Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Backup dialog failed to load..."

JNads

Hi,

Helix Stomp firmware is currently at ver 2.65; trying to update to 2.92.  Running Windows 7.  Installed HX-Edit 2.92; when prompted to update the HX-Stomp after signing in, I am getting a "Backup dialog failed to load.  Click OK to try again." on the Update screen.  All attempts at clicking OK are futile.  Trying to manually "Create Backup..." does nothing - no reaction from HX-Edit software.  Tried to update using latest "Line6 Updater" App and that didn't work either.  Uninstalled HX-Edit and re-loaded it - same issue.  Checked the knowledge-base and forum for this issue and looks like I'm the first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers...Joe

Perhaps try downgrading to the version of HX Edit you were using and creating a backup that way first. If you're able to create a backup with that version of HX Edit, you could do a factory reset before doing the update.

When you say Line 6 Updater doesn't work, what are you seeing with that?

Thank you phil_m,

I was encouraged by Line 6's opening statement on the Software Download page for HX-Edit 2.92: "Doesn't matter what firmware your Helix/HX product is currently running; you can go straight to 2.92. ", so I jumped right in.  But your advise was great, as I dialed back to rev 2.8 and was successful. 

Thanks again...Joe

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am having the same issue.  I have just purchased a Helix LT with version 2.6 firmware and downloaded HX Edit 3.11 and it wont let me update the firmware as the it will not let me create a backup.  I keep getting an error message "Backup dialog failed to load".  Cant even use the File/ Create Backup.  I tried downloading HX edit onto another computer and that one is even worse and it wont even open HX Edit.  I really want to backup & update so I can start loading in presets but cant.  Can anyone hept with either of these 2 issues with HX Edit? 

Backup Dialog faild to load.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, Stevethesparkie said:

I have just purchased a Helix LT with version 2.6 firmware and downloaded HX Edit 3.11 and it wont let me update the firmware as the it will not let me create a backup.

Hi,

I’m not sure how much this is may be part of the issue, but back in June 2019 version 2.80 of the firmware was released. The thing of major importance was that the main Core of the operating system was change. Although it is stated that you can update from any version to the latest without any problems, I am not entirely convinced that this works totally as expected.

My suggestion would be to tackle this issue by first taking your LT from 2.6 to 2.8 and then proceed to the latest revision. Please read, study and inwardly digest the all information given in the release notes for 2.8, so that you are not taken by surprise when the Core is swapped and it may look like the update has failed. Once you are at 2.8, you should be good to update to the latest revision of the firmware.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

"Backup Dialog Failed To Load.  Click OK to Retry."

Helix Floor, running HX Edit 3.11, with the HX Floor @3.01 firmware, MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  I am getting the same "Backup Dialog Failed To Load.  Click OK to Retry."  Clicking OK of course to NO AVAIL!  Can't backup from HX Edit either, no dialog ever shows up.  

Sounds like a coding problem, making the Dialog appear "on top".  Not "Modal" maybe? Not a Mac programmer...

3 hours ago, pgrant99 said:

Helix Floor, running HX Edit 3.11, with the HX Floor @3.01 firmware, MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  I am getting the same "Backup Dialog Failed To Load.  Click OK to Retry."  Clicking OK of course to NO AVAIL!  Can't backup from HX Edit either, no dialog ever shows up.  

Sounds like a coding problem, making the Dialog appear "on top".  Not "Modal" maybe? Not a Mac programmer...

Hi,

From what you have said in your post, it looks like you are attempting to update your Helix floor from v3.01 to 3.11, but you are unable to create a back up using the new HX Edit 3.11 software.

If that is the case, then I would suggest that you revert your copy of HX Edit back to v3.01 and perform the backup using that version. Once you know that you definitely have a fail safe and functional backup copy of all your stuff, then you can proceed to update your hardware to the latest version whilst ignore the prompt to make a back up.

I’m not entirely sure this “automated” firmware update process has ironed out all the “teething troubles” yet.

Edit: My Helix floor is hooked up to my 32 Gb iMac 27” Retina 5k on High Sierra and I have never encountered any of the issues that regularly get posted here. I must live on a ley line or be very lucky.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

From what you have said in your post, it looks like you are attempting to update your Helix floor from v3.01 to 3.11, but you are unable to create a back up using the new HX Edit 3.11 software.

If that is the case, then I would suggest that you revert your copy of HX Edit back to v3.01 and perform the backup using that version. Once you know that you definitely have a fail safe and functional backup copy of all your stuff, then you can proceed to update your hardware to the latest version whilst ignore the prompt to make a back up.

I’m not entirely sure this “automated” firmware update process has ironed out all the “teething troubles” yet.

Edit: My Helix floor is hooked up to my 32 Gb iMac 27” Retina 5k on High Sierra and I have never encountered any of the issues that regularly get posted here. I must live on a ley line or be very lucky.

Nope, No joy... I have tried every combination of versions of HX Edit (uninstalling and reinstalling a ton) and the backup dialog does NOT appear, even after restarting the app and just trying to do a backup.  I've saved all of my presets, setlists, everything I can - but - and this is key, the updates will NOT proceed without doing a backup!  I wish I could choose to skip the backup part, but it will not let me!  I wouldn't even mind the "nag" dialogs that warn me if I don't do a backup, I might lose my settings, but NOOOOOOO! lol

Here's my config again:

17 minutes ago, pgrant99 said:

Nope, No joy... I have tried every combination of versions of HX Edit (uninstalling and reinstalling a ton) and the backup dialog does NOT appear, even after restarting the app and just trying to do a backup.  I've saved all of my presets, setlists, everything I can - but - and this is key, the updates will NOT proceed without doing a backup!  I wish I could choose to skip the backup part, but it will not let me!  I wouldn't even mind the "nag" dialogs that warn me if I don't do a backup, I might lose my settings, but NOOOOOOO! lol

You can install the update without creating a backup by using Line 6 Updater instead of HX Edit.

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2021 at 1:28 PM, phil_m said:

You can install the update without creating a backup by using Line 6 Updater instead of HX Edit.

I am new to the Line 6 ecosystem having just picked up an HX Stomp and was having the difficulties above, and downloaded the Updater application which bypassed the potential issue and did the update, so thanks!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Bought Helix about 1.5 years ago.. am currently using POD HD500x and just now beginning the learning process on the Helix.. Appears to have 3.11 firmware.. Am trying to load the 3.71.. read a few of the posts.. tried loading from 2.8 and then tried to update to 3.71  No luck - keep getting the "Backup Dialog Failed To Load.  Click OK to Retry."

Please help :/

Well, after several trial and error episodes and more digging - I found a post about starting the pedal in update mode and opening the updater and NOT the HX Edit.. This was the key.. That, and updating twice despite the error message.. I was able to piece together everything.. That said, here is what I did in case it helps someone else:

Prior to this process, please back-up your stuff - Mine was new so that step was unnecessary.

1) Down load the latest and greatest software from Line 6 as it pertains you your Helix situation

2) Make sure Helix is OFF

3) Connect Helix/USB to your PC

4) While holding FS6 & FS12 turn on the Helix (update mode)

5) Open Line 6 updater (Do not open HX Edit)

6) Follow prompts. 

7) NOTE - This update takes a while and please see the updates notes about how tedious this process is including the "error messages" etc

8) Mine indicated it failed, so I did the update a second time right away and that went through - I seem to recall this being the case for many.

9) Once the second update was complete, everything indicated that I was now running the most current firmware (3.71) - I restarted everything to be safe

10) If you have a back-up  you should be able to restore your presets - I ad no need for this (see above)

Hope this helps someone.