough = false)

But yeah, after reading your post and trying it out, it is much less painful than the 5 steps above tell you to do and will make you believe...  Since once you hit the 'snapshots' button in the 'select controller' after pressing "assignment indicator, any other value you change is automatically saved in the snapshot.  Something which is not mentioned above.  In Step #5, it clearly tells you: "repeat the above steps to create snapshot assignments for additional parameters, allowing all to have your determined values recalled per snapshot!".    It doesn't say that you can change other values without having to go through steps 1-4...  So reading that s###, it seemed like you had to click on the assignment indicator, then (you have to) click on assign parameter, then on snapshots button, for every single parameter, for every single snapshot...!!!

Anyway, yeah, snapshots aren't as bad as they appeared to be after trying to figure it out in the PG Edit & then reading the manual.  But again, why is it so horrendously documented in the manual, and why do you even have to click on the stupid "assignment indicator" and then the snaphot in the select controller window?!  Switching snapshots should just allow you to change values.   Maybe a checkbox on top [  ] EDIT SNAPSHOTS on the toolbar which allows you to directly edit snapshots, without that ridiculous "it is first necessary to create a snapshot controller assignment for the parameter (other than for the Bypass)"...  At least if the manual was clear and clearly explained how it works. 

Anyway...  Extremely frustrating.  All those annoyances, bricked unit during firmware update, can't press footswitch from Edit, losing min/max values when clicking on footswitch, can't edit footswitch values from the footswitch, can't turn on/off pedals from Edit, poor manual, idiosyncratic & unintuitive PG Edit for snapshots and others.  All those add up and just make working with the Go a PITA.  It's sad.  It's a good unit for what it does; emulation.  But my god...  Everything around it just kinda sucks.  The software, the interface... It's not the worse, it's just not good, and frustrating and annoying to deal with.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

So basically, you need to set your blocks snapshot bypasses?  What's "snapshot bypass" option?  What does it do?  But all of the blocks are set to "snapshot bypass" checked (ON) by default, which don't really make much sense if you don't want to bypass the blocks in the snapshots...  But from the manual, if you want the snapshot to bypass the blocks, you need to uncheck "snapshot bypass" (off), then the block will be excluded from the snapshotSo, "snapshot bypass" checked/on means that the snapshots will not bypass the blocks...?!  Does that really make sense?  Did I read it wrong?  How is this so confusing?!  So seems the opposite of 'bypassing'...  Bypassing on/checked means it's not bypassing, and bypassing off/unchecked means it's bypassing, whatever...

So, let's say SS1 sets level = 1, and SS3 sets level = 10, and SS2 has level = 5, but has the effect block "snapshot bypass" checked/on, then it will change the value of level to 5 is you recall SS2?  But, if "snapshot bypass" is unchecked/off, then it will bypass the SS2 level = 5 and will not change the level value?  Is that it?  I just tested it, with snapshot bypass off, it changes the value of the level.  And with it on, it also changes the level...  So either way it doesn't seem to be bypassed...  It doesn't even work.  And even if I turn the effect block on/off with different snapshots, the "snapshot bypass" on/off value seems to do squat.  So what does it even do?  And why is this the 1st thing in the manual for snapshot configuration?!  And how is it possible to be so unclear about what the feature does?! 

First, take a few deep breaths... You're making things too difficult here. You're misreading a few things, and I think your frustration is clouding things.

So, first there are two basic things that snapshots do. First, the recall the bypass states of all the blocks in a preset. Second, they recall the values of parameters assigned to controllers (including, most importantly, the Snapshots Controller).

Going back to the first point about the bypass state of blocks. There may be times you don't want the bypass state of a block to be controlled by snapshots. This is what the Snapshot Bypass parameter is for. If you turn that Off, the bypass state of that block will remain unaffected by snapshot changes. This setting has no effect on any parameters in this block, though. Parameters you have assigned to controllers in this block will still have their values recalled by snapshots. A few people have raised this question with the Helix, and I suppose there could be utility in having a similar way to disconnect parameters from snapshots. It really only comes to play when you have parameters assigned to footswitches.

That's basically it.

