Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Helix needs an IR for the DT25 1X12 combo

Fenderflame28

Hi all 

I'm wondering if anyone knows of an IR using DT25 1X12 or another combo with a 1X12 and the same speaker? It would really help when setting up my Helix at the computer to hear what it might sound like through the amp. If I could audition amps and FX through headphones or studio monitors with a DT25 IR in the chain it could save me a lot of time tweaking when I'm set up at band rehearsal.

Posted this over on DT Amps but it's a bit busier here.

Thanks 

From what I understand... the DT25 has a Celestion speaker custom made for Line 6... and that it is closest to a Celestion Seventy 80. 

Celestion offers a verity of IR's and a full package for that very speaker.

https://www.celestionplus.com/products/guitar-irs-by-speaker/seventy-80/

Keep in mind that an IR will always include a MIC model and placement as well.... so it will never sound exactly like the combo cabinet itself.... it will sound like a miced up version of it! 

6 hours ago, codamedia said:

Keep in mind that an IR will always include a MIC model and placement as well.... so it will never sound exactly like the combo cabinet itself.... it will sound like a miced up version of it! 

This^^^^^^. The best, most carefully crafted IR in the universe, of any cabinet under the sun will never reproduce the sound of the real thing at your feet. The only real way to get the "amp in the room" sound that so many crave, is to have an amp in the room...

Thanks for your responses @codamedia and @cruisinon2.

I don't need it to sound exact - just close enough when programming at home to avoid changing amp blocks etc on the fly at rehearsal. Space and volume are restricted at home so I can't really connect everything up when designing pre-sets. As I use my Helix with a DT25 over L6 Link all my pre-sets are set up as 'pre-amp only' with the DT25 running the power amp and cab. I haven't really found a stock cab block that can turn 'pre-amp only' into anything close to what I hear in the room. 

It seems the best way to work is to set up an amp+cab (or IR) that gets close to what I want and then set up a pre-amp block that copies the settings and tinker with it at rehearsal to get it closer. I was just trying to find a quicker way.

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Fenderflame28 said:

Space and volume are restricted at home so I can't really connect everything up when designing pre-sets. As I use my Helix with a DT25 over L6 Link all my pre-sets are set up as 'pre-amp only' with the DT25 running the power amp and cab.

If you can get by the "space" issue, volume shouldn't be a problem. The DT25 has an XLR out that simulates the cab tone. Setup the DT25 and just keep the volume down on the DT, the direct out should sill function and give you the tone you need to create your sounds. 

This opens the next can of worms. Creating sounds at low levels often don't translate to louder levels. I use studio monitors to setup my tones, but I run them around 85db - 90db while doing so. You have to take Fletcher-Munson out of the equation. 

6 hours ago, Fenderflame28 said:

I haven't really found a stock cab block that can turn 'pre-amp only' into anything close to what I hear in the room.

And you won't...that's the whole point. You're comparing apples and oranges. Once there's a mic involved, be it a real or virtual one, and you're listening through some other speaker(s), your cabinet doesn't sound like your cabinet anymore. Mic-ed amps monitored through some other output, vs live "amp in the room" tones aren't that same thing. This is why some guys just can't get accustomed to modeling... they need the feel of a real amp. You could spend the rest of your days searching for the IR that'll give you what you're used to hearing at rehearsal, but you're not gonna find it because you've introduced other variables. The mic sim and the speakers you're listening through have a huge impact on your tone, but with your DT25, there's nothing between your amp and your ears but air.

Then there's the other crucial factor: volume. Gig/rehearsal volume and comfy living room volume are two completely different worlds... even if you were using the exact same rig in both situations. But here you're changing not only the output and various elements of your signal chain, but one will rattle the windows and the other won't. The degree to which volume affects tone cannot be stated enough. Taking all this into account, you've got your work cut out for you....

It seems the best way to work is to set up an amp+cab (or IR) that gets close to what I want and then set up a pre-amp block that copies the settings and tinker with it at rehearsal to get it closer. I was just trying to find a quicker way.

Thanks 

This is the "quicker way", as it were. Toggling back and forth between an FRFR output with cab and mic sims, and then removing the cab block or IR in favor of a preamp-only model into a real amp will always require (usually extensive) tinkering to get the results you want in both environments. You're doing two very different things. If you want to stay sane, the only real solution is keeping separate sets of patches for each usage scenario... otherwise you'll be tweaking your life away every time you move the Helix somewhere else.