Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ableton and Logic crash after opening Helix Native Plugin for the second time

nueggel

Hey there,

I am quite new to this, but I am happy for any help. After recently purchasing my HX stomp, I wanted to try the Helix Nativ Plugins.

Right now, I am running OS Catalina 10.15.5 and the most recent versions of Ableton and Logic on there. I downloaded the plugin for the first time two days ago to start testing and everything work great. But after retrying today, both DAWs keep crashing. 

What I tried so far: 

- Updating OS

- Reinstalling plugin

- Reset of plugin folder and reinstall 

- Installation of older plugin version

Still both DAWs keep crashing as soon as I try to open the plug in. 

Thanks for any hints or guiding me towards post with similar issues which resolved the issue!

1 hour ago, nueggel said:

I wanted to try the Helix Nativ Plugins.

Hi,

As you say that you wanted to try Helix Native, it must be the 15day trial that is causing a problem for you?

The thing to remember about the trial version is that it needs to keep “phoning home”, therefore anything that interferes with this can cause problems. Check that you firewall and/or applications like Little Snitch, Radio Silence etc., which block this process and they need to be set to allow the plug-in to connect to the outside world. Once a full license has been purchased and Native fully authorises over the Internet it should be fine. IIRC, some users have mentioned that WI-FI connections can also be troublesome while running Native in demo mode.

It’s a real pain having this “phone home” authorisation process for HXN, because even though we are in 2020, some users still have intermittent or unreliable internet access.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Anything more serious, then the best thing to do is raise a ticket with Customer Support, then at least they will be made aware of a serious problem.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:17 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

As you say that you wanted to try Helix Native, it must be the 15day trial that is causing a problem for you?

The thing to remember about the trial version is that it needs to keep “phoning home”, therefore anything that interferes with this can cause problems. Check that you firewall and/or applications like Little Snitch, Radio Silence etc., which block this process and they need to be set to allow the plug-in to connect to the outside world. Once a full license has been purchased and Native fully authorises over the Internet it should be fine. IIRC, some users have mentioned that WI-FI connections can also be troublesome while running Native in demo mode.

It’s a real pain having this “phone home” authorisation process for HXN, because even though we are in 2020, some users still have intermittent or unreliable internet access.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Anything more serious, then the best thing to do is raise a ticket with Customer Support, then at least they will be made aware of a serious problem.

Thanks for your answer! Really appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay in answer! 

Yes, as you were guessing I am on the trial right now. 

So actually, after posting I did another complete sweep and then suddenly the plugin started working again. And it continued working for 3 days... unfortunately, the streak had to end today and I am back to square one. 

The interesting thing is: when I start up ableton with my designated testing track and start playing without opening the plugin interface, the effects and amp clearly works. As soon as I try to do any changes though, it crashes again. So I guess the issue must surely be from the side of the trial and the authorization, as you were suggesting, if I understand correctly.

I am really considering the buy of the full plugin, but this still raises some suspicion in me, as do not want to spend the money for nothing. So do you thing that the device shut down and authorization issue should be gone, as soon as one gets the full plugin?

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it!

8 hours ago, nueggel said:

Thanks for your answer! Really appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay in answer! 

Yes, as you were guessing I am on the trial right now. 

So actually, after posting I did another complete sweep and then suddenly the plugin started working again. And it continued working for 3 days... unfortunately, the streak had to end today and I am back to square one. 

The interesting thing is: when I start up ableton with my designated testing track and start playing without opening the plugin interface, the effects and amp clearly works. As soon as I try to do any changes though, it crashes again. So I guess the issue must surely be from the side of the trial and the authorization, as you were suggesting, if I understand correctly.

I am really considering the buy of the full plugin, but this still raises some suspicion in me, as do not want to spend the money for nothing. So do you thing that the device shut down and authorization issue should be gone, as soon as one gets the full plugin?

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it!

No worries,

I’m really not sure what is happening with your  demo copy, it’s all rather strange. 

Anyhow, if it puts your mind at rest about the fully authorised version of Helix Native, I have been using it in Logic Pro X since August 2017 without issues. I am is still on LPX v10.4, I think, but I won’t upgrade until I see how it pans out - some people are having issues. There was one minor glitch when I paid for the full version, for some odd reason it still thought it was the demo until the end of the trial period, since then no problems. Having said that there are other users on this forum who have lots of weird things happen, but without knowing exactly how they have things set up, it difficult to understand. That sort of thing is even worse on the Helix hardware forum where it usually it comes down to “user error” as it is pretty difficult to totally brick a Helix.

Regular contributor”soundog” is also a long time user of HXN without problems - he did his last album with it!

;-)