As far as why you have to assign parameters to controllers before having them controlled by snapshots, it's basically so there's not a ton of extraneous data in the presets themselves, which would slow down preset changes. There a limit of 64 controller assignments per preset, which, really, is still quite a lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alright... The next day...

phil_m:  First of all thanks for your help it helped me understand "bypass snapshot" and the snapshots!  =)  (probably could not have done it without you... LOL) 

I'm just ranting and venting here (also trolling, just a little.. hehe) so please just take my comments with more than a grain of salt!  ;) 

19 hours ago, phil_m said:

So, first there are two basic things that snapshots do.   First, the recall the bypass states of all the blocks in a preset.

Reading the Line 6 manual or sentences like these make me believe I am dyslexic...  I have no idea what that bold sentence is supposed to mean...

Second, they recall the values of parameters assigned to controllers (including, most importantly, the Snapshots Controller).

Going back to the first point about the bypass state of blocks. There may be times you don't want the bypass state of a block to be controlled by snapshots. This is what the Snapshot Bypass parameter is for. If you turn that Off, the bypass state of that block will remain unaffected by snapshot changes. This setting has no effect on any parameters in this block, though. Parameters you have assigned to controllers in this block will still have their values recalled by snapshots. A few people have raised this question with the Helix, and I suppose there could be utility in having a similar way to disconnect parameters from snapshots. It really only comes to play when you have parameters assigned to footswitches.

15 minutes fiddling with the editor, and reading doc & this comment, I think I finally understand it.  So apparently, the only thing this "snapshot bypass" does is that when it is unchecked (off), when you turn on the effect block on/off in Edit, it changes the on/off state for all snapshots.  But every parameter value (except on/off) are still appliedSo the block is not really bypassed now is it?  That's the type of silly nonsense I'm talking about when I say that it's idiosyncratic.  It's ridiculous.  ([edit/Correction] Ah ok... As you said, it's only "Parameters you have assigned to controller" which do change, fantastic, that way people trying to figure out how it works can get confused with this incredible logic where it's bypassed but then it's not bypassed!  Wonderful!  Thanks L6!

Also, if you want to bypass the on/off state of the block, shouldn't the option be on/checked instead of off/unchecked?  Bypass = "A means of circumvention.".   If you want to bypass something; circumvent something; go around it, the bypass option should be TURNED ON, OR CHECKED.  And if you DO NOT want to bypass, then the option SHOULD BE TURNED OFF, OR UNCHECKED.   Yet, in Pod Go Edit, it's the opposite.  You want to bypass the state of the snapshot.  But in PG Edit, "snapshot bypass" checked(on) = block on/off state not bypassed, and "snapshot bypass" unckecked(off) = block on/off state bypassed

image.png.77640c0cd298443deaa382d15bdc7db4.png

But to go back to the  "snapshot bypass" feature. In what use case would that option ever be useful?  If you're in snapshot mode, you can switch between SS 1/2/3/4, but you can't really turn on or effects using the foot switches, and if you're using snapshots, which are basically used to switch from one set of parameters to others using the foot switches, I don't really see the case where you'd want to fiddle with knobs to edit parameters on the fly (or while playing LOL) and somehow manually manage one or many blocks while switching snapshots.  LOL   Just doesn't seem very useful, and I don't get why it's the 2nd thing (1st is how to select snapshots) in the manual, before even "how to configure snapshots"... 

It's really so silly, so badly explained in the manual, and the function works illogically and the checkboxes for bypass on/off are inverted, like seriously...  Even with a cooler head, this sh!t's ridiculous...!

As far as why you have to assign parameters to controllers before having them controlled by snapshots, it's basically so there's not a ton of extraneous data in the presets themselves, which would slow down preset changes. There a limit of 64 controller assignments per preset, which, really, is still quite a lot.

GP Edit should be able to take the 4 snapshots, compare them with one another and only assign as parameters for the values which change between snapshots.  I mean it's not rocket science, it's full blown software running on a PC, we're in 2020, and L6 coders can't compare 4 snapshots to find the differences and automatically assign as parameters...?! 

A list of snapshot/paramValue differences, iterate through each snapshots parameter and see if they're the same for the 4 snapshots, if param value is different add to list. Done!  Your list of differences contain your parameters...  An intern could code this in 20 minutes...  lmfao!  I mean sorry to sound like an lollipop, but seriously...  This is ridiculous...

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

Alright... The next day...

phil_m:  First of all thanks for your help it helped me understand "bypass snapshot" and the snapshots!  =)  (probably could not have done it without you... LOL) 

I'm just ranting and venting here (also trolling, just a little.. hehe) so please just take my comments with more than a grain of salt!  ;) 

Reading the Line 6 manual or sentences like these make me believe I am dyslexic...  I have no idea what that bold sentence is supposed to mean...

