zaner9290

Muddy Sounding Cab Models

I bought the Firehawk 3 years ago (I couldn't afford the Helix) still can't...and I've been frustrated with gettting a good tone.  I use my Sennheiser headphones as a reference, I've listening through AKG K240 headphones with a flatter response as well, and I don't hear the crispness I think one should hear in ANY of the cab models...I've fiddled around with Mic Placement, Type etc...so then, I tried turning the cab models off (a painstaking process to be sure)...Clean tones seem to do okay..Am I doing something wrong...I know this will all change when I play through my amp, because of the switch on the back...It would be great to get some advice from someone, because I would like to walk into a gig with just the Firehawk and sound really good.

Honestly, the experience I've had with the FHFX is very finnicky but pleasant nonetheless. Getting to the tones and sounds you want takes time, and what I've found is that the volume is very sensitive. You should try changing or playing with the volume controls in each amp. What I've personally done is that I've created a preset for each one of my influences, so I have a preset called Lettieri, one called Mayer, I have a Petrucci 1 2 and 3, a Kotzen 1 and 2, so each one has its own gain and eq and compression and such.

What fixes it for me is that I adjust the volumes in a way that all of the presets have the same volume between them, so whenever I switch presets it's all balanced. The way I adjust it is with each amp's volume or master control, and the volume pedal is always at the top, only lower it to get silence. I've also found that most amps, as long as they have a minimum gain, the signal coming from the FHFX is perfect without pressing the switch on the back. And if your headphones don't give you a good sound it's probably the headphones, because anywhere I output the signal it comes out great.