Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB Wet Signal Level how to adjust?

filthy_phil

Hi all,

I have recently leapt from Firehawk FX to Helix LT. I am struggling with recording with the Helix LT. When I record the wet signal (as I trust the tones I am getting from the Helix and don't really need to re amp) it seems the levels the DAW is recording are really low. I have taken a screen shot. The top wave for was recorded with the Firehawk, the bottom the Helix LT. (I have also tested with Audacity, same issue)

Set up is guitar into Helix LT, monitored via XLR to Yamaha studio monitors. USB into Win 10 PC. DAW is Reaper. 

I'm just baffled. On the Firehawk getting the level right was easy, push the big volume knob, set the line level. I cannot find a setting in the Helix to do this. It seems a common(ish) issue as I've found various comments out there on it, but no resolution that I could find.

Anyone got any clues? It's gotta be pretty easy I guess, I'm just not sure how to do it. Some screenshots below. 

ASIO Preferences.PNG

levels.PNG

Reaper Preferences.PNG

Waveforms.PNG

You just need to increase the level of your preset in the Helix. The easiest way is by adjusting the Level parameter at the Output Block. You could also raise the Channel Volume parameter in the amp block. I'd say, though, that looking at those waveforms, you're probably recording a little too hot with the Firehawk. It's looks like your peaking pretty close to 0.0dB there. Really, for 24-bit recording, peaking between -12dB and -6dB, or even a little lower, is fine. You don't gain anything by recording hot. It just makes it more difficult to mix and use plug-ins down the road.

The USB out level is the raw level from the preset itself in Helix. There's no other level adjustment elsewhere. If there were, that could actually make things trickier because it means having another level to worry about.