15 minutes fiddling with the editor, and reading doc & this comment, I think I finally understand it.  So apparently, the only thing this "snapshot bypass" does is that when it is unchecked (off), when you turn on the effect block on/off in Edit, it changes the on/off state for all snapshots.  But every parameter value (except on/off) are still appliedSo the block is not really bypassed now is it?  That's the type of silly nonsense I'm talking about when I say that it's idiosyncratic.  It's ridiculous.  ([edit/Correction] Ah ok... As you said, it's only "Parameters you have assigned to controller" which do change, fantastic, that way people trying to figure out how it works can get confused with this incredible logic where it's bypassed but then it's not bypassed!  Wonderful!  Thanks L6!

Also, if you want to bypass the on/off state of the block, shouldn't the option be on/checked instead of off/unchecked?  Bypass = "A means of circumvention.".   If you want to bypass something; circumvent something; go around it, the bypass option should be TURNED ON, OR CHECKED.  And if you DO NOT want to bypass, then the option SHOULD BE TURNED OFF, OR UNCHECKED.   Yet, in Pod Go Edit, it's the opposite.  You want to bypass the state of the snapshot.  But in PG Edit, "snapshot bypass" checked(on) = block on/off state not bypassed, and "snapshot bypass" unckecked(off) = block on/off state bypassed

image.png.77640c0cd298443deaa382d15bdc7db4.png

But to go back to the  "snapshot bypass" feature. In what use case would that option ever be useful?  If you're in snapshot mode, you can switch between SS 1/2/3/4, but you can't really turn on or effects using the foot switches, and if you're using snapshots, which are basically used to switch from one set of parameters to others using the foot switches, I don't really see the case where you'd want to fiddle with knobs to edit parameters on the fly (or while playing LOL) and somehow manually manage one or many blocks while switching snapshots.  LOL   Just doesn't seem very useful, and I don't get why it's the 2nd thing (1st is how to select snapshots) in the manual, before even "how to configure snapshots"... 

It's really so silly, so badly explained in the manual, and the function works illogically and the checkboxes for bypass on/off are inverted, like seriously...  Even with a cooler head, this sh!t's ridiculous...!

GP Edit should be able to take the 4 snapshots, compare them with one another and only assign as parameters for the values which change between snapshots.  I mean it's not rocket science, it's full blown software running on a PC, we're in 2020, and L6 coders can't compare 4 snapshots to find the differences and automatically assign as parameters...?! 

A list of snapshot/paramValue differences, iterate through each snapshots parameter and see if they're the same for the 4 snapshots, if param value is different add to list. Done!  Your list of differences contain your parameters...  An intern could code this in 20 minutes...  lmfao!  I mean sorry to sound like an lollipop, but seriously...  This is ridiculous...

I probably shouldn’t bother responding to you because you seem to only want to complain... With the amount of energy you’ve spent writing these diatribes and posting memes, you probably could’ve figured this out a while ago. You can complain about the basic UI decisions all you want, but the reality is they aren’t changing them at this point in the game. The POD Go’s interface is essentially the same as the Helix interface, so tons of people are familiar and used to it by now. Rather than actually looking at it, you seem to be projecting your expectations on it. It’s really not hard to use. It’s the easiest interface for any multi-FX device I’ve ever used, that’s for sure.

• Like 1

grdgo33 it's so frustrating looking at your humongous polemical posts that I can't really think of read them all. Phil has already been overly kind so you really should stop trolling and complaining. Do ourselves and yourself a favour and sell your pod go and buy something else. 

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

With the amount of energy you’ve spent writing these diatribes ....  they aren’t changing them at this point in the game. ...  tons of people are familiar and used to it by now ...  really not hard to use. It’s the easiest interface for any multi-FX device I’ve ever used, that’s for sure.

Fine.  Surely if lots of people are familiar with it and it's the easiest interface for any multi-FX device you’ve ever used, I should just have figured everything out and not posted any of those questions and shouldn't have complained, since as you say they're not going to change it.  You're 100% right.  Thanks again for helping me figure out how to edit the snapshots in PG Edit.

17 minutes ago, cristt said:

grdgo33 it's so frustrating looking at your humongous polemical posts that I can't really think of read them all. Phil has already been overly kind so you really should stop trolling and complaining. Do ourselves and yourself a favour and sell your pod go and buy something else. 

