Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preferred Speakers?

dacop13

So I used my Helix LT with an Orange Pedal Baby power amp into a real Marshall 2x12 cabinet loaded with G12T75 speakers. Is there a preferred speaker that sounds best with the Helix when using a power amp and real cabinet? Thanks

The Helix is really not the deciding factor as far as speakers any more than any single amp would be.  That's all a matter of individual taste and preference since the Helix is simply (in this case) providing just an amp model.  The choices get much more varied if you begin using the cabinet and mic models with FRFR output devices since each combination of amp, cab, and mic setup can be dramatically different.

1 hour ago, dacop13 said:

I agree, many things come into play with tone, I was just wondering if there are any opinions out there about speakers they prefer with the Helix. V30s? Greenbacks? Others?  

You'll get an infinite number of opinions. And all but one are entirely worthless... yours. If you've been using Greenbacks forever and that's what you like, then that's the best choice for you.

Your question is like asking what are the preferred speakers to use with a JCM800, or Dual Rectifier if you using amps instead of a modeler.  It's personal.  As dacop13 mentioned above it's a little different when going FRFR as that's recreating the entire signal path from guitar to mic.  However, even in that scenario what cab/IR you choose is going to be personal.

I am not a fan of V30's - never have been.  But there are others who love them.  I love T75's but there are others that can't stand that speaker.  Similarly there are plenty of people on here that swear by FRFR speakers.  I personally can't get along with them.  Granted I haven't tried very many but I prefer a power amp and speaker cab.  I currently use my LT with a Marshall DSL40C in 4CM, so when I'm bypassing the DSL preamp and using the Helix as my preamp, the DSL is my power amp and that runs through a G12M Creamback in my combo and a 1x12 closed back cab with a G12T-75.  I like the mids that the Creamback brings to my tone and also makes up for what the T-75 lacks.  Yet the T-75 gives me a great bottom end - especially being in a closed back cab on the floor.

I like this speaker combination whether I'm running my DSL, the Line 6 Badonk, a Revv amp, etc.  It's a much simpler setup for me as I don't have to worry about speakers/IR's, mic types, distance, etc.  I'm sure others would say that I'm missing out on a lot of capabilities.  But what some consider capabilities, I look at as a potential rabbit hole that I'm just not interested in going down.  And while I'm not currently playing out, those that have heard me have complimented my tone - so I'm good with this setup.  It's all personal.

On a side note if my DSL even went south where it wasn't worth repairing, I would likely pull the Creamback and put it in a 2x12 cab with the T-75 and get a power amp like your setup.  I've looked that the Orange Pedal Baby and Seymour Duncan Power Stage and have read/heard good things about them.