Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix cab sims causes buzzing in PowerCab

soundmodeler

Hi,

When I use the Helix’s cab sims through my PowerCab 112 Plus, I get a lot of low-end buzzing, especially when the volume or drive is raised. I've got the PC in FRFR mode and I’m connecting with a Line 6 cable. I’ve done some EQ tweaking, but the problem remains.

Using IRs loaded in the Helix - checking to make sure Helix cabs are turned off - or the speaker selections in the PC itself doesn’t produce any buzzing at all. So I guess the PC speaker itself is okay. I ran the Helix through my combo amp, using just the power section, to see how the Helix amps/preamps interact with a different speaker. No buzz.

So the buzzing only happens when I use the Helix cab sims through the PC, but I can’t think of what might be causing it and why shifting to the PC speakers or Helix IRs (I don't have any IRs loaded in the PC) eliminates the problem. Does anyone have a suggestion? 

• 5 weeks later...

If it seems to be tone buzzing, my guess is that you're clipping digitally?  It could be clipping internally on the Helix, or into the PowerCab, or even in the PowerCab itself.

Put the "cursor" on the output block of the helix and view the new VU meters.  See how loud it is and turn down the output as needed.  Turn up the PowerCab to compensate if needed.  Try a limiter or compressor before the output so you can reduce peaks while still getting more volume. 

View the ring on the PowerCab while playing.  If it's clipping the input it will blink red each time.  Again, turn down the Helix, and turn up the powercab to compensate if you havee headroom.

If you are using any speaker sims or things in the PowerCab it could be clipping internally there instead.  You can edit the settings to turn down the digital volume in the PowerCab until the buzzing goes away.