Thanks for chipping in.

15 minutes ago, grdGo33 said:

Fine.  Surely if lots of people are familiar with it and it's the easiest interface for any multi-FX device you’ve ever used, I should just have figured everything out and not posted any of those questions and shouldn't have complained, since as you say they're not going to change it.  You're 100% right.  Thanks again for helping me figure out how to edit the snapshots in PG Edit.

I have no problem with people asking questions... It was hard to actually discern the questions you were actually asking between the rants, though. I'm not a Line 6 employee, so I have no power to say what changes and what doesn't. But I wouldn't expect fundamental changes to the basic UI functions at this stage in the game. I'd just say though, that, I don't know how well I'd react to your "suggestions" when they're wrapped in what are really insults.

Anyway, I think people here are totally willing to answer questions. Fire away...

On 8/13/2020 at 5:58 PM, grdGo33 said:

On 8/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, phil_m said:

This is basically how it works.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, grdGo33 said:

Sure, that's what you would expect, except if you try to do it like that, it doesn't work...! 

In Step #5, it clearly tells you: "repeat the above steps to create snapshot assignments for additional parameters, allowing all to have your determined values recalled per snapshot!".    It doesn't say that you can change other values without having to go through steps 1-4...

Yeah for the record, that's definitely not how it works, the manual was correct and you always need to click on the snapshot assignment button and then on the snapshots button on the popup window for every parameter you want to change:

2) You switch to another SS.

3) You have to click on the parameter assignment button on the left of the setting you want to change for the SS

4) You then have to click on the snapshots button on the popup dialog.

5) Only then can you modify the setting for the current snapshot.

If you want to modify another setting for the current SS, each time you want to change a setting, you have to click on the parameter assignment button on the left of the setting you want to change, and then on the snapshots button on the popup dialog.  Otherwise, any change you make are not just made on your current SS, it's made universally; for all the snapshots.  So I'll stand with my earlier comments about how efficient/practical this 'technique' of setting snapshot is.

1 hour ago, grdGo33 said:

Yeah for the record, that's definitely not how it works, the manual was correct and you always need to click on the snapshot assignment button and then on the snapshots button on the popup window for every parameter you want to change:

2) You switch to another SS.

3) You have to click on the parameter assignment button on the left of the setting you want to change for the SS

4) You then have to click on the snapshots button on the popup dialog.

5) Only then can you modify the setting for the current snapshot.

If you want to modify another setting for the current SS, each time you want to change a setting, you have to click on the parameter assignment button on the left of the setting you want to change, and then on the snapshots button on the popup dialog.  Otherwise, any change you make are not just made on your current SS, it's made universally; for all the snapshots.  So I'll stand with my earlier comments about how efficient/practical this 'technique' of setting snapshot is.

It works how I said it works. You have to assign parameters to the Snapshot Controller to have their values changed per snapshot. Once a parameter is assigned to the Snapshot Controller, you’ll see the value in white brackets on the screen. So you only have to make that assignment once. Once it’s made, editing the values isn’t any different than any other parameter. It’s just now the value is saved per snapshot.

This is how it works across all the Helix/HX devices. It really becomes more evident why it’s necessary when you’re dealing with the Helix, as there’s a potential for up to 32 blocks in a preset. It would slow preset changing time down to unacceptably long if all those values had to be saved and recalled for 8 snapshots. You’re taking hundreds of parameters in that case. With the POD Go, there are fewer blocks, so I can see why someone might assume that it works differently...

There would be a downside to having all parameter automatically controlled by snapshots, though. That would be in the case if you wanted to adjust a parameter for the entire preset and not just the snapshot. That would mean you’d have to change it in every snapshot. It would actually be more time consuming, considering you typically only change a handful of parameters in a snapshot per snapshot basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

It works how I said it works.

Ah ok as you had quoted my steps and started with "that's basically how it works", I thought you were saying that my steps was basically how it works, not that your following paragraphs explained how it did... (I misunderstood, my bad)   I edited & posted last my comment with step just so others don't get confused about the incorrect info I posted...

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

There would be a downside to having all parameter automatically controlled by snapshots, though. That would be in the case if you wanted to adjust a parameter for the entire preset and not just the snapshot. That would mean you’d have to change it in every snapshot. It would actually be more time consuming, considering you typically only change a handful of parameters in a snapshot per snapshot basis.

True... True...  But I know better now than to comment on how it should work, so I'll just leave it at that.