Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Floor POD Plus is connected to 3 other pedals, and for some reason, it is creating a buzzing noise that won't go away. Also the noise gets louder as i try to play music through the guitar. Anyone know why this is happening?

My setup:

Guitar>Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

Boss NS-2 (send)>Floor POD Plus>Boss CS-3>Boss DS-1>Boss NS-2(Return)

Boss NS-2(output)>Line 6 Spider III 150 watt head

I would put the CS-3 and DS-1 before the POD (pretend the POD is an AMP).

Running the POD's output into a DS-1 is probable killing your tone and adding the buzz.

Then play around with the NS-2's threshold.

If you still have problems yes connect one thing at I time.

Example, just POD, then Just DS-1....

If all 3 are fine seperately then start adding the pedals in frint of the POD one at a time.

• 2 months later...

I tried both methods you told me, and when i put the POD in front of the cs-2 and ds-1 it got a bit better...but the buzzing has not completely stopped, i can hear SOME notes being played

and what channel should i have my amp head on? i did all this on the slipknot built in preset and it made the buzzing noise, but when i did it on a clean setting nothing came out

also when you mean pretend the POD is an amp....do you also mean to have the ns-2 go out to the POD, then the POD to the head?

because i did that and still no difference in sound

i also tried connecting the POD by itself, running the guitar to the POD to the amp head....and the same noise is brought out

another thing is that on my POD, the master volume knob on the back has to be in a certain "sweet spot" to make noise

I've never had much use for an external pedal with the FPP other than using a R-Tron Nitro boost after it (for a wee bit of sparkle). I did try a DS-1 as a lead boost but it never did sound acceptable (before or after the FPP) and it was simpler to just put a boost setting on an adjacent patch.

That said your Spider III head probably has as many (or more) features and settings than the FPP. I can't remember off hand but if the Spider III has an effects loop try going straight into that, by passing the pre-amp of the head. If that sounds good you can start to dig into the different cabling options. If you add a FBV to the head you could probably tap dance up there with all the different options :-) 

Hope that helps ya!

Bill

• Upvote 2

+1 to BillBee

You can probably dial in better tones directly on the Spider, and may not even need the other pedals. (I do not think there is an effects loop).

But if you had to run the FPP into the Spider, you would want to set the Spider to the cleanest flat sound you can get.

Otherwise running modeled into modeled effects usually ends in a muddled mess.

• Upvote 1

my Spider III doesn't have an effects loop, but on the head itself it has some delay tones and small effects like phaser, tremolo, and chorus flange....wont i be able to do a lot more with the FPP?

Hey Again! Really check out the manual for that head. You will be suprised at how many features are built in.

Check it out here: http://line6.com/legacy/spideriii150

• Upvote 1

Hi there.

Re:  Floor Pod Plus.

I have found out, time and time again, with several different amps (Marshall, Mesa, Laney, Crate and a few others) that, to get the best tone possible, you need to do the following:

1.)  Connect your guitar to the input of the POD

2.)  Connect the Left or Right output of the POD, directly to the input of your amp.

3.)  For new Guitarists who aren't familiar with how to accomplish killer tone, the trick here is, to use ONLY the clean channel your amp.  This is almost always going to be the case with any preamp such as the Floor Pod Plus.  The reason is, if you use distortion from the POD through the dirty channel on the amp, it's going to sound absolutely terrible!  Trust me on this.  Yes, the POD is an effects processor as well but trust me, you do NOT want to run this unit through an effects loop on an amp.

4.)  If you're going to use stompboxes, make sure you DO run those through your effects loop on your amp BUT ONLY if they are delay units or modulation units such as Chorus, Flanger, Phaser and the like.  If you don't like the compressor or the distortion on the pod, make sure you're putting these in front of the POD, NOT after it.  Noise suppressors, Gates, Distortion, Wah's and the like, need to be put before the POD, then to the input of your amp.  For example:

Start with Guitar -> Noise Gate/Suppressor -> Compressor -> Wah -> Distortion pedal - > POD -> AMP input.

For modulation effects as described above, run these throught the effects loop (if you have one on your amp) as follows:  Chorus -> Flanger -> Harmonizer -> Phaser -> Tremolo -> Delay

I can tell you from years of experience and with some of the most expensive gear that pro's use, connecting these things in the manner above, has brought out some of the best tone a Guitarist could imagine!  However, remember that, not all amps respond the same way so, you may have to experiment a tiny bit here, with the above configuration.  And as always, tone is subjective so, you may find yourself tweaking your POD and/or pedals.

Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

I just got a floor pod plus off e-bay used and i hear these same noises. Could the caps be getting flakey? i know caps can leak and dry up over time that can cause issues. There isnt many in the unit but enough that they might be the issue.